Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, your programmers have wrecked AP1. !

bluestreak

Nov 12, 2017
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi, I have a Sept 2015 P85D with AP1 and until 2 upgrades ago it was as perfect as that technology was going to get (or nearly anyway), it was amazing. Camera recognised road sign speed limits accurately, a paused upward lift of the CC stalk set that recognised speed limit for cruise control, and on auto steer the speed automatically adjusted up and down as signs were passed (most of the time!).

Then came latest upgrades and the lifted stalk set only works some of the time, and it is now dangerous.

The problem appears to be geo-location based, a lot of the time the system works as before, BUT in some locations in Victoria, Australia, the car is taking its input from elsewhere and can’t be over-ridden. I.e. driving in a 110 zone then pass an 80 sign. Car recognises the 80 sign and shows on dash, but hold up stalk will not set 80, stays at 110.

Elsewhere not using cruise control, pass an 80 kph sign, cameras recognise it, lift stalk to set 80 into cruise, car accelerates to 110 and I get booked! A wonderful system totally buggered by an update artifact/collateral damage.

EVCarGUy

Sep 28, 2016
California
The issues you mentioned were never features on my AP1. . It does read the speed limit signs, but has never change speeds based on a speed limit change. I've always had to manually adjust it.

For my 2015 S85D AP1, the autopilot speed varies if I'm on a non highway where Tesla limits AP usage to 5 mph over the speed limit.

Plus, a couple of years ago, when Tesla changed map providers, when I was driving on AP along on a highway, the nav would suddenly think I'm on an adjacent side road, and drop my speed to the side road's speed limit plus 5 mph. Then raise it back up once it figured out I was on the highway, still.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Here is what the owner's manual says, as of the latest one I have downloaded (so, not the latest in the car, which possibly could have been changed by updates later than August 2018 when this was published) -- I added the underscores for emphasis. [Text in brackets is mine.]

Cruising at the Speed Limit
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control makes it easy to cruise at the speed limit. You can cruise at the speed limit that is currently being determined
by Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 97). To do so, pull the cruise control lever toward you [i.e., not up or down]. When you release, your cruising speed is set to the speed that is determined by Speed Assist, taking into consideration any offset you have specified. If you are already driving faster than the speed limit when you pull the lever, the set speed does not adjust to the speed limit—it adjusts to your current driving speed.
Note: When you adjust the cruising speed based on the speed limit, the set speed does not change when the speed limit changes. You
must pull the cruise control lever again to cruise at the new speed limit. You can also manually adjust your cruising speed at any
time (see Changing the Set Speed on page 78).

[But also] --

If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited,
Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed. The maximum allowed cruising speed on such roads is calculated based on
the detected speed limit including a Speed Assist offset of up to +5 mph (10 km/h). Any Speed Assist offset above +5 mph (10 km/h) is
rounded down to +5 mph (10 km/h).

So far as I can tell, this is how my AP1 car has worked and continues to work. I am on 2019.32.12.3

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Here is what the owner's manual says, as of the latest one I have downloaded (so, not the latest in the car, which possibly could have been changed by updates later than August 2018 when this was published) -- I added the underscores for emphasis. [Text in brackets is mine.]

Cruising at the Speed Limit
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control makes it easy to cruise at the speed limit. You can cruise at the speed limit that is currently being determined
by Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 97). To do so, pull the cruise control lever toward you [i.e., not up or down]. When you release, your cruising speed is set to the speed that is determined by Speed Assist, taking into consideration any offset you have specified. If you are already driving faster than the speed limit when you pull the lever, the set speed does not adjust to the speed limit—it adjusts to your current driving speed.
Note: When you adjust the cruising speed based on the speed limit, the set speed does not change when the speed limit changes. You
must pull the cruise control lever again to cruise at the new speed limit. You can also manually adjust your cruising speed at any
time (see Changing the Set Speed on page 78).

[But also] --

If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited,
Autosteer may limit the maximum allowed cruising speed. The maximum allowed cruising speed on such roads is calculated based on
the detected speed limit including a Speed Assist offset of up to +5 mph (10 km/h). Any Speed Assist offset above +5 mph (10 km/h) is
rounded down to +5 mph (10 km/h).

So far as I can tell, this is how my AP1 car has worked and continues to work. I am on 2019.32.12.3

Sorry, I should have looked before I leaped. The text I quoted is NOT the latest information. There is a newer version of the manual on the MyTesla account page. So please ignore this post. Refer to your own manual. Some of what I pasted above is still valid, but some is not, and I have not yet digested all the differences. Again, my apologies.... (I would have deleted it if I could have.)

dannycamps

Apr 8, 2019
Northeast USA
The issues you mentioned were never features on my AP1. It does read the speed limit signs, but has never change speeds based on a speed limit change. I've always had to manually adjust it.

It will change speed on non-highway roads (e.g. residential streets) but in my experience, it will only drop speed. For example, if you are driving in a 50mph zone and the speed limit changes to 35, the car will drop to 35. It will however not increase speed (e.g. go the opposite way).

• Informative
Reactions: David29

bluestreak

Nov 12, 2017
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks to all the responses above. You sort of assume that all Tesla's behave the same, but maybe they don't. I am on the latest Australian update v10.0 (2019.32.12.7 b728e1d) and ...
  • for the past 2 years, on auto steer, the car automatically slows down AND speeds up, when it passes speed signs, and it is still doing that today
  • it only does this at certain, and repeatable, locations, no idea how car choses where to change automatically and where not to - one of those reasons you love a Tesla!
  • there is no mechanical fault, this is a software decision
  • until 2 updates ago the sensed speed limit showing on screen was passed to TACC and auto steer by pulling the stalk back towards the driver for one or two seconds, this was absolute and whatever other information the car was receiving from wherever was overridden by this action
  • since a couple of updates ago this override no longer works at some geo-locations (I drove through them a second time today and issue occurs at same places, and car is perfectly "as before" at others)
  • when it does happen, as described above, "Speed Assist" has detected the (correct) speed limit and it shows on the screen but regardless of whether I disconnect, reconnect, lift, drop, raise, lower, hold for extended period, this sensed speed will not pass to TACC, it is getting its set point from somewhere else!
  • of course I can lift the stalk and set the speed I want, just like any ordinary car, but this is a Tesla, it isn't (or wasn't) ordinary!
  • can't believe my car is the only one in the world to begin acting like this after recent updates.
Regards

• Informative
Reactions: David29

Thesla

Sep 6, 2018
Finland
Exactly the same behavior on my AP1 Model X. Very annoying and even dangerous!

It used to work so that AP1 recognized the speed limit and displayed it on the screen - and pulling the stalk gave me that speed (+offset). What you see is what you get. Nice and easy! Exactly how someone would expect it to work.

Now, with the latest version(s), pulling the stalk seems to ignore the traffic sign information and set the speed to a value from the map data(?), which may be *very* surprising: Consider a situation when the speed limit is reduced because of road work. The screen says 50km/h and pulling the stalk will result in the car quickly accelerating to 120km/h.. Not nice Elon, not nice!

Here's an example of a surprise. Speed set at 65, speed limit changed to 80, but pulling the stalk gave me 105(!!) WYSIWYG, not!
AP1_bug.jpg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC