TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EM Tweet: Ramping up autopilot team -- email -- proof of skills

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by scottf200, Nov 19, 2015.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#1 scottf200, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    @elonmusk: Ramping up the Autopilot software team at Tesla to achieve generalized full autonomy. If interested, contact [email protected]
    @elonmusk: We are looking for hardcore software engineers. No prior experience with cars required. Please include code sample or link to your work.
    @elonmusk: Should mention that I will be interviewing people personally and Autopilot reports directly to me. This is a super high priority. [update]

Image: http://i.imgur.com/aHeGTfM.png
    aHeGTfM.png

2. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Gorilla marketing at its greatest. He tweeted 10 minutes after he was on Big Bang Theory and Howard was asking him for an engineering job.

3. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I sent in a sample of my PHP skills. :)

5. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

What's Gorilla marketing??

6. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Great, now I'm going to have nightmares about my autosteer running on PHP.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I think getting the media player to use embedded album art should be super high priority.

[Sorry, couldn't resist.]

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Too funny FlasherZ.

Was that Big Bang Theory episode worth watching?

I wish I were 20 years younger and needed to work (actually, not really) - this would be an awesome project to work on.

9. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Looks like their API is .NET based (based on their job ads), but I'm sure the AP stuff is something else -- maybe C++?

10. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

It was either that, or LOGO.

REPEAT 360 [ FD 1 RT 1 ]
    HT

11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Ever tried to sell a gorilla? I have and it's really hard... Lots of permits.
    I ended up using guerilla marketing and it works great!

12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Gorilla/guerilla - language evolution at its finest. 50 years from now some person is going to ask, why do we call it Gorilla Marketing?

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

NAh... BrainF*ck would be better.

14. larmor

larmor Member

Not sure this is such a good sign to advert by twitter. If i wanted really skilled programmers, i would go to reddit. Or perhaps skynet has become self aware and has now controlled EM's twitter account...

15. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Someone on FB posted:

10 give me a job
    20 goto 10

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Love the way Elon publicizes job opportunities at Tesla. My wife and I are laughing about "Should mention that I will be interviewing people personally and Autopilot reports directly to me, This is a super high priority."
    But there's no pressure.
    No doubt tomorrow there will be a seeking alpha article titled "Tesla falling behind and desperate for engineers, company on the brink!" or similar nonsense.

17. rlang59

rlang59 Member

#17 rlang59, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

18. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

... Or Quora. Elon seems very popular on Quora.

19. BertL

BertL Active Member

Agree ...but it seems to be Elon's modus operandi, perhaps because he's comfortable with short tweets he can get out rapidly when it's part of his mind stream and easily ignore what he considers noise, vs spending the time for him, or better yet his HR Team to go through the initial vetting process for him to then do final interviews if thats what he wants to do. I also think the whole "Elon Tweet" thing has become part of Tesla's marketing and Elon's PR strategy to keep the media and everyone talking. We are, aren't we? ;)

To me, and as much as I love what can AND HAS been done with an entrepreneurial approach like we keep seeing (it's in part why I bought my MS, probably like many of us), I also think it demonstrates why some things never seem to quite get finished, or sometimes logical refinements never seem to come that only real users of a product day-in-and-day-out can identify -- because a real smart individual's lightning-speed thought process may already be on to the next big thing, when owners and future customers are still scratching their heads wondering why some things in their product are SO great, and they love what's being communicated as tomorrow's next best thing, yet tweaks and communication that would greatly improve both present and future owner's experience seem to be ignored sometimes for years... As has been suggested, Media Player, Nav, etc come to mind.

I strongly believe Elon and Tesla would serve themselves well with a little more focus ensuring "the I's get dotted and the T's get crossed on what has been started", along with circling back using real customer advisory input on "what can be improved with what we have", as well as "what we need for the future", are prerequisites to future volume sales.

20. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

They've done that. Creep, hill hold, safety, changing vehicle options back when requested - tires comes to mind, and so on. Have they missed/not fulfilled certain features (media player, nav)? Sure. But they've also checked off a lot of things all the while continuing to improve vehicles for current and future owners, expanding stores, SCs, SuperCharger Network, fighting the establishment, et al.

The reality is that what you see is what you get and no amount of wishing or hoping is going to turn Tesla into what we're all used to dealing with. There's a plan and come hell or high water the plan is going to be moved forward and realized because that's far more important to future generations than whether or not the media player isn't entirely up to snuff. First we have to transition to sustainable energy and transport, then will be the time to spend the next 100 years incrementally improving the vanity mirrors.

I strongly believe enough has already been done and will be done to ensure future volume sales. And I'm also perfectly okay with Elon reaching out to his almost 3M twitter followers and by extension their millions of family members and friends looking for talent. You never know where you might find the next brilliant individual and limiting yourself to the obvious places isn't necessarily going to get you what you want, so there's not a thing wrong with overturning every single rock.