TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon's "looking at" a screen glass protector

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Randy Spencer, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

After one of the early accidents of a Model 3, one of those injured had cuts from the display being cracked during the crash. A tweet later from Elon promised that they would add a protector to the display so this won't happen in future cars. Anyone know if those made it into production? What is the VIN range that the change occurred?

-Randy

• Disagree x 5
  2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

That wasn’t that long ago. I highly doubt a fully engineered solution could be in place yet.

• Like x 4
  3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

No he didn't promise a screen protector. What he actually said:

Why does everyone say that Elon/Tesla promised something when all they said was that they would look at doing it? o_O

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Helpful x 3
  4. sports4eva115

I took delivery last saturday and there is a film installed on the screen. The reason why I noticed is because they didn't do the best job at applying the film, there's at least 3 bubbles....

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

That would just be the thin disposable film to protect the screen during manufacturing and shipping. (It has been there all long, though some delivery centers remove it when prepping the cars.)

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. sports4eva115

ahh got it, thanks for clearing that up for me! thought I was on to something for once XD

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

mod note: title amended for accuracy.

• Helpful x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Randy Spencer

This post was mostly about FoMo, I just got my car this last week but my VIN is in the 8000s while people this week are getting VINs assigned in the 15000s. If I heard "starting at 10000 the screen protector went in" I'd be bummed, but hearing that it's not going in yet makes me happy.

And the reason to use Promise, about random things that Elon tweets, is to emphasize that he posts even contradictory things, making his tweets sometimes not reflect reality, Tow hitch option anyone.

-Randy

• Disagree x 2
  9. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I still haven't removed the factory screen protector. years from now when the battery is dead, and the frame is rusted through, I can remove the film and have a perfectly pristine screen.... that doesn't turn on anymore. Such is the irrationality inside my head when it comes to taking off protective films.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  10. Randy Spencer

Did we ever see these show up on the new Model 3's?

-Randy

11. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

Nope.

12. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Delivery center ripped off my screen protector.

13. Randy Spencer

This was a permanent protector that covers the display's glass so that in the event of a crash if something hits the display you don't have broken glass to contend with in the cab.

-Randy

14. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

I just went and bought a proper screen protector sheet for it. Had to trim it a bit to get a perfect fit.