TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon's latest message confirms v5.8 "greater ground clearance at highway speeds"

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by killer_model_s, Nov 19, 2013.

1. killer_model_s

Regarding the inability to lower the air suspension, elon confirms this is an intentional feature

The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors

P.s. mods this is a double post as I did not know where exactly to post this

2. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Just spotted this too... I guess no more speculations...

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

But he also says user control will return in the January update.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The title of this thread is incorrect. Elon's blog post indicates that there was an intentional change in 5.8 regarding the suspension behavior. In no way does that blog post indicate that the implementation is bug free.

5. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

nicely worded Elon. I hope the official report comes out soon so we can quell the fears brought out by these fires.

6. deonb

deonb Active Member

Agreed.

Either:

a) Elon is referring to the intended 0.33" raise of the suspension. However, the fact that the car doesn't lower when it hits 60mph / 97kph is a bug.
    -OR-
    b) The fact that the car does not lower when it hits 60mph is NOT a bug, but then there is a bug because the car is still lowering at 97mph.

Either way there is a bug in the suspension software for 5.8.

I wish you can ask the SC for clarification, but because these are 2 subtly different issues, knowing what we know about Tesla's internal communication, the SC's won't know anything until January.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well, now that it's been confirmed, we can move on.

Excellent IMO.

8. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

That is a great quote from the blog but this one is my favorite!

"It is also why arsonists tend to favor gasoline. Trying to set the side of a building on fire with a battery pack is far less effective."

9. eepic

eepic Member

gas.gif

10. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

From the blog post: "Third, to reinforce how strongly we feel about the low risk of fire in our cars, we will be amending our warranty policy to cover damage due to a fire, even if due to driver error. Unless a Model S owner actively tries to destroy the car, they are covered."

Fire in a Model S is now a warranty item? Brilliant move, Elon!

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Mod Note: Title amended.

12. Hybris

Hybris Member

#12 Hybris, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Great blogentry! Lovely regarding the improved warranty for fires!!! Brilliant! Respect!

13. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

(head explosion) I'm sorry, what now?!?!?! I mean really, WTF?! He is crazy. Like a fox. (And we all know what the fox says....) Anyway, this is really nutty, but realistically, it's not going to happen freaking often. I love how people say "OMG 2 in a month" when it's really 2 in well over a year. Not that either representation is statistically valid, probably (I'm no statistician), but really, I do agree with what must be part of his underlying premise--"this won't happen often, so this will not make a dent in our finances."

But still my head's swimming from this twist. Someone predicted this, but I didn't buy it. Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Will this make insurance rates for the Model S go down? ;-) I mean for insurance companies, it's all about the payouts, right?

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Very good blog post. Smart move to make a temporary change, study it then hopefully give back that control to the user next year.

15. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

THIS THREAD TITLE IS STILL INCORRECT - MODS PLEASE FIX

The current thread title is "Elon's latest message confirms 5.8 suspends auto-low setting".

Can somebody PLEASE point out where this is stated? I do not see this written anywhere at all. And there is an easy reason why. BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOT SUSPENDED THE AUTO-LOW SETTING.

In fact, the exact wording is as follows:

If you have been following the air suspension thread and other threads on 5.8, you would have seen the multiple posts were people have measured the ground clearance in inches at each suspension setting. Tesla has raised the ground clearance level by 5/16" for each each level. THIS is what is officially described in the official blog post. That is the change that was made.

Tesla HAS NOT SUSPENDED THE AUTO-LOW SETTING. Nowhere is this stated, and this thread along with everybody that keeps posting this, is INCORRECT.

The fact that the car lowers at 96.5mph is a SOFTWARE BUG - a non-intentional change. AN ERROR MADE BY A SOFTWARE CODER that screwed up unit conversion. 60mph=96.5kph (which is in fact the trigger point for the low-height suspension, VERIFIED BY ME PERSONALLY as well as other TMC members. so right now you must hit 96.5mph to trigger auto-low suspension.) This was probably due to a merging of code branches or something of the like since this was the first major release post EU deliveries.

So please, stop saying that Tesla suspended the auto-lowering of the suspension, because they have in fact NOT.

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

^^^ No need to shout. :)

17. yobigd20

WHAT? lol Thanks Nigel, much more accurate now :)

18. rlang59

rlang59 Member

You do know that you are making an assumption about this and stating it as fact right? It may be true but stating it as fact is just as misleading as this thread title was.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Well, that and $45,000 for an 85 kWh battery vs. a couple of bucks for 3.5 gallons of gas.

20. yobigd20