Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Wi-Fi-based garbage-door opening coming soon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually WiFi connects too slow to make this work. So when you pull up your driveway it can take ~20s before WiFi detected your network and you can connect.

I really wonder how this will work.

I'm hoping it would work with cloud based services like MyQ. My Tesla garage bay door is connected to MyQ so I would love to be able to add that to the car (even though the MyQ API's are marginal at best)

We have the MyQ door opener and the app on the phone; since my car has homelink I only use the app when coming back from walking dogs or something similar. It's true there is connect time when the app launches but it might be a good way to save $300 for those w/o the homelink transmitter in their car. Since the car knows where it is, it could connect before you get there and be ready.

The delay is minimal, usually less than 3 seconds. Most smart garage door openers are continuously connected to the home WiFi network.
Generally your phone and probably the Tesla will not be connected to WiFi, instead it is using the mobile network (LTE) to connect to the smart garage opener.
I have a Chamberlain smart opener, it uses the myQ app and network. It allows for 3rd part connections such as Alexa, Google Assistant, Smartthings etc. When I make a request to open or close, it usually happens within a second. Very rarely up to 3 seconds, I have not experienced longer delays but others have reported as such.
I think this will be a nice added feature that will be well received by those with smart garage openers.

Reactions: tren01t and M3noob
not sure I can see how this feature would be an improvement over most of the solutions we've already come up with (e.g. Homelink, MyQ, Alexa, etc). Wifi signals die out at distances too close to the garage which means you'll be waiting for the door to open at least for a few seconds. That's fine and better than nothing, but is worse than most of our existing solutions -- no waiting at all.

However if the feature means being able to use the car's LTE data service to trigger the garage door opener, that's better. Overall I would love to be able to make better use of the LTE service (like hotspot, other apps, etc -- would make the $10/mo actually worth it).

not sure I can see how this feature would be an improvement over most of the solutions we've already come up with (e.g. Homelink, MyQ, Alexa, etc). Wifi signals die out at distances too close to the garage which means you'll be waiting for the door to open at least for a few seconds. That's fine and better than nothing, but is worse than most of our existing solutions -- no waiting at all.

However if the feature means being able to use the car's LTE data service to trigger the garage door opener, that's better. Overall I would love to be able to make better use of the LTE service (like hotspot, other apps, etc -- would make the $10/mo actually worth it).

There wouldn't be a point to requiring a WiFi signal when most of these services already have cloud based API's, In fact I don't think there's local control of MyQ.

It's better because I'm not pulling out my phone to open my MyQ garage door.

Reactions: h2oAok
ok... neither Homelink nor Alexa requires pulling out a phone or doing anything manually.

Homelink is a $300 addon for a lot of us. Sure I would use it if I had it but I’m not paying $300 if my car can trigger a cloud based API for free. Plus it would be more reliable for those of us that back in to our garages since homelink in the Tesla seems to fail at that.

Alexa isn’t a garage door opener so it’s still MyQ or some other companies cloud service it’s interacting with. I also don’t have Alexa built into my car.

I could also bring up my HomeAssistant control panel on the web browser and open it that way but why if the car can trigger my door to open.

Last edited:
Homelink is a $300 addon for a lot of us. Sure I would use it if I had it but I’m not paying $300 if my car can trigger a cloud based API for free. Plus it would be more reliable for those of us that back in to our garages since homelink in the Tesla seems to fail at that.

Alexa isn’t a garage door opener so it’s still MyQ or some other companies cloud service it’s interacting with. I also don’t have Alexa built into my car.
It is my understanding that Alexa works fine with MyQ (and other cheap garage door opener solutions). It costs $25 to get an Echo Auto for your car to give your car Alexa. Then you don't have to fish around for your phone, just tell Alexa to open the garage from where ever you wish. (of course Alexa gives other benefits as well).

"Alexa, ask MyQ to open my [door name] with pin [pin number]"

The original point is a question: How would this WiFi-based opener solution be better than the other solutions many of us already have? (again of course it is better than nothing).

Last edited:
Reactions: M3noob and MXLRplus
Here are my WiFi garage door openers (MyQ), being controlled via a 3rd party app (HomeAssistant) over LTE from my Tesla browser. I could do this from China with the same response and result.

I’m failing to understand how if the car can natively call the doors to open automatically when you arrive/leave just like the homelink integration (And put the icon in the upper right like homelink) that is not far superior to using an echo auto.