Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla - Powerwall uses 3G Cellular Please connect to Wifi or Ethernet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

I had an interesting line on my iPhone app either above or below the Power Flow line stating "Configure Wi-Fi" What?
Played with it back and forth.
Then this email came today, what? I followed the suggestions. At first, I thought I had to change my phone wi-fi when that directed connection from 5gH channel to 2.4gH. But then I checked my phone's setting and it was still on the 5gH channel that I like here at home.
Last couple of days that "Configure Wi-Fi" disappeared.
Today I found it placed under the "Customize" section at the very bottom below the Vehicle charging ... section, below that "Go OFF-Grid" capability selection.
Checked it and the 2.4gH is checked. So, it appears I am wi-fi connected now and may have been in the past, don't know.

Now, my question is since my wi-fi is disconnected when we are asleep, will the data be lost or just transmitted when the wi-fi is back up.
I thought I was set to my expiration date but then this comes up. ;) :D

Upvote 0
So, "network setup" shows up in my app now as well and the small description text says "connect your powerwall to wifi". I know my system is connected via ethernet. I will have to go out and check what it says at the gateway later, but this* is fairly annoying.

*this, being the fact that the app is nagging me to setup wifi even though I have ethernet setup and also previously setup wifi on this connection.

====================

I connected to wifi in the app, to just make the banner that said "connect to network" go away. After that, I IP'ed into the gateway to check its network connection. Like a few others mentioned, it shows connected to eithernet, and wifi, and also cellular, with the ethernet having a checkmark next to it.

So, I guess I am set, but also put me in the camp that would have preferred they at least offered us a chance to upgrade the modem.

With that being said, if there is no internet, we can IP into our system on the local network to look at it, but I we lose the ability to change reserves and such if logged in locally, at least I am fairly sure.

Upvote 0
It was a funny message to get, as there is not and never has been cellular at this location, and getting WiFi sorted out for the gateway was a real hairpuller.

Actually, I believe that powerwalls get their updates from the gateway. (I know that as I have never seen an unknown MAC address on our network.) They don't connect to the internet directly; they do it via the gateway. (In terms of security, a smart move in my mind) When you are logged into the gateway as an installer, you can push updates to the powerwalls. Be aware that if you do, the gateway gets the information on whether the Powerwall needs an update from Tesla servers, so after updating the powerwalls, the gateway will continue to report that they need an update for awhile, as in days. Apparently, the Tesla database carries "stale" data for quite some time. (Weekly updates?)

All the best,

BG
That is my understanding as well, the Gateway makes all the communications with Tesla. Anything that the PW communicates is directly to the Gateway or changes frequency to shut off the panels, independent of cellular or wi-fi .

Upvote 0
I'm enjoying not having to edit the peak setting twice a day. Still seems like i'm forgetting to do something everyday. :) Got an email from Tesla today saying that in January the 3g service is going away. It gave direction on how to enable wifi on the system. Of course in the usual Tesla way those setting currently don't exist. It seems to be a pattern. Does anyone have a, "Configure Wi-Fi" section in their setting? I guess we are waiting for those to roll out. Actually I've got close access to an ethernet port via a mesh system module that is in my garage. A quick look at the gateway and inverter does not result in a visible ethernet port. Anyone know if there is one in easy access? Anything I can wire I wire.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have the "Configure Wi-Fi" on my Tesla app (iPhone, version 4.3.1). In the PowerWall section, hit Settings then scroll all the way down. It's between "Manage Paired Devices" and the Version & Serial numbers.

There is also an ethernet port on the gateway. I think you have to open a panel, but it's not hard to get to.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Configure wi-fi JUST showed up. Wasn't there when I opened it after updating app but there now.
The same thing happened to me - I played with it after getting the email, but there was no wi-fi option. An hour later, I checked again and the wi-fi option is there. I am still on 21.39.1, so there was no version change. When I click on it, my wi-fi network is there, and when I click on that, nothing happens, so I'm not sure if it's connected, or not.

Upvote 0
There is also an ethernet port on the gateway. I think you have to open a panel, but it's not hard to get to.
I opened the panel door to the gateway. You must have to remove the cowling because there is no ethernet port visible by just opening the panel door. It's too close to peak time to screw with the gateway. I'll check it out over the weekend.

I played with it after getting the email, but there was no wi-fi option. An hour later, I checked again and the wi-fi option is there.
Same here. Just checked again after reading here. There it is. They were doing something with the server this afternoon that interrupted the function of the app. It probably took a while to propagate out to the apps because it wasn't there when I first posted.

Upvote 0
I opened the panel door to the gateway. You must have to remove the cowling because there is no ethernet port visible by just opening the panel door. It's too close to peak time to screw with the gateway. I'll check it out over the weekend.

Same here. Just checked again after reading here. There it is. They were doing something with the server this afternoon that interrupted the function of the app. It probably took a while to propagate out to the apps because it wasn't there when I first posted.
They must have played with that "Connect to Wi-Fi" for weeks as I saw that line in the iPhone app home page by Power Flow but didn't know what or why now. Now I know, 3G is going away. Today this is under "Customize' for me

Upvote 0
I received the email, but the instructions to "find 'Settings' and select 'Configure Wi-Fi'" didn't work (no 'Configure Wi-Fi' appeared in Settings). I spoke with someone from Tesla who apologized for the confusion. She said that the email was only supposed to be sent to customers with a Gateway 1. I have a Gateway 2. She said the email did not apply to me, and Tesla was going to send out another email explaining that.

Update: The Configure Wi-Fi finally showed up, and it shows It already is on my Wi-Fi work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Configure Wi-Fi" just showed up in my app in the last 30 minutes.
I had already connected to the TEG through its own SSID and tried to configure it that way. Just as I suspected, my Wi-Fi is not strong enough to maintain a connection to the TEG.
I have a spare Ethernet at the phone/cable point-of-entry box several feet away from the Gateway. I will probably figure out what kind of conduit to run between them to connect the Ethernet.

Upvote 0
Lol I just got a message that says "my bad"

You recently received an email from Tesla asking you to Update Your Powerwall Connection. This was only intended for customers who rely on a 3G cellular network for internet connection and, according to our records, does not apply to your Powerwall system. Your system will not be impacted and you do not need to take any action.
We apologize for any confusion and appreciate your support as a Tesla customer.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: jhn_ and miimura
Upvote 0
Just got this from Tesla:
'You recently received an email from Tesla asking you to Update Your Powerwall Connection. This was only intended for customers who rely on a 3G cellular network for internet connection and, according to our records, does not apply to your Powerwall system. Your system will not be impacted and you do not need to take any action.
We apologize for any confusion and appreciate your support as a Tesla customer.'
Soo... only SOME Powerwall users have 3G? This could have been handled so much better.
Meantime, trying to connect app to my home wifi gives me an error msg. Hopefully that at least will clear up as the confusion subsides.
SMH

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211210-140307_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20211210-140307_Tesla.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Funny
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0
You need to remove the font panel of the GW to get to the ethernet jack. Unscrew one screw at the bottom, not the 4 screws near the middle. Don't do this if you're not comfortable working around electricity, as the GW contains 240V that is exposed once that panel is removed, and it will wreck your day if you touch the wrong thing. I'm pointing at the ethernet jack in the photo. You can see at the bottom of the photo where I removed one of the metal knockouts and put in a plastic grommet to prevent the ethernet cable getting damaged on the sharp edges.

PW Ether.jpg

Upvote 0