Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the CNBC interview, when Musk was asked essentially whether the stuff he Tweets etc is hurting Tesla and Twitter:

MUSK: (After LONG pause) There’s a scene in The Princess Bride – great movie – where he [Montoya] confronts the person who killed his father. And he says, ‘Offer me money. Offer me power. I don’t care,’” said Musk.
INTERVIEWER: So you don’t care.
MUSK: I’ll say what I want to say. And if the consequence of that is losing money, then so be it.

Obviously the problem with this is, it’s not just his money that’s lost. He clearly doesn’t believe he has a fiduciary duty to the shareholders, or a duty to “the mission."
And while wording things that way sounds brave and heroic -- he is literally comparing himself to a hero -- the truth is he always HAS vast amounts of money and power, so the notion he’s willing to sacrifice some of it to pop off about conspiracies etc just sounds weak.

Also in the clip of that scene (I didn't see the whole movie), he doesn't literally say "I don't care", but "I want my father back, you sob". It's not a moment of sacrifice or defeating his own corruption, but a moment of revenge for a murder.

Probably in the context of the movie there was no other way to "get justice" and the man is a hero in movie terms, however it is not a moment of going beyond earthly desires.

Last edited:
Also in the clip of that scene (I didn't see the whole movie), he doesn't literally say "I don't care", but "I want my father back, you sob". It's not a moment of sacrifice or defeating corruption, but a moment of revenge for a murder.

Probably in the context of the movie there was no other way to "get justice" and the man is a hero in movie terms, however it is not a moment of going beyond earthly desires.

I was totally confused with that pause/bit Princess Bride quote thing since I didn't think what Musk said in the interview was in the movie.

From this site, I think this was the actual quote (it's been too long since I've watched the movie):

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!”

No mention of doing whatever you want or anything for greater good. Like Back to the Future movies with the whole "Make like a tree and [get out of here|scram]" quotes. :) Looks like a fool quoting things wrong.

I was totally confused with that pause/bit Princess Bride quote thing since I didn't think what Musk said in the interview was in the movie.

From this site, I think this was the actual quote (it's been too long since I've watched the movie):

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!”

No mention of doing whatever you want or anything for greater good. Like Back to the Future movies with the whole "Make like a tree and [get out of here|scram]" quotes. :) Looks like a fool quoting things wrong.
If I had to guess his first choice of movie to draw a quote from was either blazing saddles or willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. However neither movie has an applicable quote so out of panic he went with the princess bride.

If I had to guess his first choice of movie to draw a quote from was either blazing saddles or willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. However neither movie has an applicable quote so out of panic he went with the princess bride.
If it had to be Princess Bride, he should have used this one:

"Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles."

Twitter is just too far removed from the actual sourcing for me.
<Slaps head>. Just like TMC where there are folks who reference the actual source of data and there are folks are reference other people's statements, you have the same in Twitter too.

Have you noticed how often posts in Twitter becomes a source for discussion and dialog here? Never the other way.

For every tool, you need to spend sometime and learn how to use that tool effectively. Otherwise it will be a whine fest. It is like people who drive an EV for the first time and only for 10 minutes and come away complaining how the sudden slowing down (regen braking) is completely idiotic and dislike it the most.

For all the armchair critics and talkers living fat off Elon's hard work...
For the blind uncritical followers...

X19ZPhEAACIAd3slf140c581-c77f-4d51-8b41-ad5062e88070emperor.jpg

I have been following Vivek Ramaswamy on Twitter for a few months now, and I clearly understand his positions on various issues.. and I like him. Same with Andrew Yang in the previous election.

With MSM that would be, Vivek who?

Are you trying to troll us into a political discussion and to get the thread closed?

I dont consider the post you are referencing as political, because its generic and is not talking about whatever "various issues" are that they support, but you are correct in assuming that if someone went down that road of discussing that topic I would take some action or other.

So I guess instead of dicussing the political importance of VR, I could just mention that googling VR showed articles about him by title, from several major MSM, no older than 1 week (or 2 in the case of NYT). Seems relatively well represented, as opposed to "Vivek who?".

Reactions: JRP3
Its just what we are used to.

As a lawyer, all the people you named, all politicians, all celebrities, and especially all media outlets, both traditional or not, are not "the source" of any information. Let me put it another way, with what I am used to, its only a minimal amount of diligence to get to the actual source.

Today for example, the US Supreme Court issued two rulings on Circular 230 cases, dealing with Google's liability. Since I can easily get the actual ruling, i know that any "report" of today's cases is someone who read the ruling. In the case of Twitter its a tweet of someone who may have read what someone wrote about the ruling. And then, with Twitter, its what someone thought about what someone wrote about what someone else wrote about the ruling.

Twitter easily gets you like five levels removed from the actual source!!. And to no benefit. Read the actual source.

Anyway, that's why I am not on Twitter, and other people are. It would never occur to me that the people you named above are the source of anything, even a piece of legislation drafted supposedly by a member of congress is actually drafted by staff, its a fair bet that most congress people don't even read what they are voting on. Why would I care about their summary?

That's the crux of the difference of opinion. As an investor, I care very much about actions Elon takes with respect to Tesla. I care quite a bit less about 30% of the stuff he says is going to happen at Tesla, as he has a record of being overly optimistic. I don't care at all about Elon's opinion of the crime/homeless situation in San Francisco. I mean, were are not pals. He doesn't even live in San Francisco. If I want to find out how San Francisco is doing, I can, like go there, or I can find many sources which are not celebrities or politicians to see what data there is.

But he clearly loves the fact that people read his tweets about crime in SF. He loves it so much he bought the whole company!

The TMC "investor's roundtable" is by far the best source on the company. By far. It consists of people who consistantly post links to direct sourcing of data. Sometimes its posts on other opinions, but the value is really that the TMC posters care enough to do some research prior to posting. On that forum you had guys tracking shipments of Teslas on RORO ships docking in Europe!! With the dates the ships left port and GPS coordinates!

The TMC Energy products forum has actual licensed electricians posting on the technical requirements of systems!

Twitter is just too far removed from the actual sourcing for me. Obviously, reasonable people can differ on this. That much I have learned here.
I think that the celebs and politicians are the source...as far as the mainstream media are concerned...they would rather print froth than what we used to regard as news...as in events, like earthquakes...and even if they do report an earthquake they are much more concerned if a politician commented or better still, a celeb is somehow on the periphery. News competes with reality tv

Reactions: Electroman
So I guess instead of dicussing the political importance of VR, I could just mention that googling VR showed articles about him by title, from several major MSM, no older than 1 week (or 2 in the case of NYT). Seems relatively well represented, as opposed to "Vivek who?".
But that ruins the narrative that Twitter is the only place for real information...

My point is, to get to know about a political candidate, a newbie like Vivek, I don’t need MSM’s spin on that. I can directly hear and read what he said from his Twitter account.
Even more directly you can go to his website and YouTube channel as well as many other independent media sources. You keep pretending Twitter is the only source of "real" information, it's not, far from it.

This actually seems reasonable to me:

Might make sense for a smaller business or homeowner tight on budget, but not for a large company like Twitter. Then again Twitter had been skipping on bills and rent, so maybe every penny counts.
Also usually unlicensed work is done as a general project by a general contractor, it's more rare for it to be more specialized work like plumbing, which requires more specific skills, especially for something like an entire bathroom install (as opposed to for example replacing existing fixtures or remodeling an existing bathroom).

Reactions: DrGriz
Status
Not open for further replies.