Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla - Powerwall uses 3G Cellular Please connect to Wifi or Ethernet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

Not on the App. You have to access the gateway via the web browser. Look at your router to see what address has been assigned and then use that IP address. Note most browsers will object since there is not a valid certificate so go to Advanced and approve the connect. Then use your Tesla creds to sign on and go to Network to review or make changes like assigning fixed IP address etc.
The screenshots from Tesla show the mobile app though. If you can already connect via your LAN - why do you need to configure it?

Upvote 0
So, I just went out to the gateway box and logged into that device locally, using the Gateway's own private wifi. As I suspected, our Gateway2 is already configured to communicate via ethernet, wifi, and cellular, in that order. So, while cellular is on the list, our gateway has probably never used that mode except in the first hours before they plugged in the ethernet cable. During the install, Tesla insisted our contractor use wired ethernet to connect the gateway instead of WiFi, so that's what our contractor did. This is probably why I was so confused as to why my powerwalls would be communicating via cellular. Anyhow, we're already properly configured, false alarm, nothing for me to see or do here.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Upvote 0
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

For what it's worth, I am having the EXACT same issue in Android also. I should have checked here first before spending almost a hour troubleshooting myself!

Upvote 0
So, I just went out to the gateway box and logged into that device locally, using the Gateway's own private wifi. As I suspected, our Gateway2 is already configured to communicate via ethernet, wifi, and cellular, in that order. So, while cellular is on the list, our gateway has probably never used that mode except in the first hours before they plugged in the ethernet cable. During the install, Tesla insisted our contractor use wired ethernet to connect the gateway instead of WiFi, so that's what our contractor did. This is probably why I was so confused as to why my powerwalls would be communicating via cellular. Anyhow, we're already properly configured, false alarm, nothing for me to see or do here.
I don't think the Gateway being connected to the WiFi is same as the Powerwall being connected to the WiFi. Others can correct me if I am wrong, but they are two different connections as far as I know.

Upvote 0

What does this have to do with the gateway?

Upvote 0
So, "network setup" shows up in my app now as well and the small description text says "connect your powerwall to wifi". I know my system is connected via ethernet. I will have to go out and check what it says at the gateway later, but this* is fairly annoying.

*this, being the fact that the app is nagging me to setup wifi even though I have ethernet setup and also previously setup wifi on this connection.

====================
(moderator note)

@charlesj , I just deleted it as you requested.

Reactions: charlesj
Upvote 0
They are two different accounts totally. I have different passwords on my Energy Gateway and on my Tesla.com account
Yes, I see that this is the case. Logged onto the gateway and verified that it communicates, in this prioritized order: Ethernet, WiFi, and then Cellular.

I have no idea why this would be different for the PowerWalls themselves.

On the plus side, the "configure WiFi" option just appeared in the Settings UI for my IOS app. When I tapped it, that screen showed that it was already set for the WiFi network that was selected for the gateway. So, I guess it's all fine, there was never anything I needed to do, and Tesla wasted my time.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Upvote 0
I, of course, ran into the same problems as everyone else when I tried connecting this morning after seeing the Tesla email. I tried a few things, of course, got no where, and decided to check here. When I saw everyone was having the same issues connecting, I stopped working on it, as it was clearly a Tesla issue. I just got back, opened the app and it is showing it already connected to my WiFi 2.4 GHz channel with the checkmark showing.

Reactions: Dracaris
Upvote 0
It was a funny message to get, as there is not and never has been cellular at this location, and getting WiFi sorted out for the gateway was a real hairpuller.
I don't think the Gateway being connected to the WiFi is same as the Powerwall being connected to the WiFi. Others can correct me if I am wrong, but they are two different connections as far as I know.
Actually, I believe that powerwalls get their updates from the gateway. (I know that as I have never seen an unknown MAC address on our network.) They don't connect to the internet directly; they do it via the gateway. (In terms of security, a smart move in my mind) When you are logged into the gateway as an installer, you can push updates to the powerwalls. Be aware that if you do, the gateway gets the information on whether the Powerwall needs an update from Tesla servers, so after updating the powerwalls, the gateway will continue to report that they need an update for awhile, as in days. Apparently, the Tesla database carries "stale" data for quite some time. (Weekly updates?)

All the best,

BG

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0