Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from TAPTES really promoting a weighted ring to fool AP ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my view it is irresponsible to use one of those and even more irresponsible to market them for sale.

I agree.

Before anyone reports this thread, I had previously raised this type of product/hack with TMC Admin in a different thread and they view open discussion of this type of product/hack more useful than removing any reference to any products/hacks. Otherwise, with moderator hat on, the reference to this product/hack would be gone.

For avoidance of doubt. Removal of hands from the steering wheel whilst driving, such as facilitated by this type of hack/product would be 100% illegal in this country and 101% dangerous anywhere.

Does this even work in the EU cars?

I know in the US they used to be able to fool the car by sticking an orange or soft ball against the wheel and the spoke (?) as it only checked for pressure. Not sure if that’s still possible in US models but the EU ones require you to move or resist slightly the autopilot - would be interesting to see if the weight actually does it...

If people really want to bypass it then they will find a way but suprised a company would openly market a product to bypass a safety feature / requirement.

Does this even work in the EU cars?

I know in the US they used to be able to fool the car by sticking an orange or soft ball against the wheel and the spoke (?) as it only checked for pressure. Not sure if that’s still possible in US models but the EU ones require you to move or resist slightly the autopilot - would be interesting to see if the weight actually does it...

If people really want to bypass it then they will find a way but suprised a company would openly market a product to bypass a safety feature / requirement.
Simply resting your hand offcentre is enough to remove the nags so a weight would have no issues as it's essentially the same thing. I doubt it's any different to US cars.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Saints everywhere!
I received the same email... nobody forced me to buy it...
it's effectively a device that could cause death or serious injury. It's sole purpose is to bypass safety features. You're allowed to be upset and angry by someone selling or promoting something you disagree with irrespective of whether you're going to buy it.
I wouldn't want anyone to be using this on the road. When the car is capable devices like this won't be needed.

Before I got my car I searched for accessories and this came up quite a lot in Amazon and eBay. Not having the car I couldn't understand what it was for. Would be good is a(n apparently) well know vendor has removed it from sale. Doesn't do their image any good otherwise.

it's effectively a device that could cause death or serious injury. It's sole purpose is to bypass safety features. You're allowed to be upset and angry by someone selling or promoting something you disagree with irrespective of whether you're going to buy it.
I wouldn't want anyone to be using this on the road. When the car is capable devices like this won't be needed.
I agree with you!
Could cause... but in witch scenario? Of course the driver have to be behind of wheel and pay attention!

When I come out of the house COULD: I can stumble over something ... I fall head over heels or the corner of the house and that's it.

It's very likely someone else hit my car, than my car hit others cars( with FSD actived)... this is from my almost 15k miles with FSD.

So in what kind of scenario this ring is dangerous? (How I tell: driver behind the wheel and pay attention!)
I don't use this ring... 2 bananas until I get hungry: ))))

• Informative
Reactions: Yachtsman