Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's Bromance with Cheeto Jesus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Orange definitely is a term of ethnicity, more so than many other terms about. Under Australian law, 'Cheeto Jesus' would be considered racial discrimination, and possibly religious discrimination also. You could call a friend that, otherwise its offensive vilification under Australian 18C law.
I think you're assuming people are referring to his actual skin color. The 'orange' insults are because of his fake tan | tanning bed | makeup & the resulting effect of orange skin with white circles around his eyes. It's a poke at his narcissism. Nothing more.

And Africans aren't totally black, Asians are not yellow, etc. White people can appear red or orange (hence the term redneck).

Try and justify it how you want but it is what it is, you are criticising a person for the color of their skin.

No, I'm criticising him for having horrible fashion sense. Orange is a choice. A BAD choice. And somebody please snip about 4" off the end of his ties.

Reactions: MitchMitch
White people can appear red or orange (hence the term redneck).
No, 'redneck' isn't a racist term. It IS a derogatory term. It originated from the red sunburned necks of people working in the hot fields. When someone self-describes or is described as a 'redneck' it is usually referring to political views. Not their white skin. Otherwise any white person could be called a redneck, and that's just not the case.

Again, political term, not a racist term. Redneck - Wikipedia

If you're going to lecture people, you need to study up :).

No, 'redneck' isn't a racist term. It IS a derogatory term. It originated from the red sunburned necks of people working in the hot fields. When someone self-describes or is described as a 'redneck' it is usually referring to political views. Not their white skin. Otherwise any white person could be called a redneck, and that's just not the case.

Again, political term, not a racist term. Redneck - Wikipedia

If you're going to lecture people, you need to study up :).
OK I'll even use the same source to call out your ignorance and bigotry...Refer to page for lists of ethnic slurs:
List of ethnic slurs - Wikipedia
Why would it be listed there if it was not an ethnic slur.

And this page defines ethnic slur as "a term designed to insult others on the basis of race, ethnicity or nationality" sounds like racism to me.

OK I'll even use the same source to call out your ignorance and bigotry...Refer to page for lists of ethnic slurs:
List of ethnic slurs - Wikipedia
Why would it be listed there if it was not an ethnic slur.

And this page defines ethnic slur as "a term designed to insult others on the basis of race, ethnicity or nationality" sounds like racism to me.

I'm not going to stoop to calling you names. And since I know I'm not ignorant and I'm not bigoted, not going to react to that, either.

So as you state, an ethnic slur can be associated with race (which of course would be racism), ethinicity , or nationality. 'Nationality' is what would fit here, since those called 'rednecks' are typically in the south - a geographic location that predominantly votes a certain way. It's hard to understand when you don't live here - but I think you'd be hardpressed to find someone reacting to a 'redneck' label as if it were racist.

I don't remember anyone being outraged at Trump's goofy gestures when aimed at Ted Cruz or others. I'm sure you can cite numerous Trump character flaws. I'm only trying to understand or explain how it was mocking handicapped guy when he did with others. I guess no one can explain it.

Trump treats practically everyone who takes issue with him as if they are mentally incapacitated or inferior to him, mocking them with goofy gestures to try to make himself look superior. It backfired on him big time when he did it to a handicapped person. What you need to understand is that his actual motive, that is: "did it run through his head that he was doing it to a handicapped person?" is not relevant. I personally believe he knew exactly what he was doing, and he simply didn't care. He called John McCain: “not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.” It is abundantly clear that he has no sense of decency. But regardless of what went through his head at the time, you need to understand that true leaders, like Obama, understand that perception is reality. For that reason, you don't find Obama mocking anyone by twitching and flailing his arms around.

The criticism of Trump is for what he did, regardless of why he did it. It shows very low (or no) class.

Hopefully you understand now.

Eh, I haven't come close to crossing a line. Someone else has, but since I didn't escalate the situation (or report), it will probably be left in place. No harm.

You stated the facts and did so respectfully. I see no reason for snippiness to come calling. I had quoted the same incorrect "redneck" reference and was going to correct it but you beat me to it. It's unfortunate some people can't just admit when they are wrong and move on. None of us know everything and we look so much more mature and better when we just admit mistakes rather than fight them.

Last edited:
I'm not going to stoop to calling you names. And since I know I'm not ignorant and I'm not bigoted, not going to react to that, either.

So as you state, an ethnic slur can be associated with race (which of course would be racism), ethinicity , or nationality. 'Nationality' is what would fit here, since those called 'rednecks' are typically in the south - a geographic location that predominantly votes a certain way. It's hard to understand when you don't live here - but I think you'd be hardpressed to find someone reacting to a 'redneck' label as if it were racist.

You will find that the term redneck is used far more broadly than North America. So your statement about it being a national or geographical reference is false. The term redneck is used in Australia where I am from and as a previous poster has pointed out would fall afoul of our racial vilification laws.

That said I am a believer that offense is taken and not given. My point here is that if you want to call out people for racism the sword cuts both ways. President Trump does not deserve to be ridiculed for the colour of his skin any more than President Obama does but for some reason in the tangled mess of ill-logic that forms the the leftist collective intellect it is acceptable. Can someone please explain why...

You will find that the term redneck is used far more broadly than North America. So your statement about it being a national or geographical reference is false. The term redneck is used in Australia where I am from and as a previous poster has pointed out would fall afoul of our racial vilification laws.

That said I am a believer that offense is taken and not given. My point here is that if you want to call out people for racism the sword cuts both ways. President Trump does not deserve to be ridiculed for the colour of his skin any more than President Obama does but for some reason in the tangled mess of ill-logic that forms the the leftist collective intellect it is acceptable. Can someone please explain why...
Obviously used differently in Australia then - and not uncommon for disagreements to occur because two people assume the same definition, when in fact a single word can mean different things in different locations. I can accept that where you live, 'redneck' is a racist term. Please understand it is not racist here, just derogatory. (Though plenty of people wear it with pride.)

Obviously you want to believe that the 'orange' comments are zinging Trump for the color of his skin. I think you'd agree that when someone says that 'Paris Hilton looked orange today', they're commenting on a fake tan - yes? Not making a racist remark. Let go of your certainty that this is racist. It's a commentary on his vanity, his narcissism - not the color of the skin he was born with (because that color is definitely not orange-tinted).

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on ones politics we are stuck with the elected president for better or worse. I've had this conversation with many. Do non believers fight him tooth and nail to their last breath and ulcer or do they(we in my case) try to soothe the beast and do damage control for as long as it lasts by trying to find some common grounds? We have no choice and I think Elon has taken a good first step. Get in with the president and try to manipulate him from the inside as everyone close to him is doing. Do what they do as it's sadly but obviously been successful recently. This hopefully will only last 2 years and then the next election can shift the balance of power. I'm not saying let them get away with some of the outrageous ideas he has, we have to call him on all of his bs but we can also try to massage and cajol from within as EM is doing. Big challenges ahead that's for sure but it has to be a multi faceted plan to soothe then crush the beast and his minions. Think of the Trojan horse.

Reactions: rxlawdude
This is what you said:

And Africans aren't totally black, Asians are not yellow, etc. White people can appear red or orange (hence the term redneck).

This is so wrong and has nothing at all to do with the term "redneck". Bonnie told you from Wikipedia -- here it is from the dictionary:

red·neck
ˈredˌnek/
noun
  1. a working-class white person, especially a politically reactionary one from a rural area.
    "rednecks in the high, cheap seats stomped their feet and hooted"

Your continuous attempt at an explanation for your error makes no sense to me.

President Trump does not deserve to be ridiculed for the colour of his skin any more than President Obama does

These are two completely different things and conflating them is disrespectful to the struggle of African Americans.

Last edited:
...President Trump does not deserve to be ridiculed for the colour of his skin...

Cheeto is also mentioned in the poem at Women's March, on Saturday, 01/21/2017.

As @Bangor Bob said, Trump was not born with that look.

He had to spend time and money to achieve that kind of appearance.

It's a choice of fashion.

But the behind that appearance, there are serious issues as cited by Ashley Judd for 19 year old Nina Donovan of Nashville, Tennessee.

Note that some words came directly from Trump himself: Nasty, Blood, Pu
EZUXctomfk9loU2OFoNSKdsfrJkPT2V2zEy7850UOe8ihtStktoMOZfCAMm16OW4C5A96m0tXScpgIPNFSZ3WPh3SHHRW1mHt1kVK00wQKG7WJduHFe0o5L9NSneZutaZ-9rqLIM
x8hOQhLcMlpBopj6afXYCI_TTr11JtW_OqGwmrs9RaOBN3P-xQ_L3AhPChPYzTXrHRpP6pGh3hJGzMy21whnI12YTWErRlqYfjA9GSy6T5w1RmZ9o3KV2wZ9tIEHmwpJpC83asSR
y...

The other video "proof" is of him mocking people.

The scientist in you seems to have a problem divorcing yourself from your own confirmation biases. Clearly the evidence shows he uses unflattering body motions to mock people, thus the video evidence proves that he was in fact mocking that reporter.

That wasn't the issue. He was indeed mocking the reporter, just not his handicap. Is this so tough of a point to get across?

Simple question... How do you sleep at night? Seriously? You're here trying to defend the indefensible and for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than to say without saying "I support this ridiculous excuse for a human being". Then to make it worse, you simply won't let it go...

Jeff

Wow. You must not have read and understood a word I wrote. I am not defending Trump at all. Just pointing out some facts and hoping someone could explain why Trump used those same gestures before. I didn't start this Trump-bashing thread. Did anyone really think a Trump thread citing an Orange Jesus would not cause some comments?

Last edited:
Reactions: diesel
Obviously used differently in Australia then - and not uncommon for disagreements to occur because two people assume the same definition, when in fact a single word can mean different things in different locations. I can accept that where you live, 'redneck' is a racist term. Please understand it is not racist here, just derogatory. (Though plenty of people wear it with pride.)

Obviously you want to believe that the 'orange' comments are zinging Trump for the color of his skin. I think you'd agree that when someone says that 'Paris Hilton looked orange today', they're commenting on a fake tan - yes? Not making a racist remark. Let go of your certainty that this is racist. It's a commentary on his vanity, his narcissism - not the color of the skin he was born with (because that color is definitely not orange-tinted).

I accept that it could be seen as a comment on vanity.

This is the problem with this organised campaign of disrespect to the president. You have the intent of offending Trump but end up alienating the very people you need to swing back to you if you want to ever re-take the office.

I would have thought that the left would have learnt something from the "deplorable" comments made by HRC.

Reactions: James Anders
That wasn't the issue. He was indeed mocking the reporter, just not his handicap. Is this so tough of a point to get across?

It is when you claim he wasn't mocking him. The fact is you don't really know what aspect of the reporter Trump was actually mocking, but he clearly used those gestures previously to mock people. So the best you can say is Trump uses grade school behavior to strike back at people he doesn't like.