TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Elon's long goodbye - now it's denouement - next stop Mars

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by calisnow, Oct 24, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

For me October 19, 2016 marked the climax of Tesla's story and in some ways makes me a bit sad. Like a kid opening Christmas presents, the "big ones" have now all been unwrapped.
    • 2008 - Act 1 - Setup - Roadster hits the market
    • 2012 - Act 2 - Confrontation - Model S hits the market - first long range practical EV, sales climb
    • 2016 - Act 3 - Climax - Tesla goes full autonomy and mass market with Model 3, auto industry in full response mode
    • 2017 - ??? - Denouement - Sales continue to grow, Model 3 takes over mass market, autonomy is refined. More generations of product, etc. etc.
    I am an optimist and I see Tesla's future success in some form as largely a foregone conclusion at this point. They will be successful on some level. Whether they dominate the industry or simply remain a player is not of chief concern in the narrative to me. They have forced the auto industry to rapidly accelerate the deployment of autonomous vehicles and EV drivetrains. They have made it embarrassingly clear to everyone that the auto industry was innovating far slower than is actually possible.

Yes, nerds like us will keep yammering away at each other over the details - defining autonomy, griping about flaws in the cars, complaining about Elon's big promises and timelines, etc.

But the bottom line is - he's done it. Elon Musk has gone from zero to mass produced, long range, self driving electric cars on a nationwide rapid charge network in less than a decade.

It's hard to believe that the roadster came out after the iphone - so much has happened so fast with Tesla that it seems, to me, like far longer than 8 years has gone by.

What's next? Elon makes Moller's Skycar a reality? There are no more major presents to open after October 19 - nothing on the "gee whiz" scale of the Model S, the Supercharger network, and full autonomy.

And so to me, October 19 is the marker of the beginning of Tesla's long goodbye to Elon Musk even if he hasn't explicitly stated it yet. He himself has said he doesn't want to run SpaceX and Tesla together forever. He was always destined for and fascinated by bigger things - Mars, the stars.

And so, being secular, but still possessing that deep human need to find larger-than-life gods and heroes - I hope before I die I can take a ride on a rocket ship to Mars built by SpaceX and Elon Musk.

Elon Musk hints at life after the Tesla Model 3

"Musk goes on to mention the fact he may not be in charge of Tesla after the Model 3 hits retail. "I will never leave Tesla forever," Musk said, "but I may not be CEO forever. Nobody should be CEO forever."

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 2.55.05 PM.png

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

Well written. Life is going to be much less interesting when Mr. Musk no longer runs the show at Tesla.

• Like x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Great post! I agree. And I also wish I could buy a ticket to Mars, but at 62 I'm too old. I hope you get your ticket!

Elon will gradually transition away from Tesla over the next several years. Making the humans a spacefaring species is an even more important, and massively more difficult goal than electrifying terrestrial transport using sustainable energy. I own TSLA but I want to see Elon focus on SpaceX and achieve his goals.

p.s. Love the image you posted.

• Like x 1
  4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

"Open the Falconwing doors, HAL."

• Like x 2
  5. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Despite my aging essay the other day - you're not too old either! Stay in shape, eat right. Maybe you'll be 95 before it happens - or even 100. But imagine a 100th birthday party on a launchpad with your friends - then "So long, Earth..."

6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Also depends on your genes. Myself, I don't expect to live past 65 at the latest.

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Nice Post #1,000, Calisnow! May you live long & prosper.

• Like x 1
  8. N5329K

N5329K Member

And if they're like the early FWD's, they will reply,
    "I'm afraid I can't do that, Elon."
    Robin

• Love x 1
  9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I'm confident Elon is already working on an AI solution to his own mortality.

• Like x 1