Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The CNN article does contain this:

"Neely also had a series of run-ins with New York police, a law enforcement source told CNN’s John Miller, including 42 arrests on charges including petty larceny, jumping subway turnstiles, theft, and three unprovoked assaults on women in the subway between 2019 and 2021."

That's actually mentioning 2 more arrests than you.

Isn't that the beauty of Gaslighting? You lie, but you actually don't lie. You seemingly give a series of facts intertwined with opinions, leaving the reader with a specific biased view:

"Neely is fun loving black youth, harmless, dancing to MJ's tunes, who was killed by the a racist white man". And oh BTW (at the end) as a footnote, he was arrested many times and is known to be violent to women in Subway.

An honest unbiased article would have started off with his rap sheet first, the police and judiciary failures to keep him locked up, the menace he posed to public. CNN knows that 90% of the people read the tweet and the headlines and the first few paragraphs. They can't go beyond because the tears in their eyes would be overwhelming and cannot continue reading further to the part.

And that tweet... I was choking read that tweet and couldn't get myself to click on that article to read further.

And Oh, I also found this information on the same thread.. adds more color to how long he has been a menace - more than 10 years - to Subway riders, something CNN won't tell you.

Reactions: bkp_duke
This is much worse than sensational headlines IMHO.

My argument is that the Media (working hand and hand with one political party for cynical short term political gain) are inciting race division and causing great harm to our society with all of their slanted and one way reporting on ANYTHING race.

The result of all this "sensational" reporting has over half of the country somehow believing that America's most Progressive run cities with high minority representation in all levels of local government (Mayors, Police Chiefs, City Councils, Schools, Unions....) are massively racist and therefore in need of defunding or "re-imagining" policing, paying reparations, changing school curriculum, and tolerating riots, crime, and massive homeless dysfunction on the streets.

Just hard to believe that the multi-ethnic and diverse Progressive coalition running San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago for the last century created and maintained systems of institutional racism all this time.
+1. Well said

CNN knows that 90% of the people read the tweet and the headlines and the first few paragraphs. They can't go beyond because the tears in their eyes would be overwhelming and cannot continue reading further to the part.
Source? So far we’ve only established that you didn’t read past the headline.

Best I can find is this study from 2016 looking at Twitter, showing that about 59% of retweets were done without the link having been clicked. But I'm guessing most corporate news organizations aren't going to tell us how much readers read, even though they know how far we've gone.

Reactions: JRP3 and Norbert
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the guy who put him in the choke hold wasn't trying to kill him on purpose. Downsides of these cases/situations has always been people are just not going to do a thing when they see problems in society unless their own lives/family were physically attacked, and even then, you practically have to wait for someone else to physically attack you first before you can do a thing. A lot of times, you don't know what can happen and a sucker punch could get you killed.

You try to help, get arrested or threatened you'll be hanged/killed by public media/society.

I think police response hasn't been the fastest lately neither and this guy had to hold this guy down for over 15 minutes?

It's an unfortunate situation and we should get more information as time goes on for this case, but it's a doomed if you do, doomed if you don't scenario for folks who might want to help, which in turn, makes society as a whole simply just don't care because there is 0 upside to step in.

Just saw this Opinion piece, I thought this part was relevant to Elon:

“the fantasy of the empowered self-made man, the one who is free to say and do whatever they want, the epitome of a particular American dream, unfettered individualism, beholden to no one.” Except, of course, that’s a fantasy — being beholden to no one is not how human societies work."

I haven’t heard if the person has been charged, yet, but regardless of whether he is eventually found guilty or innocent, I’d think he would be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Reactions: advocate8
Uhhmm...I feel like stating the obvious:

Suppression and discrimination of minorities and women has existed since ancient times, long before Columbus reached the new world.

It's a fact globally and historically in all hemispheres and continents. It's not an invention of cable news, the media or any party. It will most likely exist on Mars as well. It's not an hallucination of a mind virus either. Also it's not a lie made up by woke AI.

Not much disagreement with your list here on this thread about Twitter. Perhaps you could discuss something relevant to his “performance" with Twitter, and how that effects the other companies he’s associated with.

Cant match the credentials of some here, but I’m on my second Tesla, have been an enthusiastic owner for nearly five years now, and have gone on endlessly about the quality of the vehicles and their performance. TSLA for a bit less time than that.
But a more important credential? I know cult-influenced thinking when I see it.

Yeah, there's a cult here, it's just not the one you are trying to paint.

I'm on our 4th Tesla, soon to be 5th if the Model 3 refresh happens (PLAID 3 please). Have 4 powerwalls, and have sold no less than 30 Teslas personally to friends and family, and 20+ powerwalls to neighbors (we have high power rates here, AND frequent shut-offs for high wind conditions).

Anyone that's been on this forum longer than you knows I've been EXTREMELY critical of Tesla in the past, specifically about their lack of right-to-repair and treatment of owners of salvage cars as pariahs. I cannot take all the credit, but I would like to think knowing their lead attorney since college had something to do with the significant shifts in Salvage Vehicles and parts availability that happened circa 2017/18. I call a spade a spade, I'm not an Elon fanboi.

Regardless, I think Elon is doing with Twitter exactly what he does at Tesla and SpaceX - pushing things hard and fast, to the point they break, and taking those lessons to improve the product. There have been more features pushed out since he took over than in the last 7 years combined.

As an executive myself - I really like that Twitter still appears to run effectively with 80-90% of it's workforce gone. And I know from other execs that I've talked with that this really has the eye of other companies in the tech sector. Most knew they were overstaffed, but were afraid to be the first to push on headcount cuts and efficiency improvements. Now that Elon has done it, we've seen other execs pushing forward, although not to the same degree. The recession is also giving them a good excuse to push forward on these things.

Dropping 1/3 of their datacenters in a cost-savings move - also like that. IT notoriously over-spends on capacity, capacity that is a high-depreciating item.

Regarding policies, he needs someone to bounce ideas off of, it's clear his "first instincts" are not usually right on a lot of things. And frankly, that's not uncommon for tech types that in their head are used to dealing with "binary" problems related to tech. Human problems are rarely binary.

There, since you asked, that's what I think about what he's done with Twitter. Some positives, some fobbles.

Last edited:
"The art of gaslighting".

If there is ever a course on that - and there should be one for every journalism program - CNN, NYT, LAT and much of liberal media's articles can be used as case studies. Fox News can be used for 'Crass lying'. Fox News doesn't know how to subtly weave a narrative to fool the public, so instead they lie blatantly and get caught easily.

Here is a great example from today, courtesy CNN:

But then Twitter has a way of getting a better fuller context out to the public, so the public can decide where the truth lies. Slowly and steadily the gaslighting days of MSM are coming to an end. No wonder they are all angry writing hit pieces on Twitter and Musk by the hour.

Arrested 40 times and let go.
Not that anyone cares, but it’s Fox that’s doing the gaslighting, and has been revealed to doing as much even before the Dominion lawsuit.

Recall that in the movie/play “gaslight” a criminal husband causes the gaslights in the rooms his wife is in to dim, he knows it, but still tries to convince his wife the lights are not, in fact, dimming. That’s exactly what Fox was doing when they knew full well that there was no stolen election but kept pushing it on their audience.

Those of a conservative bent on here don’t like bias, but bias, gaslighting and lying are hardly the same thing.

Gaslighting is now in danger of being used so broadly as to lose any functional meaning to set it apart from any speech which the listener does not agree with.

That video typifies the concept of flight of ideas.

It's on topic only at the very end. He thinks an Elon-Carlson partnership would be the greatest thing in media history and something that pushes for truth and the center. Yes, the middle, politically. He acknowledges that it could alienate people on the left, but thinks that people on the left have already been alienated as much (I guess he means by Elon, since there wouldn't be much of a point saying that about Tucker).

And it's just him thinking, the only actual info is from the Axios article which was quoted here previously.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the guy who put him in the choke hold wasn't trying to kill him on purpose.
Read this thread on Twitter and then decide whether or not you think it's likely he was killed on purpose on not.

The short-answer - Penny almost certainly what he was doing and the type of choke-hold he had him in incapacitated Neely within seconds and dead well under a minute.

For someone who is supposedly all about the data and first principles, it's pretty clear that Elon is tightly ensconced inside of a right-wing information bubble that is highly biased and only further pulling him in. Ironically, it appears that his addiction to Twitter and Twitter's algorithms which are what's leading him down this path.

Read this thread on Twitter and then decide whether or not you think it's likely he was killed on purpose on not.

The short-answer - Penny almost certainly what he was doing and the type of choke-hold he had him in incapacitated Neely within seconds and dead well under a minute.

For someone who is supposedly all about the data and first principles, it's pretty clear that Elon is tightly ensconced inside of a right-wing information bubble that is highly biased and only further pulling him in. Ironically, it appears that his addiction to Twitter and Twitter's algorithms which are what's leading him down this path.

If only he knew about this new technology called the “Internet” where he could look up what actually happened before amplifying lies and distortions.

Then again, my mom taught me to believe people when they show you who they are.

As an executive myself - I really like that Twitter still appears to run effectively with 80-90% of it's workforce gone.
And not just that, Twitter is bringing new features and capabilities at an amazing fast pace it is hard just to keep up. All with 1/5th of the original headcount.

Lot of people complained about "For You" tab when it was rolled out, but now they have made it really good it is getting a lot of kudos. The 1000 char limit increase seemed like a useless feature initially, but now I can see how some people are using it so effectively it is a huge improvement from the multi-tweet threads. Most important of all - No more eth coin and bitcoin scam posts at all. In fact given that I only see blue check posts now, ZERO bots or scam posts.

Wow, amazing progress in just short 4 months with a fraction of employees and with all the churn

Unfortunately, I don't go to Twitter so someone would have to spell it out for me.

But like I said, until more facts come out, I'm assuming, right or wrong that the other guy didn't set out to purposely kill him. I could be wrong and he'll get convicted if that's the case either way. We also don't know the motivations of Rimbo Gracie nor whether the choke hold guy was even that skilled/knowledgeable of what he is doing. Just because one guy posts it on Twitter and we're to suppose it's all facts?

Status
Not open for further replies.