Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from TAPTES really promoting a weighted ring to fool AP ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you!
Could cause... but in witch scenario? Of course the driver have to be behind of wheel and pay attention!

When I come out of the house COULD: I can stumble over something ... I fall head over heels or the corner of the house and that's it.
Feel free to un-buckle your seatbelt and use one of those plastic bypass clips on ebay. After all it's extremely unlikely, statistically, that you'll crash, and the seatbelt is a slight inconvenience after all...... :rolleyes:
This is likely illegal to use on UK roads as you cannot (currently) demonstrate you are in control of your vehicle if your hands aren't on the wheel. It's likely to be used by people who want to use their phone while driving or film themselves putting a sack of potatoes on the drivers seat and climbing into another seat.
it only takes one idiot who choses to use a device like this so that they don't have to pay attention to injure themselves or other people (or a brand) so let's not sell or promote devices that are designed to bypass a safety feature, irrespective of how likely or unlikely they are to cause injury.

Wheels are plastic/leather.. capacitance would be hard to make work - although apparently Mercedes have one coming out in 2021.

I expect eye tracking will be mainstream soon negating the issue somewhat (Tesla is already testing it).
Capacitance wheels are in the ID3 already along with the Ioniq 5 and no doubt lots of others, the Tesla system is purely weight based

If the car decides to brake or swerve I need to instantly take control & because this is a Tesla that's pretty much inevitable.

Not holding the wheel with any car let alone something so powerful & unpredictable just feels too risky.

I thought modern hands-on wheel detection (inc Tesla) was capacitive not weight based. I.e it knows if there is a living person's hand on the wheel and when there is just pressure.
not capacitive - relies on the torque sensor detecting rotational torque input.
simple way to defect these idiot devices would be to require torque input in both/random directions.

Imagine getting caught using one in an accident - that is immediately dangerous driving and quite likely a prison sentence, never mind the harm to others that might happen. Tesla autopilot is great - but not so good yet that it can be hands off.

Reactions: timeshifter
Capacitive detection wouldn't work if you were wearing gloves.

1619974184621.png

Reactions: D1939
Reactions: timeshifter
Just got a promotional email from taptes and couldnt believe they are actually promoting a magnetic weight to fool Autopilot
Does it even work

I don’t have an issue with hands-on, but I dont’ put much weight on the wheel when I’m holding it especially on motorways which need very little input when going straight. So often it’ll warn me even though I’m holding the wheel. Which then makes me have to conciously put a little bit of twist on the wheel and then sometimes it’ll come out of AP because its too much.

Hopefully they bring eye tracking soon.

I don’t have an issue with hands-on, but I dont’ put much weight on the wheel when I’m holding it especially on motorways which need very little input when going straight. So often it’ll warn me even though I’m holding the wheel. Which then makes me have to conciously put a little bit of twist on the wheel and then sometimes it’ll come out of AP because its too much.

Hopefully they bring eye tracking soon.

This is exactly my problem with it. Auto steer nags every 20 seconds and I have to apply torque to the wheel to shut it up. Doesn't make for a comfortable experience.

Reactions: Mrklaw
This is exactly my problem with it. Auto steer nags every 20 seconds and I have to apply torque to the wheel to shut it up. Doesn't make for a comfortable experience.
I found that wedging (more placing against) your thigh against the bottom of the wheel provides just enough resistance for it to stop nagging you (I have long legs) most of the time.