Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's FSD Vaporware vs. 60 Minutes Driverless Trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is unrealistic to have drivers to get in these trucks once they get off the highway The trucks may have to travel for miles to their destination You would need a lot of drivers just waiting to get in the trucks You would also need large areas for these trucks How many trucks get off and on I 95 everyday. Some of these trucks may never see an interstate for the rest of the trip.

It is unrealistic to have drivers to get in these trucks once they get off the highway The trucks may have to travel for miles to their destination You would need a lot of drivers just waiting to get in the trucks You would also need large areas for these trucks How many trucks get off and on I 95 everyday. Some of these trucks may never see an interstate for the rest of the trip.

The whole point of fully self-driving trucks is that you don't need any drivers at all. The self-driving trucks will do the entire route from start to finish with no driver.

The whole point of fully self-driving trucks is that you don't need any drivers at all. The self-driving trucks will do the entire route from start to finish with no driver.
It makes a difference whether the driver has to do something or can do something else. If driver can sleep, run a side business, or get a college degree, while traveling cross country, that means something.

What I was trying to say, is that it doesn't have to be from start to finish. If the driver can do something else during long boring stretches of freeway, then that is a win.

So, self-driving on the highway where the driver could do something else but then the driver takes over say in the city? Sure that works too. There are obviously different ways to do it. And that could be a good first step. But I think the ultimate goal for some of these companies is to remove the driver completely from the equation so that they don't have to pay a driver at all. The whole idea is to save a lot of money from not having to pay for any drivers at all. Obviously, that only works if the FSD can handle the entire trip.

... The whole idea is to save a lot of money from not having to pay for any drivers at all. Obviously, that only works if the FSD can handle the entire trip.
How much do you have to pay someone while they are sleeping? How much do you have to pay them while they are working a side job in a truck traveling cross country? It use to be you needed three drivers to drive cross country non stop. Not sure if that is true anymore. There are limits how long a driver can work. If the driver no longer has to drive all the time then I suppose those shift limits would be removed and would save a lot of money.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33