Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon " We will be opening up in Mexico later this year."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SolarCity Expands Into Mexico in First International Acquisition - Bloomberg Business

Now we see that SolarCity is entering Mexico too. This could be a coordinated effort. Mexico could be a favorable market for Powerpacks and Powerwall. The federal virtual net metering law opens the door to a strong use case for distributed battery storage. Genate solar energy where cheapest, transmit to use location and store excess at point of use. Very exciting possibilities.

Will they be in Rio in time for the Olympics? Brazil has one of the largest and fastest growing auto market in the world.
Not any more. Auto sales dropped 25% last year in Brazil. We're still one of the largest markets anyway. However, official government policy is to discourage EVs. Import duties would make an S70 cost around $200,000 anyway, a trifle high for getting sales, not to mention that it would be nearly a hurculean task to get approval for even one Supercharger and they would need armed guards 24/7. In short, ain't gonna happen any time soon.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I guess Tesla will open in Mexico during Soonvember?

Edit

Answering my own question.

Tesla has 12 job openings in Mexico City including Store Manager

https://mx.linkedin.com/jobs/tesla-empleos?trk=amworks_jserp_redirect

Interesting that the store manager position was published 127 days ago, while some were added just yesterday.

From the link in one of the descriptions I found an overview of all 1624 (!) positions available at Tesla worldwide:
http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=TESLA&cws=1

"Tesla Motors sets up shop in Mexico"
Tesla Motors a pop-up store in Mexico this week, according to Electrek. Local customers can schedule test drives of the Model S.
Elon Musk disclosed the plan to open the store in Mexico about seven weeks ago. He also tipped a gradual roll-out to Central and South America.
Electrek reports that Tesla hired Google exec Ricardo Blanco to help run its Latin American business.

Link: http://seekingalpha.com/news/2975026-tesla-motors-sets-up-shop-in-mexico?app=1&uprof=44#email_link

Hello All,
My name is Carlos and new to this forum. I visited the Tesla "booth" briefly yesterday at Santa Fe Mall.
This is a very upscale area of Mexico City were lots of banks and international companies have buildings there.

The both itself is just outside Saks Fifth Avenue store which in Mexico are owned by Carlos Slim. I took a few
pictures to share. They have a white fully loaded (even 7 seater option) P70 inside the booth.

Outside on general parking lot they have a gorgeous fully loaded red P90D for test drives!

I had a brief chat with the guys working there, young guy and gal, and they said there are several orders already booked.
I asked them about superchargers and the guy attendant told me they expect to open 15! supercharging stations in the next
"couple of months". Even if this translate to 6 months or so that will be around summer time 2016!

This is great news! I believe price will be same as USA plus delivery charges!!
I did confirm this however it is an "educated" guess as if you check the bmwusa website base price for an i8 and convert that to Mexican pesos
it turns out the msrp shown in bmw mexico website for same i8 is just around $4k more.

cheers
Carlos

166728_10153314094270994_8847455482177226493_n.jpg
945853_10153314199605994_5901338144019396878_n.jpg
946060_10153314097360994_3287751736172797230_n.jpg
12373226_10153314096360994_6661267345673010570_n.jpg
12376013_10153314095220994_1677324805486837317_n.jpg

I was told mostly around Mexico City first then expand from there, Toluca, Valle de Bravo (weekend town for the rich), Queretaro (close to San Miguel), Cuernavaca, etc
If 15 is the initial number I bet you could drive from Mexico City to Guadalajara (tech hub) using superchargers on these initial setups.

I was told mostly around Mexico City first then expand from there, Toluca, Valle de Bravo (weekend town for the rich), Queretaro (close to San Miguel), Cuernavaca, etc
If 15 is the initial number I bet you could drive from Mexico City to Guadalajara (tech hub) using superchargers on these initial setups.

Hi Carlos, thanks for the report and welcome! Always good to have news from locals.

S70 starts at equivalent of $79,515 plus $12,737 VAT. Ouch.

Model S does not qualify yet for NAFTA duty free importation.

Gigafactory can't come on line soon enough.
Of some reason the air suspension is included in all models, is this something that may come to other market later or could it be that the roads in Mexico is so bad? (Pure speculation)