Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: We can reduce the length 6+ inches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you are happy (or not) with the new news that the CT may be shorted by ~6" and narrowed by ~1" - and that without affecting; Utility (Vault volume/length and Frunk capacity), Esthetics (Look), and as of this morning, no reduction to interior space/volume? Do you really believe these dieting reductions won't effect one or more of these key areas? Lastly, has Tesla released any interior size/volume numbers yet? If not, it makes more sense why EM today would say interior space will also be unaffected (I.e., no check on that). While I will retain my CT order, I was disappointed with the CT diet plan announced yesterday. Not really interested in a Mid-size truck, as I am a Full size one.

I hate to be the party-pooper, but I think the CT as shown is not yet even down to the claimed 232 inches long that people are talking about as being too long. Scaling out the photos in comparison to the short-bed F-150, it appears the CT prototype is more like 244 inches long. I think Tesla is going to have to work hard to get it down to 232, much less another 6 inches shorter than that.

In regards to making it smaller, I would be happy to give up space in the rear passenger area The giant front hood, long windshield, and frunk is not needed by me, either.

The bed is already compromised a bit by the overhang of the back of the cab. It might be 78 inches long at the floor of the bed, but at the top of the bed its shorter. Check out the photos of the bed and check out the slant of the bottom half of the front wall of the bed and the overhanging edge at the top where the roll-top takes the corner. People are concerned by the size of the bed when hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood, but in my experience, you also end up hauling things that are more cubic in nature like furniture, appliances, lawn equipment, atv's. etc. You are not going to get a 78" long dresser or desk in the back of the CT with the tailgate closed, for example. Any further shortening of the bed would be very disappointing.

5eaf2607-d55b-4ca9-87a7-4bb8ffd28bc6-jpeg.485764

On another matter... I know some buyers who choose the mid-size truck (Colorado, Tacoma, Canyon, etc.) because of the smaller size.... easier to maneuver and park in cities and spaces.

I think the Cororada Crew Cab 6'2" Box is about 224.9 inches long, and the Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed is about 225.5 inches long.

If the Cybertruck is 6+ inches shorter than its current 231.7 inches length, it could cut into the Tacoma/Colorado/Canyon size market.

The top models of these mid-size trucks are already in the $40+K price range. The Cybertruck could become an alternative choice to these buyers too.

You said it yourself. Those trucks are all cheap.

If the CT is the same size I will cancel my order. Don't need a mini truck for $70K.

Also, how many Colorado/Canyon/Ranger do you see on the roads? It's not a big market to begin with, and those trucks are all cheap.

• Disagree
Reactions: axhoaxho and jebinc
The bed is already compromised a bit by the overhang of the back of the cab. It might be 78 inches long at the floor of the bed, but at the top of the bed its shorter. Check out the photos of the bed and check out the slant of the bottom half of the front wall of the bed and the overhanging edge at the top where the roll-top takes the corner.

5eaf2607-d55b-4ca9-87a7-4bb8ffd28bc6-jpeg.485764

Ah, I hadn't realised that. That's a pain. I'll have to build my DIY truck camper a bit shorter or a funny angle on that end to fit. Oh well, will manage.

Should have 2 versions, one as is (like the reveal), and another model smaller. Like 3/S and Y/X

There is some truth to that. I would love to have something like my old T100 (not a small truck, but not full size either) in an EV. It doesn't need to do the quarter mile in 11 seconds. It doesn't need 500 mile range. It doesn't need to look like something roaming the surface of Mars. I just want an affordable pickup to do what I do with my present vehicle, haul kayaks in the bed and the occasional piece of furniture and bag of peet moss.

I will order it at either size. My driveway is long enough for long version but my garage will only fit the Minus 6inch one. Some newer homes have only garage parking some have short driveways and some have no driveway like townhomes and cannot park in street. This change will make some people want cancel but will also create new orders. My feeling is that it will gain more sales than losses and there’s no real downside since Elon already stated it won’t compromise space in cabin and bed. It will also be easier to power the fridge or other essentials during a power outage if the truck is in garage. So why are some people so against it fitting in garage? And just barely it seems

If they got rid of that very large windshield. Make the back of the cab flat they could shorten the front a little bit without affecting the interior space. Even taking 6 inches from the truck this will still be a large truck. How far can you move the front wheels back before affecting the capabilities of the truck.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electruck
I have no plans to park the CT in my garage as I want to take advantage of the solar panels. But a shorter CT without sacrifice to function would be nice so that it does not stick out so much in parking lots and structures.

I like almost everything about this car. And plan to get it regardless of its size. But I do wish it were smaller simply because the car looks a bit large for my tastes. Lately I have been checking the dimensions of big trucks I see on the street. The CT is pretty big.

I'm also hoping the camber of the CT adjusts according to the adjustable height so I don't get uneven tire wear as I plan to drive the car at the lowest height as it will make the CT look a bit smaller and sleeker.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacGreiner
I hate to be the party-pooper, but I think the CT as shown is not yet even down to the claimed 232 inches long that people are talking about as being too long. Scaling out the photos in comparison to the short-bed F-150, it appears the CT prototype is more like 244 inches long. I think Tesla is going to have to work hard to get it down to 232, much less another 6 inches shorter than that.

Regardless of the rumours about the CT measurements they are all accurate in 3D if you draw it up in CAD. It is true the bedlength is compromised by the rear cab wall angle by about 3-4".

As for a shorter length without compromising utility...I think thats actually doable by making in more vanny. Theres two feet of unused dash space, and a shorter wheelbase (its longer than a F150 atm) would actually make sense to me. Theres about 11cubic feet of space under the dash I don't know what they want to use for...ie mostly wasted space except the front motor which is small. Won't save much material but would be better packaging IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
My take: there is no way that one size truck can make everyone happy. Pickup trucks currently available from a variety of manufacturers come with one or two rows of seats and beds in multiple lengths. So there are a lot of choices.

Tesla is going to start Cybertruck production with a single version, at a passenger capacity and size that Tesla thinks represents a large market segment. I think it will sell well. I would guess that in the future there will be more than one version of the Cybertruck.

So if they're not compromising on utility, comfort, and functionality, where are they getting the 6 inches from?

Side note: why doesn't anyone going to these reveals bring a handheld 3D scanner and leak the dimensions on the Internet? That would make all this guesswork even easier!

(meant to be sarcastic but would be awesome if so)