Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon " We will be opening up in Mexico later this year."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of some reason the air suspension is included in all models, is this something that may come to other market later or could it be that the roads in Mexico is so bad? (Pure speculation)

My guess would be that it will be an emerging economy special, including the air suspension.

BTW my bad on the price. It is $79,515 for the S70D plus VAT and $74,610 for the S70 plus VAT.

I tried to figure out how significant a market Mexico can become.

Mercedes Benz sold 38k cars in Canada in 2014 and 19k units in Mexico during 2014.

So if Mexico buys at half the Canadian rate that would be about 600 Model S.

The Mexican new car market is about 1M new cars per year.

Mexico also imports roughly 800k 3-5 year old used American cars per year.

So in addition to new cars, once there are service centers and Superchargers, Mexico might import a significant amount of used Teslas. Bolstering American resale values.

Most People who admire Elon don't fully understand Elon**

Elon is fixated on countries with pollution problems, even if only partially driven by ICE cars.

Elon does NOT prioritize based on profitability or business rationality.

Elon only cares about his own personal goals and mission in life.

Elon does not care about money enough to care about shareholders or debtors. They are ALL just a piece in his utility function.

Elon has zero loyalty to his secretary, his wife, his CFO or you or his followers or his admirers.

Elon lives in his own world...in his head and he is A-OK with that ....and could care less what anyone thinks!

Elon will only maximize his own personal utility function in/for life.

Anyone who does not get this does not understand Elon.

Most People who admire Elon don't fully understand Elon**

Elon is fixated on countries with pollution problems, even if only partially driven by ICE cars.

Elon does NOT prioritize based on profitability or business rationality.

Elon only cares about his own personal goals and mission in life.

Elon does not care about money enough to care about shareholders or debtors. They are ALL just a piece in his utility function.

Elon has zero loyalty to his secretary, his wife, his CFO or you or his followers or his admirers.

Elon lives in his own world...in his head and he is A-OK with that ....and could care less what anyone thinks!

Elon will only maximize his own personal utility function in/for life.

Anyone who does not get this does not understand Elon.
I would say you are wrong. Elon went to Norway first in Europe. India and other countries where pollution is a huge issue are not even in his thought process now.

As a company, surviving and capitalizing and then thriving while pushing the clean agenda is what in his mind.

I would say you are wrong. Elon went to Norway first in Europe. India and other countries where pollution is a huge issue are not even in his thought process now.

As a company, surviving and capitalizing and then thriving while pushing the clean agenda is what in his mind.

Well, I did not think it was necessary for me to say that Elon is super smart !

Elon went to Norway because that's the money was ( from the oll boom that has generated billions for Norway and made Norway ( like the Saudis) very, very rich. And Europe, because that's again where is a lot of money (and incentives ) for clean air technology.

Elon did not go to India because there is not much money there !!! But, India, China and Mexico are where the problems are ...that Elon wants to solve.

So, being that Elon is super smart, he goes where the money is, builds great products for those with the money ( plus incentives ) that they can afford.

Elon will then take that money and basically develop cheap products ( and give away technology and patents ) to further his primary missions in life, which is pollution ...and where the hundreds of millions and billions of people reside...who churn out the pollution.

So, yeah Elon is being super smart. And, Elon is maximizing his own personal objective function by using this strategy over time ' t' .

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

With Norway, I was speaking about the recent past, what he did and why maybe Elon did what he did.

Your link re India is about the future....5 years from now. Tesla will not be selling much in India even 5 years from now ...whether it be cars or batteries. Ditto for Mexico.

And, unlike in Western countries, most of the wealthly people in countries like India don't pay taxes ( in India it is something like 8 % of federal fiscal revenues ). And, Indians are super cheap. Except the billionaires, of which there are quite a few ( like the Tatas who through their charitable Trust, for example) own a very large chunk of the real Indian economy with a ton of companies from steel to chemicals, to fertilizers, to consumer to technology, to services and yes also cars as in Tata Motors ( who also own 100 PC of Range Rover and Jaguar).

The wealth is India is at the very, very top and highly concentrated. Most of the folks below that ( just like China) don't want to risk getting caught in the government forceps and so they surreptiously move a lot of their USD outside India ( just like the Chinese) and one reason why both currencies - the Chinese Yuan and the Indian Rupee are, and have been, so weak.

The article headline is about 5 years from now but references statistics today.

Tesla is not planning on selling 10s of millions of cars any time soon.

The wealth concentration in India helps sellers of luxury cars.

Millionaires and multi-millionaires.

The reason Tesla is in Mexico and not India is because shipping cost and tariffs.

In other words business reasons.

Not any more. Auto sales dropped 25% last year in Brazil. We're still one of the largest markets anyway. However, official government policy is to discourage EVs. Import duties would make an S70 cost around $200,000 anyway, a trifle high for getting sales, not to mention that it would be nearly a hurculean task to get approval for even one Supercharger and they would need armed guards 24/7. In short, ain't gonna happen any time soon.
Tesla does now accept orders for Model 3, I placed one. In addition in a stage last act of the outgoing Government they passed an EV exemption from import duties as well as, in SP and RJ at least, huge reduction in annual license fees. We'll see how that develops...