Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, Where is the FSD features you promised?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The main reason to buy FSD now is fear of the price-hike when it is announced that new hardware is needed. For example, this is what I imagine appearing on mytesla:

Add FSD software - 10,000 (prior to software upgrade, we will install the necessary hardware upgrade for free).

Reactions: Carl
I will as soon as there is another comparable EV. Can't wait to bail from Tesla ecosystem after all of their nonsense. I freely admit there is no other EV available that I could tolerate to drive. That will change in 1-2 years I assume. Competition is good for me, but bad for Tesla.

Mission E is high on my list, must haves 400 mile range, 20 min 80% charge

The main reason to buy FSD now is fear of the price-hike when it is announced that new hardware is needed. For example, this is what I imagine appearing on mytesla:

Add FSD software - 10,000 (prior to software upgrade, we will install the necessary hardware upgrade for free).

It was something like that, and poorly done. Tesla made higher margins but has nothing to show to the customers. Like many have said they should have stuck with the same AP price, promised AP1 parity soon and then sell further features when they were available. Lets see if they learned with the Model 3 launch

@JonMc I would settle for either a) 350mile range, b) 20 min 80%, or c) a supercharger in my country. Well, need a service center too still, with current track records ;)

@Tiger Superchargers are growing quickly in Europe, specially the periphery. Spain is getting hit now, soon Portugal on the mediterranean side, haven't looked how eastern Europe is coming along. Once you live with the car you will understand my wants. I would say that the 20% charging is the most important item. The 300 miles of my current 90D is pretty good, but because of the supercharge every trip is at least an hour longer than with an ICE. Sometimes you have to charge but it isn't an ideal rest stop, so you end up charging wasting time and then having to drive another hour or so to stop and rest.

That's really the thing some are having a hard time grasping, right?

What I would welcome as a thought exercise is thinking very hard as to why that is: Why there are more and more disillusioned Tesla owners on TMC. Is it because we have "amazing interpersonal relationships" - aka we're just unreasonable/impossible people - or is it because where there is smoke, there is fire? Could Tesla the company - and Elon the CEO in this thread - be actually the one to blame for all these misses, missteps and misleading communications?

The facts of this matter are very simple, to me. Tesla is the only company in the world making a premium large-battery electric car (outside of Rimac, which is volume and cost prohibitive for many). They are also the only car company in the world who have a OTA software updateable platform. For others the Supercharger network is the third big differentiator, though not so important for me. If you want and like a large-battery BEV or those other two features, Tesla is the only product you want at this time. Some things will change starting in 2018, but until then, this is it.

For me, Tesla will always get kudos and its hallowed place in history for this achievement. If GM killed the electric car, Tesla gave birth to it the second time singlehandedly. For this fact I will always respect Tesla. And I do think they will succeed with Model 3 and drag on the rest of the industry into the new BEV era.

That said, there has been so much potentially ethically questionable activity surrounding Tesla starting with the P85D HP debacle and continuing throughout the past three years, that I find it very hard to like the Tesla company of today. There are too many potential, ethically concerning things that worry me there. And I can definitely see where people like @Bladerskb or @oktane are coming from with their views, even though I am not as strict with my conclusions as they are.

The cars are great products. That does not automatically translate into the company being the same.
You have a point - on the other hand I'd like to see a per capita statistic on disillusioned owners - then compare it to the per capital number from three years ago and also compare it to that of other auto makers. There are also a lot more Tesla owners than 3 years ago.

Wrong about what? Yes, that's fine if Tesla charges more for it later. That's the incentive of paying for it up front. My point however is: What if you paid for it up front, then sell your car and it was never delivered? You should then be entitled to a refund since the product you paid for was never delivered. That is at a minimum. If they offered refunds, they'd probably get a lot more people willing to fork out the cash up front, lining their pockets even more. And if the refund was offered to anyone at anytime before it's activated, even those keeping their car, then yes, they run the risk of paying a higher price later if they choose to refund now and pay later. So what! That should be the owner's choice if TESLA HAS NOT DELIVERED. Tesla benefits from having that money in their account, must like the 400,000 $1,000 Model 3 deposits in their account and working for them. Even if people cancel their reservation, Tesla still make use of your money while you gave it to them and still comes out a head. It's becoming more like the lottery. They take a bunch of money in, pay it out over 26 years and effectively have the original money spent in their accounts after that money has done all the work to make the 26 yearly payouts. Or, they offer you a reduced payout if you take it in cash up front. You win a $100,000,000 jackpot, want cash payout, you get closer to $60,000,000. Who keeps the $40,000,000 left over? It's being put to work to make back the $60,000,000 that was paid out. Tesla is doing the same. Working with other people's money.
Tesla did not promise me a time frame. I knew that when i paid my $3K. Look - I'm a tough bastard in the business side of my life but wrt my Tesla it was obvious what I'm buying for $3K and that there are no guarantees. It's just fun money. I'd be a fool if I thought otherwise.

Reactions: ahkahn
@AnxietyRanger - regardless of the past year I think we can agree that AP2 will be far ahead of where it is now, a year from now. The idea that they won't deliver significant continued software progress over the next 12 months is unlikely (not that you were claiming otherwise - I know you weren't). Personally I'm satisfied knowing that the main board is swappable when more tflops are needed and that we have 360 camera coverage to feed the board + hundreds of thousands of Model 3 buyers coming on board to provide continued pressure for progress. Finally add in the fact that autopilot appears to be musk's top priority. I've seen real learning over the past two releases since I turned on video uploading (car no longer tries to kill me at a spot where it always did before).

I think at this point Elon is pretty busy with the Model 3 unveiling. From the other firmware thread, I'm guessing even if they have some EAP or FSD firmware up their sleeve they would time it well with the Model 3 release (maximize the PR value).

This is typical tesla alternative facts where tesla has done it already but are just waiting to release it.

Like seriously? Dont yall get tired of these talking point and constant excuses?

Heres what elon is gonna do. Hes gonna hype up fsd some more as though they are on the verge and ready to release. Infact as thiugh its already released and comes with your model 3 if you add fsd options.

He will bring out model 3 cars running on demo fsd software with tesla engineers in the driver seat and they will turn on autopilot in a restricted closed street course and then claim...

voila there there model 3 is a fsd car.
Configurations are now available online.

The media will carry it like gospel and poor working class folks will be swindled out of $8,000 dollars in masses

Some people have no shame in saying "I'm getting screwed but I don't mind because its Elon's stick and it's cool"

*barf*

The emperor has no clothes and they love it!

Last edited:
... or you could be an Electrek reader.

The Drive. Or perhaps you're reading Techrepublic, Futurism.

Forbes, maybe?

@andrewket, Jan 24, 2017:

FSD Features to be Available in 3 to 6 months

Haha, apparently it was a little more well covered than I remembered. I do remember the Electrek article as they cover just about everything that comes across.

What I think is interesting is the tweet doesn't really tell us a whole lot, and yet at least in case of Forbes the writer assumes Elon was referring to FSD capabilities. Versus the idea that FSD owners would start receiving some additional capabilities from EAP owners. Like additional cameras being turned on or something like that.

What I personally find a bit baffling is why there still isn't any kind of 360 birdeyes view. Clearly the car has the capability of it, and I wouldn't think it would take much to implement. Why didn't they do that just to throw a bone to owners of EAP/FSD.

Reactions: lunitiks
What I personally find a bit baffling is why there still isn't any kind of 360 birdeyes view. Clearly the car has the capability of it, and I wouldn't think it would take much to implement. Why didn't they do that just to throw a bone to owners of EAP/FSD.

We know they have birdseye view in developer mode so technically the car is capable.

Reluctance might be related to it not being a very good one, though I would still welcome it and hope it gets released.

It being black and white plus red is not the biggest issue. The biggest are the large blindspots of the windshield and B pillar cameras. AP2 does not see 360 around the nose on ground level. Competing 360 systems nowadays do.

So, in summary, the reason behind the shade and vitriol against Tesla's FSD product is down to the premature marketing of bleeding-edge technology before it was ready, and the use of aspirational language (with a light dusting of legal wriggle-room) when doing so.

And the takeaway for Tesla is: next time, be specific about the current state of the technology when marketing it, because whilst some of us get it - buying into the aspiration, and enjoying being part of the journey while it comes together; others prefer to wait until it is fully baked.

Actually fraud, intent to deceive. You are being too kind.

Tesla did not promise me a time frame. I knew that when i paid my $3K. Look - I'm a tough bastard in the business side of my life but wrt my Tesla it was obvious what I'm buying for $3K and that there are no guarantees. It's just fun money. I'd be a fool if I thought otherwise.

I really thought this car was going to be driving me around very comfortably by Christmas 2016. That's the whole reason I bought the car. I had no reason to doubt those claims based on track record of AP1, highly increased sensor suite, full self driving video, etc.

I did not know much about Tesla before this. So yes, I got scammed, unlike those of you who realized Tesla lies a lot about its capabilities.

I really thought this car was going to be driving me around very comfortably by Christmas 2016. That's the whole reason I bought the car. I had no reason to doubt those claims based on track record of AP1, highly increased sensor suite, full self driving video, etc.

I did not know much about Tesla before this. So yes, I got scammed, unlike those of you who realized Tesla lies a lot about its capabilities.

I guess that's fair. I tend to think everyone here is a "hobbyist" level follower of AI developments and also steals when that is not the case. I also have so much personal history with expensive cars that I guess I have internalized that heartache breakdowns disappointment are par for the course. My Teslas are so low maintenance and so close to delivering what they promise compared to the things I've owned prior that Im just delighted with them and don't car much aboutbElons promises. But if one is coming from the likes of Lexus then expectations would be different.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and oktane
Status
Not open for further replies.