Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla - Powerwall uses 3G Cellular Please connect to Wifi or Ethernet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

Got this email today. Can't believe they used 3G in a product purchased in 2020

Starting in January 2022, many cellular service providers will retire their 3G networks. Your Powerwall currently uses the 3G network to access the internet and will need a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection to ensure continued system performance. Without an internet connection, Powerwall will not be able to connect to the Tesla app, receive software updates or access remote support.

Upvote 0
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

Those instructions seem to be new. When we did this previously, we logged into the powerwall on its own wifi network (its usually broadcasting) and set it up there, at least thats what I remember.

I have mine hard wired to ethernet, and still got this email, so this obviously was a blast to everyone, not just to people who are using the 3G connection.

Upvote 0

Did you scroll down? Its near the end

Upvote 0
Thanks for merging - I did. On the iOS app I don't see any options for "Customize" or "Network Setup"
Not on the App. You have to access the gateway via the web browser. Look at your router to see what address has been assigned and then use that IP address. Note most browsers will object since there is not a valid certificate so go to Advanced and approve the connect. Then use your Tesla creds to sign on and go to Network to review or make changes like assigning fixed IP address etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0
I think the app is currently crashing for all of us, at least as far as the energy part of it. Its crashing for me too, and now has a "server maintenance" notification. My system is connected via ethernet, so this isnt a "using wifi or cellular" thing for me.

Shrug.. I am going to go with the fact that they just sent out this email, and every single powerwall owner is now opening their apps, trying to scroll around, etc etc.

Reactions: jhn_
Upvote 0