Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla? - Action Required for Personal Contract Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

received an email, seemingly from Tesla, stating
"Tesla’s payment processor (Adyen NV) have notified us that there is not an active mandate established for your financial agreement.

Please follow these simple steps to submit a new mandate:

Access your Tesla Account on Tesla.com

Select “Manage” next to the visual representation of your car

Select “More Details” under the “Financial Agreement” header

In the “Financial Agreement Summary”, select “Manage”

In the “Manage Payment Details” menu, select “Change” next to your payment method

Click on “+ / Add” (Do not select the existing Direct Debit information)

You’ll be transferred to the BACS Direct Debit portal, where you can add the new Direct Debit information.

Verify data and select “Continue”. This will perform a £0.00 verification transaction.

Print / Save new mandate for your own administration

Send a copy of the mandate to [email protected]"

It doesn't contain a link, just asks me to login to my Tesla account and follow the instructions given in the email, so I don't think it's a scam email.
The instructions do not mirror what I see in my Tesla account (the steps and sections are different), but I can get to the "right" place with some trial & error.

However, my account shows an active mandate, and my bank (HSBC) confirms I have an active DD mandate in place.
All payments have been completed to date, including the most recent 2 days ago - this shows in both my Tesla & bank accounts as completed.

I have queried Tesla financial support on this, but am not expecting great things (given it's Tesla, and involves customer support!), so wondered if anyone else had experienced this / similar?
Wondering if this is an element of Brexit rearing its head, given the payments are handled in the Netherlands if memory serves?

Any thoughts?

I’d be very careful indeed. Why would you be asked to ADD your existing and active bank account direct debit details?
Direct debits do NOT perform a “verification transaction”.
I’d do nothing without first speaking to the Tesla Financial team. It seems very unlikely to me that any genuine financial establishment would ask you to provide sensitive details without proper safeguards.
Phishing scams can be very sophisticated and look absolutely genuine but you could end up freely and willingly giving a criminal access to your bank account AND your Tesla account, they can then simply bleed it you dry and steel your identity and car to boot.
I’m not saying this isn’t genuine but it would be extremely prudent to be absolutely sure.

This is why I thought I'd ask the hive mind, as well as Tesla FS.

There is no link to follow in the email, so unless someone has managed to hack Tesla themselves and gain access to the account holder portal (and cover the fact I use 2FA to login to Tesla in the first place), I can't see there is much risk.
I'm more concerned that this is a f**k up by Tesla FS or their payment admins, and don't want to end up paying twice & chasing for refunds!

It is probably genuine as it's telling you to go to their site (on your own), login and follow steps within your account to re-enter your bank account details... As for why they've sent it to you when you seemingly do have one, who knows - might be a glitch with their system. Afraid you're going to have to reach out to Tesla to find out if you do actually need to do anything.

If you have a contact number on the Tesla Finance paperwork, I would call that first.

I had this today - it's a mistake - see email from Tesla today:

Hi XXX,

yes indeed, please disregard the email. This shouldn't have gone out to you.
We had some IT releases this week, which probably threw a spanner in the works.
Our apologies for the confusion!

Kind regards,
Alex

Tesla Financial Services Limited
Unit 1 Horton Industrial Park | Horton Road | West Drayton | UB7 8JD
t +44(0)1628244000 | e [email protected]

It sounds genuine -if in error. But you're right to be very careful.
Couple of years ago I thought I'd been intercepted while ordering my S and the more I investigated the more paranoid I got. Long story but I spent 6 months changing cards, passwords, bank accounts, driving licence, mobile etc etc etc and putting a stop on three credit monitoring agencies. The very fact of ordering an expensive car potentially makes you a target.

And folk wonder why fsd doesn't work?
I've just had a warranty repair and got 2 further emails to preauthorise the cost of £0 after I'd fulfilled the first.
It's 55years ago that i had a summer job with Eastern Electricity where they politely asked a user to send them a cheque for zero pounds so they could finally cancel the repeated bills for that sum she was getting.

Out of sight, out of mind = Invisible Idiot.