Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's Thanksgiving gift: Beta 5 coming in a few days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has it made a mistake of staying in your lane going straight through an intersection?
I've seen it do this several times. Silicon Valley Owner's club had it turn the wheel 90 degrees in the middle of the intersection (but has since removed the video from YouTube, presumably because it showed him swerving in to the oncoming lane without his hands on the wheel). FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta
Whole Mars Catalog has driven into oncoming traffic a few times. There's even a clip of someone flashing their lights at him to alert him to that fact!
Brandon has it happen all the time too but he actually monitors the system correctly and stops it. It happens at 5:00 in this video that you watched. haha. FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)
Keep in mind that his sample size is incredibly small. Even if we didn't have a bunch of video evidence to the contrary it still wouldn't be proof. I think the rate of swerving in the middle of intersections should be very low before release.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7-1.16.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7-1.16.34 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: DanCar
Silicon Valley Owner's club had it turn the wheel 90 degrees in the middle of the intersection (but has since removed the video from YouTube, presumably because it showed him swerving in to the oncoming lane without his hands on the wheel). FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta
Oh indeed, I somewhat remember that now where it is simply going straight (as opposed to incorrectly switching lanes for an upcoming turn), and it didn't seem particularly tricky either. I was hoping if somehow initially released FSD beta could avoid lane changing logic, it would bypass a set of "phantom switching" issues.

If I had to estimate, current Autopilot already goes straight through 99% of intersections just fine, and FSD beta goes through 99.99% fine. But that's somewhat more of a reflection of traffic/road safety engineers making most intersections close to plain 90° crossings. And I suppose potentially it could be considered worse for FSD beta to fail in the 0.01% case due to the driver really not expecting it to do something wrong.

(Specifically about this intersection near the Los Gatos Supercharger -- I'm pretty sure I've gone straight through that intersection fine with current Autopilot. I wonder if latest FSD beta 6 handles it fine too.)

Do people have a sense of what FSD beta is really good at? Has it made a mistake of staying in your lane going straight through an intersection? Or following a single curving lane? Those seem to be significantly improved over the unofficial Autopilot usage on city streets right now.

I agree - I get forced disengagements all the time going straight through big intersections sometimes. The beta seems to 'see' and anticipate what is coming ahead a lot more.

I don't know though if the software is written to limit certain maneuvers, like city street turns, where I have seen the most issues from the videos. My gut tells me that Tesla will release all or nothing with respect to the new V11 FSD software. Only four more weeks left in 2020, so we should know pretty soon if anyone outside of EAP will get the update.