Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EM on Twitter: 'I think we will probably stop at 100 kWh on battery size'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 100 kWh battery will be good enough as soon as they fill in the gaps on the super charger map, until then.....:(
As batteries improve from here, if the packs stay the same energy, the weight and cost will continue to drop. Reduced weight mean more range. That why the Bolt gets 238 range out of a 60kWh battery.

With enough weight reduction, the Model S could get probably get 400 miles of range from 100 kWh pack, which I think is a very reasonable range to stop at.

Apologize if posted before but EM dropped this nugget a few hours ago:

Twitter

'I think we will probably stop at 100 kWh on battery size'
Seems very unlikely, it does seem likely that they will stop at this cell count but if chemistry improves by 5% it's not likely that they will then reduce cell count by 5% to compensate. 315*1.05 = 331... These improvements are really starting to add up. Possibly what he means is that they'll increase cycle life/charge speed/power density rather than energy density given the choice...

As batteries improve from here, if the packs stay the same energy, the weight and cost will continue to drop. Reduced weight mean more range. That why the Bolt gets 238 range out of a 60kWh battery.

With enough weight reduction, the Model S could get probably get 400 miles of range from 100 kWh pack, which I think is a very reasonable range to stop at.
I can't see them getting much weight reduction. The car already is aluminum.

If you're mainly an around-town driver, and/or the SpC network is good enough, why would you want to carry around the extra
weight of an ultra-high-capacity battery rather than having a smaller, lighter battery that allows your car to be more nimble and
consume less energy on average? I predict, as the SpC network continues to expand, that the obsession with battery size will
increasingly be a throwback to early EV days. This is one of the reasons I think the new 60s are so exciting -- they exist in a different
world than existed when the original 60s came out.

100kWh is fine for sedans, but 100 kWh is not nearly enough for the Model X or any future truck-like vehicles that can be used for towing.
For such vehicles might it make more sense to have two smaller batteries rather than one bigger one? Seems like a lot less
development would be required for that solution. Something like an EV pickup truck would certainly have room.

I can't see them getting much weight reduction. The car already is aluminum.
It's not the chassis or body, It's the battery weight. That is why as energy density rises, maintaining the same kWh will still delivery higher performance and longer range. Within the constraints of currently expected technology advances with higher silicon levels in anodes, nano-technolgies and others, we still should see energy density rise by 25% or so in the next couple of years with cost reductions of 50% or so per kWh. At a minimum we ought to expect vehicle weight to drop by 15% or so, coupled with improved electrical efficiency in inverters, ancillary reductions in energy use by converting to 48V a/c with the rest of the industry and so on.

All of that will give, say, 25% range increase, 15-20% better energy consumption plus marginally higher performance.

All that is not vaporware, but probably will be Model 3 and revised S &X. We cannot underestimate the technical progress happening with the overall industry and Tesla specifically. Nobody knows the precise details. So, Elon is only suggesting that higher kWh is not the only way to go.

100kWh is fine for sedans, but 100 kWh is not nearly enough for the Model X or any future truck-like vehicles that can be used for towing.

The tweet he replied to was talking about the S. My interpretation (mostly because it's what I think) is that he was saying 100 is good enough for the S now that it has reached 300 miles. Maybe this could also apply to the X, but I think it could benefit from a 110 or 120. For truck/semi they will obviously need to go well beyond 100 for total capacity, whether from a bigger pack or a bunch of 100s working together.

For such vehicles might it make more sense to have two smaller batteries rather than one bigger one? Seems like a lot less
development would be required for that solution. Something like an EV pickup truck would certainly have room.

I don't know nearly enough about battery chemistry and supercharging, but would having two smaller batteries (e.g 2 60kWh for a total of 120) increase the supercharging time given the whole 'don't want to fill a glass too quickly at the top' metaphor?