Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ElonM's own Model S: burgundy or maroon / Plaid?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, an alleged image of ElonM own Model S with
"new" factory color was posted on Electrek but it was
off-color due to being in shade. Under "fair use"
protection I am re-posting a Photoshop-corrected
version of same image here for educational
purposes. It may still be a bit off-color but
the greenery looks proper:

Elon-Musk-Tesla-Model-S-corrected.jpg
(any evidence this could be S Plaid??)

Hmmmm... The stance does look a little bit wider in the back but if somebody was photoshopping to correct the color they could also Photoshop to make it look like it's a little bit wider with a greater distortion angle on the rear fender & back door. Do you have the unphotoshopped image to see if those areas still look the same? I'm not as concerned about the color as I am about just seeing the original image to see if this is indeed a plaid Tesla Model S in the wild.

Looking at it on an actual computer monitor now and I rescind my previous statement about it looking like the rear wheel wells appeared slightly wider. I think it looks normal and I don't think this is a Plaid test mule. They had a larger rear spoiler on the one spotted on the Nürburgring and the wheel arches were flared quite a bit to fit the wider wheels/tires they were using. They also had larger vents behind the from brakes to assist with cooling and more aggressive front and rear lower air splitters. I assume some of if not all of these character traits will carry over to at least other test mules if not the final design itself.

It’s definitely ironic if he had a special paint job while the rest of factory paint sucks. Always loved the signature red color and this one as well. Even miss the green and brown.
The article that talked about this color stated that it was a color option that’ll be available on vehicles produced in Germany. Which means it’s definitely going to be better quality than the vehicles painted in California.

If CA has such strict paint restrictions then Elon needs to get out of CA. Why anyone would build a car their, that would place restrictions on things like that is beyond me. Get out Elon!
I don’t think it’s CA factory that’s the problem, same factory produces both Model S and Model Y, why then we see so many problems with build quality and paint in Y forums?

I don’t think it’s CA factory that’s the problem, same factory produces both Model S and Model Y, why then we see so many problems with build quality and paint in Y forums?
He's talking about long-term paint resilience versus other car manufacturers. The state of California outlaws a lot of chemicals used for paint hardening and even if your Tesla has a good paint job visually it's likely that it won't hold up as well long-term the way other car manufacturers would. We're not talking about quality control issues so it really doesn't have much to do with the factory is what he's saying. He's saying that if he moved to a state that doesn't have such restrictions they could likely use more tried and true methods of paint that would be more resilient and durable long-term.