Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla describing Version 9.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This evening (Oct 5, 2018) I received an email from Tesla describing V9 software. I am the owner of a 2016 Model S.

Here is a link provided in that email which describes the update:

Discover Software Version 9.0

After reviewing the information provided by Tesla, here are my early concerns:

How is it better for Tesla to choose for me which apps appear on the screen? What if I want the rear view camera and a trip charge status be on the screen at the same time? With V9 that option is taken away. Just deciding what is above or below in the main window is a great user interface in V8.1. If the goal is to make the more expensive Models look more like a less expensive Model 3 kinda leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I do not see the advantages of replacing single/dual screens showing any combination of two apps with a single navigation screen with a single pop-up window of an app of your choice.

What am I missing?

Wow, there is absolutely nothing I like about 9. Thanks for posting that though.

I drive with my map on the bottom and media above, which I switch to other apps occasionally. This is also why I hate some apps defaulting to the bottom with 8.
As a bonus, keeping the map off the top allows the app menu to hide my screen bubbles.

It looks like I'll be perpetually declining updates from now on.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy and neroden
The point of my concerns wasn't that you couldn't keep a particular app on all the time, it was that you could not have TWO apps open at the same time of the users choosing. If you can do this, please share how. It would solve the whole issue,

Thanks

• Love
Reactions: neroden
...TWO apps...

Its demo video shows it allows 2 apps:

1) Map for the whole screen
2) for part of bottom screen: anything else (music, browser...)

I assume that if you touch #2, both 1 & 2 continue to show but if you touch any part of the map, #2 would disappear and the map would cover the whole screen.

That would be quite a step back for me because I want to be able to see the browser as well as my constant rearview camera. The above setup does not allow such an arrangement.

My preference is to have constant rear view camera even when I touch the map just like the way it works pre-V9 but the video doesn't show rear view camera.

• Love
Reactions: Ormond and neroden
That would be quite a step back for me because I want to be able to see the browser as well as my constant rearview camera. The above setup does not allow such an arrangement.

My preference is to have constant rear view camera even when I touch the map just like the way it works pre-V9 but the video doesn't show rear view camera.

Hmmm. This looks like v9 is going to be bad if the map is always on and basically takes over the whole screen with only one other app as popover on bottom. I have almost zero need for the map/nav for 99% of the time since I’m usually just driving around town (ie already know exactly where I’m going). So right now I normally keep the rear camera on top half of the screen full time and music player on bottom. If we truly will have no ability to put any app of our choose on top half, then it's effectively wasting half of the screen for me. Tell me it isn’t so...

For Model S and Model X, the new application launcher is located at the bottom of your touchscreen and brings all your apps together into one place, including your Calendar, Energy, Web Browser, Rear View Camera, Phone and Charging apps. Access your last-used app by swiping up on the application launcher icon.

I want to scream at Tesla for having a "Smartphone" mentality when it comes to UI. As an avionics s/w engineer, we try to avoid major changes unless there's a darn good reason - and good reasons don't include "Clean lines", or "Unification across product families". Easy to reach and press touchscreen buttons is a feature, not an unsightly limitation (as I imagine someone at Tesla believes, based on this update).

I mean c'mon Tesla, another submenu? Really? I was irritated enough (professionally and as an owner) when the UI changed to hide the app buttons when the map was displayed, but now it's a full on submenu so ... we can have another inch of map? And now instead of a random touch in the top 1/2 the screen I need to press a specific button?

And I will be really upset if we can only have one app (plus maps) open at a time now. I would have rather the media be omnipresent and maps be an "app". When I'm driving to work I don't need to see the map, but it is nice to have the Energy + Media, or Camera + Media, open.

Media Player can now be accessed with a single touch

This was already true in V8, and by the way, nice job moving said button to the bottom to undo my muscle memory.

Two thumbs down, Tesla, Two thumbs down.

So right now I normally keep the rear camera on top half of the screen full time and music player on bottom.

Thousands of us use this as our standard layout. We should make a petition to Tesla demanding that this layout remain an option in future versions of the software. Not that the losers at Tesla software development will listen to customer feedback, but we can try.

OK, I'm starting a thread:
Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

We need to raise hell about this. Breaking warrantied functionality is unacceptable, no matter what Tesla thinks.

1) Map for the whole screen
2) for part of bottom screen: anything else (music, browser...)

I assume that if you touch #2, both 1 & 2 continue to show but if you touch any part of the map, #2 would disappear and the map would cover the whole screen.
No, that's not how it works. If you have nav on top, browser (or media, or whatever) on the bottom, you can touch either top or bottom without the split screen going away.

However it's a bit quirky. If I have nav on top, web on the bottom, and WANT nav on full screen I have to select Web again. It's like the app buttons are both start & stop.

What I can't figure out yet is how to make web (or any other app besides Nav) full screen by itself. There is a "sizing' option so I can make it 3/4 screen but I can't find full yet.

Camera always on top or always on bottom: it would appear that most S and X owners prefer one or the other. The key is the ability to keep the camera on at all times while cycling as desired through the other apps (nav, browser, music, etc.).

V9 now removes this functionality. In doing so, it not only alienates a considerable number of owners, it also reduces the viability of an important safety feature. I'll stick with v8 until somebody at Tesla wakes up and realizes this. A simple poll of S/X owners should be enough to show how wrong-headed this change is. But hey, who cares what customers think?

I really want an "upgrade" that makes my car operate like a cheaper model.

I'm afraid you overestimate the amount of people using the camera while driving, and of those people preferring the camera above the navigation.

I'm pretty sure Tesla has statistics of the most popular layouts, since they built the car and can always monitor them. It would be foolish in this day and age not to gather statistics on how people use your product.

Just accepted my V9 update. Sitting in the garage, I could select the rear camera and 6-8 other apps to show on the lower half of the screen (actually seemed slightly less than 50%). We’ll see what happens when driving.

Last edited:
What is this stuff about the passenger being able to control the media from their phone? Is there a separate passenger app now?
It's in the Tesla app.

And maybe goes without saying but the radio must be on first. Was working in the garage and fired up the car radio with the door open - not sure why but it seemed to turn itself off after about 30 minute on a few occasions. You cannot start there radio from the mobile app.

• Disagree
Reactions: SportsmanFlyer