Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Working on Tesla NA Service. Goal of having 2/3 of cars have same day service w/ no wait.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Tesla tries hard to give good service”; really??
They are the least service/customer service oriented car manufacturer. They just care about pushing as many cars out as possible so the quarterly figures look good. Their service and customer service departments have not grown equal to their products.
Back in the day Tesla service and customer service was great. That all changed when the M3 was released.
You can’t expect great service when your boss is slashing the workforce by 10% and telling you either come back to the office or at least work 40 hours in the office to work from home. The way employees treat their customers is a reflection on the way their employer treats them.
Service has nothing to do with 10% workforce reduction which will be high paying positions anyway, not the techs at the service centers. If you don't show up at work physically, you should get another job that doesn't require you to be at work. Some business can sustain with 100% telework, but most require physical human to human interaction and training, especially junior level or new hires.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
  • Finally as many of you already know, you need to be very careful changing the puddle lights underneath the doors on the vehicle. The auto-index feature of window is tied to this circuit and if that light becomes loose then the when will stop indexing on its own. Which means you will shatter the window sooner than later. Happened to me. I scheduled mobile service and was totally prepared to pay upwards of $1000 to replace the window and damaged door trim. Victor the mobile tech from Rockville.. did first check my puddle lights to see if they had been changed out, of course the factory lights were still there :) . So then proceeded to replace both the shattered window & damaged black door trim at NO charge whatsoever ever. $0.00 invoice and my car looked brand new again. Also advised me he checked my tires.. and I could wait till 10K miles to do my first rotation.
I'm curious if you had aftermarket puddle lights installed when your window issue happened? I have aftermarket logo puddle lights installed and am prepared to pay up for repairs if they fail and caused damage. If you had aftermarket puddle lights, did you swap back the OEM lights before going to SC?

I feel for some of these people who have had a bad service experience, but, having owned four Teslas over ten years plus, I have to say that, in my experience, this is not normal. I've always been taken care of quickly, or at least in a reasonable amount of time, and the work was well done. Parts took a week when a pickup caught my front wheel well and ripped it clear off my car, but that's improving. What I see, is that some folk just like to complain, while I am quite sure that they could do no better under the same circumstances. Tesla tries hard to give good service, and in most instances, they do.
Well glad you’ve had great service and haven’t had an issue. Because of that you believe anyone saying they’ve had a different experience just likes to complain, let me guess maybe I’m lying and secretly a plant by the evil shorters? Would you be annoyed if you waited 3-4 weeks for an appointment, took time off work, drove 40 minutes to the service center, then was told yeah your part is not here so we’re going to cancel your appointment. You can just open a new ticket, no apology, just basic indifference. When asked couldn’t someone have called, well yeah I guess but I think the person who would do that is in training this week, so anyways just open a new ticket.

The last time I was there was my 3rd time trying to get a working seatbelt. That was really scary because it clicks in but doesn’t lock everytime, so my 6 year old would think it’s fine but a quick pull would pop the buckle out. Hesitate to think how many times we drove and she really wasn’t belted in properly. Anyways last time I was there a guy was on his 3rd/4th visit with his less then a month old plaid S between 2 different SC’s because he refuses to go back to the other one due to incompetence. He had a list of 20 items still wrong. Just another complainer probably.

Edit: I should also say I’ve barely had any issues with my car. 1 within the first month and then 2 more around 1 year of ownership. I ignored and didn’t open tickets for all of my panel gap issues, all of my door handles are mounted and different depths, etc. I could have opened a bunch of crap but honestly don’t really care as it’s just a commuter car. But my limited experience with support is they suck in the Midwest, bet CA is way better.

Last edited:
Currently I need to drive 1 1/2 hours to my nearest service center and I live in Massachusetts, not a big State. So, first Tesla better open far more service centers. Recently needed a windshield replaced, took more than two weeks just to get the piece. Friend needed work when heat went out. Took 3 weeks and had to drive the RI for first appointment.

So many new cars on the road, just wait till they have more ware and tear on them. Unless Tesla grows significantly for service, it will be a nightmare.

Service has nothing to do with 10% workforce reduction which will be high paying positions anyway, not the techs at the service centers. If you don't show up at work physically, you should get another job that doesn't require you to be at work. Some business can sustain with 100% telework, but most require physical human to human interaction and training, especially junior level or new hires.
The majority of work, other than physically putting the cars together or fixing them can be done remotely. Is there a reason the couple of customer service reps or the 1 finance person working at Tesla can’t work from home?
All of the big tech firms are competing against each other for talent. One of the perks of big tech is working from home now. That’s why Apple had to reverse its return to work policy. Sure you can tell your staff to come in to the office or go pound sand. Guess what will happen, the best minds will be saying bye to Tesla and going to Apple, Google, GM, or any of the other big tech companies/car companies looking for talent.
You can flex your muscles all you want as the boss, but your employees now have options.

Agreed. I'll believe it when I see it. He literally just posted on Friday that he was slashing Tesla's workforce by 10%.. or about 10,000 employees. This dude changes his stance more than the weather forecast.. and I have no doubt this latest post is because the stock price dropped by 10% on Friday after he posted the grim news.

Granted I must say all of my actual interactions with Tesla customer service have been EXCELLENT and must give a positive shout out to these people for really taking care of me. I want to specifically name each individual, as they deserve the personal credit for going up & above what I expected to be done:
  • When I took "touchless" delivery of my car in Chicago last year.. an employee by the name of Alvin walked out of the center at 9:30am to personally start a conversation with me and ask if I had any questions. Im pointing out the time, because they didn't even open until 10am. I'm standing beside my car with luggage, a bit confused and he came to my rescue. He showed me a couple of things about the vehicle and issued me temporary plates & registration.. something I completely forgot about as I was 100% ready to jump in the car and immediately drive it 850 miles back home to DC with no plates lol.
  • Speaking of plates.. when I scheduled an appt 6 weeks later to install the garage door opener.. the service manager Graeme at the Rockville Service Center not only had technicians complete the work in just 1 hour. But also made sure my car stayed looking absolutely perfect. More importantly he noticed my 30day temp plates expired, immediately issued me a new set of 30day plates.. and kept his promise to get my permanent plates mailed out. They showed up at my house about 2 weeks later.
  • Finally as many of you already know, you need to be very careful changing the puddle lights underneath the doors on the vehicle. The auto-index feature of window is tied to this circuit and if that light becomes loose then the when will stop indexing on its own. Which means you will shatter the window sooner than later. Happened to me. I scheduled mobile service and was totally prepared to pay upwards of $1000 to replace the window and damaged door trim. Victor the mobile tech from Rockville.. did first check my puddle lights to see if they had been changed out, of course the factory lights were still there :) . So then proceeded to replace both the shattered window & damaged black door trim at NO charge whatsoever ever. $0.00 invoice and my car looked brand new again. Also advised me he checked my tires.. and I could wait till 10K miles to do my first rotation.
All 3 interactions were above average, incredibly satisfying and made me a bigger fan of the car. If you had have asked what were primary reasons for waiting so long to buy a Tesla.. my top 3 would have been: 1) too expensive, 2) Elon is an azzhole and 3) terrible customer service. I make sure to share my stories of AWESOME customer service whenever the last topic comes up.. as I've had such great service.

I LOVE the Rockville service center. They're all rockstars.

Reactions: Daekwan
The majority of work, other than physically putting the cars together or fixing them can be done remotely. Is there a reason the couple of customer service reps or the 1 finance person working at Tesla can’t work from home?
All of the big tech firms are competing against each other for talent. One of the perks of big tech is working from home now. That’s why Apple had to reverse its return to work policy. Sure you can tell your staff to come in to the office or go pound sand. Guess what will happen, the best minds will be saying bye to Tesla and going to Apple, Google, GM, or any of the other big tech companies/car companies looking for talent.
You can flex your muscles all you want as the boss, but your employees now have options.
I don't see that will happen at all. I guess we will see what happens, but this pandemic born teleworking thing is not normal and will slowly end as we go into the recession, and the job market will be employers market soon. The best minds know Tesla is way more innovative and good with its employees in terms of benefit and such. Only whiners and SJW types will quit and move onto something worse for teleworking.

We'll see.
As long as Tesla can sell every car they can make it would be very poor management practice to spend money on something to improve customer satisfaction.

What? As Tesla scales, they need to invest more into customer satisfaction so customers come back. You don't want to have to invest in trying to bring customers you've already had. That's going to be REALLY costly.

What? As Tesla scales, they need to invest more into customer satisfaction so customers come back. You don't want to have to invest in trying to bring customers you've already had. That's going to be REALLY costly.

Well, Tesla's been shifting its "Elon Musk" advertising campaign to focus more on the untapped right-wing demographic, but it appears that isn't doing well enough, so they're beginning a new campaign focused on broadening their appeal to the group of people who find it important that their car works.

Currently I need to drive 1 1/2 hours to my nearest service center and I live in Massachusetts, not a big State. So, first Tesla better open far more service centers. Recently needed a windshield replaced, took more than two weeks just to get the piece. Friend needed work when heat went out. Took 3 weeks and had to drive the RI for first appointment.

So many new cars on the road, just wait till they have more ware and tear on them. Unless Tesla grows significantly for service, it will be a nightmare.
A year ago (?) Elon noted that New England really needed more service centers. Unfortunately, my Son lives in Western MA and is still roughly 100 miles from a service center so ended up with a Toyota RAV4 Prime which was more affordable (and got fed credit). He can get to work and back on battery only and recharge from his Solar and power wall. On the other hand, Tesla is opening a new service center 8 miles from my house north of Tacoma WA.

I've had four visits by maintenance in almost four years--one tow and three mobile visits. All have been excellent. (The mobile tech for our area is exceptional). However, my car was unavailable for around three weeks in each case, either waiting for an appointment or for parts. Now I have an appointment at a service center three weeks from now for work that needs to be done before the warranty expires. That means another long wait, this time to make a 400 mile plus round trip that will turn into a very long day plus some Uber credits if the work can't be done that day. An inconvenience? Yes. But for me, nothing more. I'm retired, I have a second vehicle that is reliable and can be repaired by my local dealer, plus I have family residing near the SC with whom I can stay if needed.

If I were still working, a three week wait for an appointment and some Uber credits simply wouldn't cut it. In my case, Elon has had almost four years to fix this problem. He has not. If he doesn't come through with this promise, a few years from now his only customers will be people like me who are in a position to deal with the inconvenience without having it disrupt their lives. And that would be a tragedy.

I feel for some of these people who have had a bad service experience, but, having owned four Teslas over ten years plus, I have to say that, in my experience, this is not normal. I've always been taken care of quickly, or at least in a reasonable amount of time, and the work was well done. Parts took a week when a pickup caught my front wheel well and ripped it clear off my car, but that's improving. What I see, is that some folk just like to complain, while I am quite sure that they could do no better under the same circumstances. Tesla tries hard to give good service, and in most instances, they do.
I’m sorry, but your experience is very rare. I have owned my two Teslas since 2013, and up until 2018 the service was excellent. Then it took a nose dive and has been horrible to so-so ever since.

If there was a rating for Tesla’s service, it would probably be at the bottom of a long list of automakers, I am sure.

I waited two days for a hood alignment. I brought my car in when the SA opened and the guy told me they were already backed up and it would probably be the next day. That turned into two days.

I imagine that’s what he’s talking about. The reservation system is obviously overloading thr SA’s.

“Tesla tries hard to give good service”; really??
They are the least service/customer service oriented car manufacturer. They just care about pushing as many cars out as possible so the quarterly figures look good. Their service and customer service departments have not grown equal to their products.
Back in the day Tesla service and customer service was great. That all changed when the M3 was released.
You can’t expect great service when your boss is slashing the workforce by 10% and telling you either come back to the office or at least work 40 hours in the office to work from home. The way employees treat their customers is a reflection on the way their employer treats them.
I think we are comparing apples to oranges. Tesla is providing service directly. All other OEMs in US provide their cars to dealers and then dealers do the service. Each of these are independently owned. So each of those dealers are more incentivized to provide great service because that is their major revenue.

A year ago (?) Elon noted that New England really needed more service centers. Unfortunately, my Son lives in Western MA and is still roughly 100 miles from a service center so ended up with a Toyota RAV4 Prime which was more affordable (and got fed credit). He can get to work and back on battery only and recharge from his Solar and power wall. On the other hand, Tesla is opening a new service center 8 miles from my house north of Tacoma WA.

1 year, 9 months and 16 days ago. 06/06/2022 - 08/21/2020 ="09/16/0001"

Well, there's one in New Hampshire coming, apparently, although you could call it Mass Hampshire.

Of course, on this and pretty much everything he says, anyone who's followed Elon Musk for a while, pretty much everyone is in Missouri.

1 year, 9 months and 16 days ago. 06/06/2022 - 08/21/2020 ="09/16/0001"

Well, there's one in New Hampshire coming, apparently, although you could call it Mass Hampshire.

Of course, on this and pretty much everything he says, anyone who's followed Elon Musk for a while, pretty much everyone is in Missouri.
Where in Mass Hampshire? I wish it were Mass Vermont though 😀.

I think we are comparing apples to oranges. Tesla is providing service directly. All other OEMs in US provide their cars to dealers and then dealers do the service. Each of these are independently owned. So each of those dealers are more incentivized to provide great service because that is their major revenue.
So what you’re saying is the direct to consumer sales approach may not be all rainbows and unicorns?

...not normal...
Talk big like "Fully Self Driving" is Tesla's boast but the result varies:

Another "not normal wait" for Suspension Compressor and Fuse: From the "Received date" of 5/31/2022 to the "Ready Date" of 6/16/2022 or 17 days:

1655499922424.png