Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Farther down in the article:

“When it comes specifically to Twitter, 120,000 active websites shared over 4.3 million blog posts to Twitter each month via Jetpack Social before the API change was implemented.”

Still not good but 120k sites is far from 43% of all sites. The price hike is too high though.

As far as gone in a few years like Mashable, unlikely. Changes can happen pretty quickly when needed. But we shall see.
I agree, it’s more accurate to say that it has the potential to affect millions of sites because those millions no longer even have the option of automatically posting to Twitter, while 120K sites which use it now are directly affected.

If you annoy both the extreme right and extreme left, then you are doing something right - Musk (paraphrased)

Actual quote: "For Twitter to deserve public trust, it must be politically neutral, which effectively means upsetting the far right and the far left equally."

And a little later on the same day (April 27, 2022) : "Attacks are coming thick and fast, primarily from the left, which is no surprise, however I should be clear that the right will probably be a little unhappy too. My goal is to maximize area under the curve of total human happiness, which means the ~80% of people in the middle."

So in the context of that time, it was suggesting (more or less):
1) If you are upset, it's because you are "far left".
2) You should accept that because I'm going to upset the "far right" equally.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like (2) was an (almost) empty promise. /s

Last edited:
As it turns out, what upsets people has no first principles, so Musk is utterly unable to act with either precision or accuracy in upsetting people. He's so bad at this that there's no real telling any more what he's actually trying to do.

Of course, like most people who have areas in which they are supremely competent, Elon imagines he's good at this too. But no, he's really bad at it.

As has been pointed out many times, he'd be best off if he just STFU on Twitter.

Reactions: JRP3
Musk is annoying the center and center left more than he is annoying any extremists.

Very astute observation. In the old Twitter, the conservative opinions and voices were muzzled, shadow banned, suspended. The liberals views had unfettered space.

But in the new Twitter, both liberal and conservatives voices can be heard without much censorship. And that is giving a lot of heartburn to the left, because this is a new world they have not experienced. They are used to right wing opinions banned, shushed and silenced not just in Twitter but in much of the main stream media itself.

So now they have to see these horrible horrible view points out there on Twitter and the accounts not suspended:

- Defunding cops is a bad idea
- America is responsible for keeping the Ukraine-Russia war alive
- There are only two genders and gender transformation for kids is a bad idea and should be banned
- We should tighten our immigration and increase our border control.
- Pandemic school closing did more harm than good
- People have the right to refuse untested mRNA vaccines
- Fauci was an autocrat
- Black on black crime is the most serious issue that we need to tackle
- Democrats are soft on crime
- Hunter Biden laptop issue was hushed up by the media mafia.
- Covid started from Chinese labs which was funded by America.
- China is our No. 1 enemy and not Russia
- Russian hand in Trump's victory was a lie created by liberals and amplified by media.

So naturally the Left is more angry now, because the Right is allowed to speak its mind.

Very astute observation. In the old Twitter, the conservative opinions and voices were muzzled, shadow banned, suspended. The liberals views had unfettered space.

People keep repeating this, and it keeps never having been true.

It turned out when actual studies were done it wasn't that more republicans got suspended for posting "conservative" things- they got suspended for posting more factually untrue things.

Specifically the study found
the observed asymmetry could be explained entirely by the tendency of Republicans to share more misinformation.

People keep repeating this, and it keeps never having been true.
Zerohedge was suspended for suggesting Covid originated from Chinese labs
Many accounts were suspended for questioning the efficacy of the vaccine
Many accounts were suspended for wondering aloud if the election was rigged aka stolen.

Now here is the thing: People have a right to say what they want - EVEN if it is misinformation. (except violence, racism and such). Woke queen Ilhaan Omar claimed Israel state was created out of violence and practices apartheid. It IS misinformation. Arabs in Israel have equal rights in all matters as Jews. But she has every right to say that... and make a fool of herself.

Take the example I posted above on the misinformation on TX HB 278. Should that account be suspended? No. They are now exposed as untruthful and lose credibility among neutral observers. Which is actually a good thing.

The above post is a great example of why people do studies with broad subject data.

So they don't end up with a heavily biased opinion of "what is really happening" based on a few anecdotes.

Plus, even THEN your claim about why, say zerohedge, was suspended is... misinformation :)

They were not suspended for suggesting it was a lab leak.

They were suspended because their suggestion including releasing personal info on a scientist from the lab in question.

Or is doxxing someone while suggesting they leaked the virus ok too?

Citations:

Anti-Musk idiots: "But twitter is getting worse!"

Without getting into if it's actually getting worse or not- Would you agree it's possible for a thing to get worse overall, while some specific feature might be better?

Say, for example, an airline that was experiencing much longer flight delays and much higher rates of losing luggage than they did under previous ownership, but they improved the quality of their meals?

Is that a thing that's possible- such that it might be reasonable to read a comment someone makes about the meals being better not being an overall endorsement of the entire thing, but only of the specific thing they cite as improved?-- or is everything all or nothing in your opinion?

Last edited:

It turned out when actual studies were done it wasn't that more republicans got suspended for posting "conservative" things- they got suspended for posting more factually untrue things.

The study is from around 2020. Not that I have statistics to back that up, but I wouldn't blame republicans in general, just Tump(ism), Qanon, and the Qanon-leaning side of MAGA. Sometimes it seemed like a sport to propagate stuff with too little or no evidence (like climate denial and election denial), highlighted by Steve Bannon's (for some time Trump advisor) infamous quote: "The real opposition is the media. And the way to deal with them is to flood the zone with sh**. ”

The study is from around 2020. Not that I have statistics to back that up, but I wouldn't blame republicans in general, just Tump(ism), Qanon, and the Qanon-leaning side of MAGA. Sometimes it seemed like a sport to propagate stuff with too little or no evidence (like climate denial and election denial), highlighted by Steve Bannon's (for some time Trump advisor) infamous quote: "The real opposition is the media. And the way to deal with them is to flood the zone with sh**. ”

I had hoped I was suggesting exactly that by pointing out the thing that was getting people suspended was not "posting republican or conservative things" it was "posting misinformation and dangerous/threatening things" and it just so happened the groups you cite who were far more likely to post such things were also republican/conservative.

My apologies if that was left unclear.

But I mean, AFAIK -0- people were suspended for saying things like "We should reduce the size of government", "I support a strong national defense", or "I support the free exercise of the right to contract with others"

Actual quote: "For Twitter to deserve public trust, it must be politically neutral, which effectively means upsetting the far right and the far left equally."

And a little later on the same day (April 27, 2022) : "Attacks are coming thick and fast, primarily from the left, which is no surprise, however I should be clear that the right will probably be a little unhappy too. My goal is to maximize area under the curve of total human happiness, which means the ~80% of people in the middle."

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like (2) was an (almost) empty promise. /s
The central problem is partly visible here... he is thinking of living, breathing, messy humans and partisan hogwash as math. He’s out of his depth in anything “social."

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday and DrGriz
Status
Not open for further replies.