Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon's update on Dojo (Earnings Call)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Elon had a few things to say about Dojo during the Earnings Call today:

Dojo appears to be on track for doing something useful in the summer of this year. The question that really matters is when does it become more competitive than a GPU cluster for training. And GPU clusters are getting better so it is a moving target. But that is the goal I've set for the team is the FSD team running our GPU supercluster needs to tell me that they want to use Dojo instead. I don't know when that will be. I can't say success will be 100% there. We want to overestimate our options and underestimate ourselves. But it does seem like we might pass that threshold next year with Dojo.. Dojo is not needed for FSD but it is a cost optimization on training vast amounts of video data. Cost optimization also is a race of improvement. So if you can train models faster and have a short iteration interval then you can make progress faster. Not everything can be distributed to GPUs. There is some element of serialization. And if Dojo is competitive then it seems like the kind of thing where we would offer it to other companies that want to do neural net training. It is very much a neural net training optimization system. In theory, it should be better than a generalized computing platform or say GPUs that were not really intended for pixel shaders, not directly intended for optimizing training of neural networks. Dojo is like giant ASIC optimized for neural net training, especially video. We are not saying for sure that Dojo will succeed. We think it will. We encourage people who think it is an interesting problem, to join Tesla.

Elon seems to be really downplaying Dojo in his answer, basically saying that he hopes Dojo will be better but he is not really sure when. He even says that Dojo is not needed for FSD.

In recent earnings call Elon said he is going to spend $1 billion on dojo.

Separately Elon said Dojo not as good as nVidia, but have to proceed with dojo because can't get enough nVidia product.

In another tweet, Elon not sure that dojo will succeed.

Last edited:
Since they did the dojo presentation on AI Day, I've said that building a performant "nvidia clone" is a lot more work than building a chip and a box.
You need to build an OS, compilers, interconnects, schedulers et.c. Tesla published performance specs without having a full system to test on even. I'm sure the chip was competitive at the time, but quite frankly Tesla isn't Google or Amazon. They don't have the volume needed to get ROI on this investment, and it seems incredibly risky with little to no payoff to COTS.