TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon: We can reduce the length 6+ inches

Discussion in 'Cybertruck' started by T3slaDad, Dec 7, 2019.

1. T3slaDad

T3slaDad Member

Quoting Elon on Twitter today about Cybertruck specs:

We can prob reduce width by an inch & maybe reduce length by 6+ inches without losing on utility or esthetics. Min height is below 75 inches when air suspension set to low. Will post exact number soon.
    4:02 PM · Dec 7, 2019
    Elon Musk on Twitter

Where do you think the length will be cut from? Let's taco bout it!

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 2
  2. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

Kind of disappointing news. If utility (vault and frunk capacity) and esthetics (look) are not affected, all that’s left is comfort (interior space) to be sacrificed :(

• Funny x 1
  3. boriszima

boriszima Member

That would fit into my garage as of right now it is 3 inches too long. Wife wants it, so just maybe. I guess they can make gate taller so when it unfolds 8 foot still can fit into bed

• Like x 2
  4. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

Meh. They can take out the second row of seats for all I care. I don’t need ‘em.

• Like x 4
  5. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Active Member

Give me the full six inches!

• Funny x 13
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Cyber_Dav

Cyber_Dav Member

I'm really sorry he thinks it needs to be changed. I ordered what it is. It will no longer ( <-- get it? ) be what I ordered if he changes all the numbers.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Fredneck

Fredneck Member

I've seen a lot of people talking about the problems getting it into a garage. Loping off six inches will help that a lot. Maybe we need Tesla Giga-garages!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. geoffmanley

geoffmanley Member

Seriously? It's that easy?

Ok...that's what she said.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  9. sparcs

sparcs Active Member

in later comments he indicated that interior space would also not be affected. they are just cutting out the fat.

here's the tweet in question where Elon replies: John D. on Twitter

• Like x 3
  10. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

About one year ago, I remember Elon Trusk asking to pickup users to submit some list of features they wanted.

May be they should organize some focus group, with users like contractors, to finalize some designs?

11. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

If anything they should make it longer.

Those that whine about trucks being too big should stick to their Model 3s

• Like x 11
    • Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 1
  12. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Agreed! When towing a 37’ bumper pull TT, I don’t want it to look unproportional :)

• Funny x 1
  13. 240W

240W Member

Should have 2 versions, one as is (like the reveal), and another model smaller. Like 3/S and Y/X

• Like x 1
  14. iRia

iRia Member

If they reduce legroom a bit it wouldn't affect me. But fitting it into the garage would be great.

• Like x 2
  15. axhoaxho

axhoaxho Member

That is great news to me, and it will 100% secure my order of the Cybertruck. Please make it so, Elon.

With a few inches shorter in overall length; not only it can be parked inside the garage (for overnight charging,) it can also allow walk-through space to get to the passenger side without opening the garage door (my wife will approve it.)

The Cybertruck is an eye-catching rather-expensive EV. I imagine if I park it on the driveway with a charge cord plugged-in, it would attract strangers to check it out or tamper with it overnight.

(P.S. I will park my old RAM outside on the driveway then. :))

• Like x 2
  16. axhoaxho

axhoaxho Member

On another matter... I know some buyers who choose the mid-size truck (Colorado, Tacoma, Canyon, etc.) because of the smaller size.... easier to maneuver and park in cities and spaces.

I think the Cororada Crew Cab 6'2" Box is about 224.9 inches long, and the Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed is about 225.5 inches long.

If the Cybertruck is 6+ inches shorter than its current 231.7 inches length, it could cut into the Tacoma/Colorado/Canyon size market.

The top models of these mid-size trucks are already in the $40+K price range. The Cybertruck could become an alternative choice to these buyers too.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  17. richtrav

richtrav Member

I would love it if there would be an easy way to remove the rear seats! You could have a nice little extra cargo area in addition to the bed.

• Like x 1
  18. Zybane

Zybane Member

Oh great now we are going to get a neutered smaller pickup because some sedan driving non-pickup morons think the pickup is too big? Ugg I hate social media.

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 6
  19. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Longbed Dually please.

• Like x 7
  20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I would like a version with a single row of seats. And a shorter bed. But that is very unlikely to happen during the first year or two of Cybertruck production. If the Cybertruck sells well I think that eventually Tesla will offer different versions in true same way that the current car manufacturers offer different truck versions.