Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Working on Tesla NA Service. Goal of having 2/3 of cars have same day service w/ no wait.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1654376473301.png

Tesla has grown so fast that deliveries are going to overwhelm the existing Service Centers and Super Chargers. I hope they don’t keep making them without those other two legs of the Tesla business model being updated to meet demand. Poor service and Super Charging will kill all the goodwill and accolades Tesla has earned in a NY minute.

Last edited:
It would be interesting the actual current number of the cars serviced the same days.

If it is 1/3 of the cars serviced the same days, then going to 2/3 would be about twice as much work done.
If currently only 1/10 of the cars are serviced the same day, going then to 2/3 would about six to seven more work done.
With a 10% head count reduction, this would be even more challenging.

It would be interesting the actual current number of the cars serviced the same days.

If it is 1/3 of the cars serviced the same days, then going to 2/3 would be about twice as much work done.
If currently only 1/10 of the cars are serviced the same day, going then to 2/3 would about six to seven more work done.
With a 10% head count reduction, this would be even more challenging.
10% isn't for any of these guys. He looks at service, factory, and store workers as being in short supply still. Those guys keep the machine physically moving. The keep pumping out the cars, keep them on the road, and get them handed over to customers, I don't think he'll ever turn away those people (as long as one section isn't wildly over hired compared to the others).

The 10% were salaried workers that are likely mostly engineers. I would be curious if a lot of them are software engineers for autopilot. It could be that they've refined tools a lot to make less manual work and training of the neural net and thus can shave a bit of the department down.

Reactions: msee67 and house9
That may need a quick parts distribution system so Service Centers don't need to waste time waiting for parts.

That may also mean the parts shortage is over.
They leased a building to house a large part distribution site here in the Chicago area (Lockport, IL) just for that reason. From job postings it looks like they've started hiring people in the last month or so too.

Here is the address if people want to look it up. 308,000 square feet.

16342 W 163rd St
Lockport, IL 60441

Hasn’t Elon made statements about improving service in the past? At this point he should stop tweeting crap and actually deliver on his statements.
Agreed. I'll believe it when I see it. He literally just posted on Friday that he was slashing Tesla's workforce by 10%.. or about 10,000 employees. This dude changes his stance more than the weather forecast.. and I have no doubt this latest post is because the stock price dropped by 10% on Friday after he posted the grim news.

Granted I must say all of my actual interactions with Tesla customer service have been EXCELLENT and must give a positive shout out to these people for really taking care of me. I want to specifically name each individual, as they deserve the personal credit for going up & above what I expected to be done:
  • When I took "touchless" delivery of my car in Chicago last year.. an employee by the name of Alvin walked out of the center at 9:30am to personally start a conversation with me and ask if I had any questions. Im pointing out the time, because they didn't even open until 10am. I'm standing beside my car with luggage, a bit confused and he came to my rescue. He showed me a couple of things about the vehicle and issued me temporary plates & registration.. something I completely forgot about as I was 100% ready to jump in the car and immediately drive it 850 miles back home to DC with no plates lol.
  • Speaking of plates.. when I scheduled an appt 6 weeks later to install the garage door opener.. the service manager Graeme at the Rockville Service Center not only had technicians complete the work in just 1 hour. But also made sure my car stayed looking absolutely perfect. More importantly he noticed my 30day temp plates expired, immediately issued me a new set of 30day plates.. and kept his promise to get my permanent plates mailed out. They showed up at my house about 2 weeks later.
  • Finally as many of you already know, you need to be very careful changing the puddle lights underneath the doors on the vehicle. The auto-index feature of window is tied to this circuit and if that light becomes loose then the when will stop indexing on its own. Which means you will shatter the window sooner than later. Happened to me. I scheduled mobile service and was totally prepared to pay upwards of $1000 to replace the window and damaged door trim. Victor the mobile tech from Rockville.. did first check my puddle lights to see if they had been changed out, of course the factory lights were still there :) . So then proceeded to replace both the shattered window & damaged black door trim at NO charge whatsoever ever. $0.00 invoice and my car looked brand new again. Also advised me he checked my tires.. and I could wait till 10K miles to do my first rotation.
All 3 interactions were above average, incredibly satisfying and made me a bigger fan of the car. If you had have asked what were primary reasons for waiting so long to buy a Tesla.. my top 3 would have been: 1) too expensive, 2) Elon is an azzhole and 3) terrible customer service. I make sure to share my stories of AWESOME customer service whenever the last topic comes up.. as I've had such great service.

Last edited:
Supply chain issues will bust Tesla's efforts. They need to improve parts inventory quantities, which is nearly impossible with a young, "new" design/concept, because there's no track record of WHICH parts will fail early. It's a crap shoot.

They SHOULD be increasing inventory of obvious consumable items like windshields, glass roofs, "specialty" (odd size) tires.

Owners should avoid leaving their cars at the Service Centers until the parts are available. I think too many folk just drop the car off, hope for the best, and leave it with the SC until the part is available. If the car is drivable, they should wait until the part is IN.

This needs to happen but you will notice his “goal” has no timeframe, and as we know, Elon is famous for missing even stated deadlines. Maybe all the other EVs coming to market is forcing him to revisit the concept of supporting his customers? Looking forward to Tesla maturing in customer service / support.

I just got an update on my appointment. The reschedule was due to a part not on hand. They said when they got the part they would try and make my appointment earlier.
Be thankful they rescheduled you. I’ve taken off work, shown up and they‘ve said oh we haven‘t got the part yet, we’ll cancel this for you and you can just open a new ticket and reschedule. That way they get credit for a complete job and I have to start over. I’ve found I always have to follow up over and over again with them. They say something is fixed, I have to verify it’s actually fixed because they won‘t actually read the notes or test something. The mobile guy says I need this in the shop to fix it because I can’t get to this bolt, I’ll create an appointment for you it will show up tomorrow, 3 days later apps says job completed successfully seatbelt replaced. Open new ticket this part was already replaced… I spent months without a working seatbelt, but it was only for a 6 year old so they‘re pretty flexible and absorbent.

That way they get credit for a complete job and I have to start over. I’ve found I always have to follow up over and over again with them. They say something is fixed, I have to verify it’s actually fixed because they won‘t actually read the notes or test something. The mobile guy says I need this in the shop to fix it because I can’t get to this bolt, I’ll create an appointment for you it will show up tomorrow, 3 days later apps says job completed successfully seatbelt replaced. Open new ticket this part was already replaced… I spent months without a working seatbelt, but it was only for a 6 year old so they‘re pretty flexible and absorbent.
I'm glad I don't
Getting something like a windshield might take a day or two to get the windshield to the SC, but there's no reason service should take more than a few minutes. I've owned four Teslas and hardly had "service" on any of them, for a total of 250,000 miles, simply because there's nothing to service. I mean, this is not a gas car. What are you servicing, anyway? Replacing a windshield might take a week, but only because they don't stock every Tesla windshield at every Service Center. My experience, after a truck dropped an inch wide, four-inch-long bolt into the road which bounced up and punched a hole in front of my wifey's face, was to take it to the SC, who had it replaced in a half an hour. At least the SC was large enough to stock several windshields.

I feel for some of these people who have had a bad service experience, but, having owned four Teslas over ten years plus, I have to say that, in my experience, this is not normal. I've always been taken care of quickly, or at least in a reasonable amount of time, and the work was well done. Parts took a week when a pickup caught my front wheel well and ripped it clear off my car, but that's improving. What I see, is that some folk just like to complain, while I am quite sure that they could do no better under the same circumstances. Tesla tries hard to give good service, and in most instances, they do.

I feel for some of these people who have had a bad service experience, but, having owned four Teslas over ten years plus, I have to say that, in my experience, this is not normal. I've always been taken care of quickly, or at least in a reasonable amount of time, and the work was well done. Parts took a week when a pickup caught my front wheel well and ripped it clear off my car, but that's improving. What I see, is that some folk just like to complain, while I am quite sure that they could do no better under the same circumstances. Tesla tries hard to give good service, and in most instances, they do.
“Tesla tries hard to give good service”; really??
They are the least service/customer service oriented car manufacturer. They just care about pushing as many cars out as possible so the quarterly figures look good. Their service and customer service departments have not grown equal to their products.
Back in the day Tesla service and customer service was great. That all changed when the M3 was released.
You can’t expect great service when your boss is slashing the workforce by 10% and telling you either come back to the office or at least work 40 hours in the office to work from home. The way employees treat their customers is a reflection on the way their employer treats them.