Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's Bromance with Cheeto Jesus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: AndreN
No candidate in 2016 had the majority of voters, that is 1/2 the voters.
By voters, I mean the people that actually voted in the presidential election, not the ones that were eligible but didn't.

And for those, there is plenty of evidence people that would have voted for Hillary just didn't turn out for Hillary (this is something the Trump campaign even talked about), so in an approval rating poll her numbers would be higher than her final popular vote would indicate.

By voters, I mean the people that actually voted in the presidential election, not the ones that were eligible but didn't.

And for those, there is plenty of evidence people that would have voted for Hillary just didn't turn out for Hillary (this is something the Trump campaign even talked about), so in an approval rating poll her numbers would be higher than her final popular vote would indicate.

No candidate received 1/2 the ballots cast in 2016. Hillary did come closest.

Hillary was not electable. If there was only one person on the ballot, she would not have gotten 50%.

No candidate received 1/2 the ballots cast in 2016. Hillary did come closest.

Hillary was not electable.
That was my mistake, I forgot about the existence of the third party candidates. However, I don't see how getting over 50% is the requirement for an "electable" candidate and certainly it does not have a correlation with getting over 50% approval rating.

Some examples of winning candidates who did not get over 50%: Trump (2016), GW Bush (2000), Bill Clinton (1992,1996), Nixon (1968), Kennedy (1960)
List of United States presidential elections by popular vote margin - Wikipedia

Here's their incoming approval rating (Trump's the only one below 50% and there is a huge gap even among those below 50% popular vote, with Kennedy being the biggest example):
PresApproval_Graphic_640b.jpg

If there was only one person on the ballot, she would not have gotten 50%.
It seems we still have a difference on how we are counting things. I am not including people who did not vote for a candidate in the election. So if she was the only one on the ballot, she would have gotten 100% of the vote. Those people who did not choose a candidate essentially would be of unknown status in terms of approval rating (and actually in third party case it would be similar, with their approval of the winning candidate unknown). You seem to be counting those people as a negative rating by default.

Last edited: