Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: We can reduce the length 6+ inches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of the rumours about the CT measurements they are all accurate in 3D if you draw it up in CAD. It is true the bedlength is compromised by the rear cab wall angle by about 3-4".

As for a shorter length without compromising utility...I think thats actually doable by making in more vanny. Theres two feet of unused dash space, and a shorter wheelbase (its longer than a F150 atm) would actually make sense to me. Theres about 11cubic feet of space under the dash I don't know what they want to use for...ie mostly wasted space except the front motor which is small. Won't save much material but would be better packaging IMHO.

I think a lot of folks who do not drive trucks are concerned about the overall size driving in the city when it seems to me the real issue with driving in the city is the long wheelbase. Shortening that would make a big difference in maneuverability.

Reactions: davedavedave
I completely agree the wheelbase should be shorter. Ramp over angle would improve too. There's a bunch of unused space from what I can tell anyway under the dash so it would make sense to do so. No need to make it as long as a F150 if there's not ICE to install.

So the usable parts of the truck will remain the same...

Why then cancel the order? Weird...

If you want to make it longer put a bullbar on the front and a tow bar on the rear... :p

I'm in love with the cybertruck it the way it is now. I don't care if I have to park outside in the snow. This is a monster truck, after all.

But I wouldn't mind a shortened two-door 8-foot-bed version (dimensions like a Ford Bronco) in a few years.

My only concern about the current dimensions is the driver's seating position behind all of that planar front end slope. I have doubts about visibility.

Reactions: Electruck and PJFW8
I'm in love with the cybertruck it the way it is now. I don't care if I have to park outside in the snow. This is a monster truck, after all.

But I wouldn't mind a shortened two-door 8-foot-bed version (dimensions like a Ford Bronco) in a few years.

My only concern about the current dimensions is the driver's seating position behind all of that planar front end slope. I have doubts about visibility.
I agree on the driver visibility question. Perhaps someone who rode in the front passenger seat at the reveal will have an insight?

Reactions: Electruck
So the usable parts of the truck will remain the same...

Why then cancel the order? Weird...

If you want to make it longer put a bullbar on the front and a tow bar on the rear... :p

Are you saying Tesla, which consistently makes things as cheap and streamlined as possible, put an extra 6" of parts on the truck for no reason at all than to make it bigger?

Somehow I find it hard to believe that they will be able to reduce the size without sacrificing the space.

Well thays what EM tweeted, and I think they can do it because the dash is nearly 3ft long which it doesn't need to be, unless thats where they want to fit a full size spare wheel...(as discussed in the spare thread).

The current dimensions are a carbon copy of a F150 super crew with 5.5ft bed atm. (Despite what it looks like on the pull video). Thats what they where following. 6" (150mm) isn't that much, and if out of the dash no-one will miss anything space wise. Think of the dash as a internal front hood, because of the angle of the front windscreen. Its just that without a ICE under the hood theres actually heaps of volume there I don't know what they want to do with. Bollinger for example has the passthrough to the front there.

As for the view out the windows I'll try to do some renders of that tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
In order to make the truck shorter you have to take out of the front. Making the dash shorter will not help with the overall length. You can make the A pillars more upright which would make the windshield more upright. Then you could shorten the distance of the dash to the driver.. Or make the rear doors shorter giving up some legroom for rear passengers kind of like the GMC access cab.

In order to make the truck shorter you have to take out of the front. Making the dash shorter will not help with the overall length. .

Obviously the whole body would have to shrink proportionately, the point was that there is unused, or non-utilitarian space in the front dash, that won't affect the rest of the design. I'd assume this will mean moving the roof apex forward a bit and hopefully a wheelbase reduction as there is enough space behind the rear seats for this without impacting the cab interior space. The dash is around 980mm or 38.5" long atm, so afterwards about 32.5" long. It's likely they''ll take some flesh out of the front and rear as well, so say an inch for both of those would only leave 4" in the dash area. I really wonder just how big the frunk will be. I think we might be surprised. There's a huge volume in there.

If we simply scale the whole design, we can make it 97.3% of the size to get the 6" length reduction. That would knock 2" off the width however. The doors a very thick, so there's enough room to take out an inch either side, but I'd expect they'd scale the length, but not the width as much and keep it a bit wider. The height would remain the same as this doesn't cause any parking issues, seeing that the current full body height is 1500mm (59") it could go down to as low as 1600mm (62") using 85% of the suspension stroke if they wanted to and it would still have 100mm of clearance. That would mean the driver would be ducking to get into the garage at all.

In general I thin losing the six inches won't hurt anyone at all. It's just more efficient packaging.

Quoting Elon on Twitter today about Cybertruck specs:

We can prob reduce width by an inch & maybe reduce length by 6+ inches without losing on utility or esthetics. Min height is below 75 inches when air suspension set to low. Will post exact number soon.
4:02 PM · Dec 7, 2019
Elon Musk on Twitter

Where do you think the length will be cut from? Let's taco bout it!

Looks like Moscow reduce the Truck size already.

Moscow CyberTruck.jpg