Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's Model 3 Deception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I admire and encourage any and all HUD talk, it is not an important technology for Tesla. In a production constrained model 3 it doesn't matter. In a refreshed S/X with even better screens it is of secondary importance.

While Tesla is certainly considering HUD, I think making the effort to do augmented reality HUD is unlikely. That effort would be better focused on FSD.

I do think the 2020 model 3 will have a nice HUD. It's the perfect compliment to the screen. It's the kind of fairly easy tech to add when they get some real competition.

FSD hardware was announced during reveal part 1. Elon clearly said afterwards that reveal part 1 is over, wait for part 2's next level.

The steering controls and system aren't much different than Model S.

Here's a 33.5k MRSP BMW 3-series, which would probably be lower at a dealer:
Build Your Own - BMW USA
It has better rims, leatherette interior, plus tons of standard tech gadgets, etc:
Home - BMW North America
Enjoy your BMW - get out of the way for those in line behind you for a Model 3.

Agree. HUD is coming - how soon unknown. Those high profile hires are doing something deep inside a Tesla lab somewhere.
I'll admit I held a first class ticket on the HUD hype train, and was (still am) disgusted by the talk of it not being important as cars get more autonomous, as I'm buying this car to drive it.

However, I'm liking what I've seen of the screen interface. The positioning of speed and other pertinent information really does look very accessible. Even if HUD is offered down the road, I don't really feel like I'm missing out.

I'm going to end all of this Bolt talk right here.

If you think this:
Toaster.jpg

looks better than this:

Tesla-Model-3-lead.jpg

then we can't be friends.

What you guys don't understand is that the Model 3 is supposed to be a 500k/year car. It's not going to be anywhere near that with the current pricing, features, and options.

You have to think outside of the Model S market and into the 3-series market. I think the 3-series only sells about 100k/year in the US.

People said the same thing about smartphones v. basic phones, when smartphones ended up costing 3x as much as basic phones.

Look how wrong they are.

People will pay more for a superior car. (And this is only assuming that people are ignorant and ignore the lower total cost of ownership of EV v. gas)

I guess the amount of Model 3 reservations and possibly some Osbourning effect to S sales changed Elon's mind.

One thing is the Model 3 ramp-up speed that probably changed his mind especially. They seem to be heading for a slow start.

It seems the rumors about the delays heard in April were correct. [Rumor] Significant Engineering Issues with Model 3

No surprises there.

Also, the speculation was correct that Tesla would launch with a larger battery for better margins during ramp-up.

Again, no surprises there.

Reactions: davidc18 and Matias
super disappointed, no way the base Model 3, which is the only version we can afford, is a better car than even a base Acura TLX. Yeah the TLX is an ICE, which sucks, but it comes with leather, heated seats, decent UI, and unlimited range.

My wife has been trusting my regurgitation of Elon's "this will be an amazing car, even at the base model" message, but after last night we're firmly in the market for an Accord or TLX.

Just a shame.
Enjoy your Accord bud-dy! Honda makes a nice automobile.

Reactions: davidc18
Except the Bolt is almost half the price of that car in the picture. Bad comparison.

People are saying Model 3 is so much more car for the money, but what they're thinking about is:

Autopilot (+5k)
Better fit and materials (+5k)
Better range (+9k)

but since Tesla is doing away with badging, if you walked up to that car a year from now, you'd have to actually look a little to figure out if it's the 35K or higher version.

and 2 of your items listed above aren't visible to an observer from outside the car........

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
What you guys don't understand is that the Model 3 is supposed to be a 500k/year car. It's not going to be anywhere near that with the current pricing, features, and options.

You have to think outside of the Model S market and into the 3-series market. I think the 3-series only sells about 100k/year in the US.

I don't think Tesla will have a problem selling 500K/year as long as self drive features doesn't turn into a complete FUBAR. But I don't think they will be able to produce cars at that rate before 2019.

Are we talking about speed? Sure, 7.1 0-60 isn't as fast as 5.6, but it's plenty for a mass market audience.

What I'm trying to compare is the standard features and trims and materials, etc. Elon said you can't get a better car for 35k, not even close.

Elon is correct - you cannot get a better car for $35K. I own two S's - you cannot buy a betyer sedan for any price - and I say that knowing I do not have coat hooks, that an S Class is quieter at speed etc. The trouble with the Model 3 crowd is they have no point of comparison - they belong to an economic group that can't afford the S and don't understand how the entire package adds up to something sooooooo much more pleasurable to drive than the competition that checking feature boxes is irrelevant.

I've been blessed in life (not a brag, just a fact) - I own more than one six figure Italian exotic and a six figure British grand touring coupe. You know how often I drive them after getting my first Tesla a year ago? Yes I will get around to selling off most of my personal ICE fleet eventually - they're all in storage now.

ZERO. (Okay I lie, the 6-speed 355 spider - my oldest exotic - does see the light of day - it's in a league of its own despite being 22 years old).

My Teslas have rendered these titans of exotic and luxury irrelevant and undesirable to drive.

That may be hard to understand coming from the world of $189 a month Camry leases - but it's true.

The Model 3 has zero competition at $35K.

Last edited:
ZERO. (Okay I lie, the 6-speed 355 spider - my oldest exotic - does see the light of day - it's in a league of its own despite being 22 years old).

My Teslas have rendered these titans of exotic and luxury irrelevant and undesirable to drive.

That may be hard to understand coming from the world of $189 a month Camry leases - but it's true.

The Model 3 has zero competition at $35K.

Thanks for your input, but you seem to be a car guy. The Model 3 is a mass market car for commuters and whatnot. Not everyone cares about how the drive compares to exotic cars.

The trouble with the Model 3 crowd is thy have no point of comparison - they belong to an economic group that can't afford the S and don't understand how the entire package adds up to something sooooooo much more pleasurable to drive than the competition that checking feature boxes is irrelevant.

I've been blessed in life (not a brag, just a fact) - I owners than one six figure Italian exotic and a six figure British grand touring coupe. You know how often I drive them after getting my first Tesla a year ago?

I'm gonna go ahead and stop you right there. I won't get into the perception most people will have about what you just typed, but considering which text I chose to quote, it shouldn't be hard to guess what people will think.....

TL;DR Buying "only" a Model 3 doesn't necessarily mean we can't afford a Model S. Some of us chose not to, because we don't need to be seen in multiple Italian exotics or British touring coupes.

I was able to make friends and attract a wife without any of that. ;)

Deception?

Well, it's worth putting it in the context of Supercruise and claims of Level 3 and electrification from others.

Ladies and gentlemen , choose your EV koolade.

Every manufacturer is pushing their own

• Funny
Reactions: cdub