TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Email to Replace 12V Battery - Preventative Action

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by astrotoy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I just got an email from my SC rep that they want to replace my 12V battery. It is preventative. My car is a plain M85, 43XX delivered in February. I have had absolutely no problem with the battery, but getting a free new one is fine with me. Is this a general recall?

Thanks.

2. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Effectively, yes. There's a new deep-cycle battery they're using and they're proactively replacing them (though not all at once). Mine got replaced during my annual/12k service even though it had been replace before (with the inferior battery type).

3. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Mine's in for service right now, and they just told me today that they replaced the 12V battery as well.

4. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

I got the email in early October and also had no issues. Replaced it 6wks after the message and there were no problems in the interim.
    My email read:

"Good Evening, it has been brought to our attention that your 2013 Model S Vin: ......39XX is due for a 12V battery replacement. A recent vehicle log review indicates that the 12V battery installed in your vehicle is nearing its end of life. This is not an immediate safety concern, however if it is not replaced in severe cases, it may prevent the vehicle from loading firmware or in some cases prevent the vehicle from starting. The 12V battery should be replaced to eliminate inconvenience."

I think it's pretty awesome that Tesla replaced the 12v prior to a problem
    occurring, at no charge. Perhaps they can remotely diagnose impending 12v problems? My Toyota Highlander Hybrid had 12v issues and I had to suffer several non-starts prior to finally replacing the 12v at my cost earlier than it should have needed it.

5. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

#5 captain_zap, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    I think most of us early owners have had our 12V batteries replaced by now. They had a bad batch of batteries from a supplier. We were notified by Tesla and they sent a ranger to the house to replace it under warranty. Made me wonder what other systems they could diagnose remotely for purposes of preventative maintenance.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

If it's truly a recall, then you should be able to find it at Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

On other car forums, lots of people refer to random things as "recalls" when in fact they are often just TSBs or SSCs (Special Service Campaigns) or LSCs (Limited Service Campaigns). In the last two cases, that's Toyota parlance and I have no idea if other automakers use those same terms and TLAs.

7. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I posted this pic back in July after my second 12v replacement. They told me this is the "new" one. Is this STILL the new one or is there a "new" new one.:smile:

DSC04365.JPG

8. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I think the title of the thread should be changed. With all of the negativity that the media has tried to bring to Tesla over the accidents, we do not not need this incorrect and misleading title of the thread. There is a substantial and important difference between a service campaign and recall as was mentioned previously. I do realize the OP just likely used the term incorrectly (and it seems to be so common for people to term even a service bulletin which is not the same thing as a campaign or recall). That being said, it is an incorrect term and given the aforementioned exaggerations of the media we need to be as acccurate as possible with these sorts of discussions. My battery was replaced due to a screen message, but I never had an actual problem and I think Tesla is being very proactive about taking care of these before they cause anyone to be stranded.

9. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I'll be happy to change the title. How is that done?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Mine was just replaced yesterday (took Delivery just over a year before; Dec. 12, 2012)...and never got a notification, just happened to be in for my handling issue and they did the 24K service a little early since they had the car on hand.

11. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

#11 NoMoGas, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    <br>
    <br>
    With due respect the difference is negligible and really parsing words. Tesla is asking all owners of vehicles between certain delivery dates to return (recall) to a factory service center to have a known issue with the car fixed proactively. They should be commended for this but lets avoid the word play... it is what it is.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I can do it. Just remove word recall?

I changed to it Email to...
    Let me know if you want something else.

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

There's actually a difference beyond word use. Recall means a safety related defect and the manufacturer must pay for it even if your car is out of warranty. A TSB is just a fix for a general problem with the car and is not covered if your car is out of warranty. That's why it's a separate section in the NHTSA site.

14. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I'm happy with the title change.

Just to report back, I just called my rep at the SC and asked if they could have a ranger do the replacement. My guy, Vince, in the San Rafael SC, talks to his techs, and one lives not too far from me and will bring out the new battery to my home this afternoon on his way back home and make the change - no fuss, no bother. What great service! I can't see my Lexus dealer doing the same - when I had a defective battery - I had to jump it and bring it in and wait for the replacement.

15. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I had an interesting related experience...

Back in September I took my car (VIN 17xx) to Fremont SC for annual service and replacing the 12V battery was on the list of stuff to do. Well, after a couple of days they still hadn't had time for my car so I lost patience and took it back. Booked another appointment, but this time for the new SC in Palo Alto a month later. Service got done, but no new 12V battery. I asked and they said it wasn't on the list.

Maybe it was something that was put on the list, withdrawn, now back again? :confused:

16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

There was another thread that says service centers don't generally share information among each other (no central database), so it may have got lost in that process.

17. peahle

peahle Member

I got a phone call to replace the battery yesterday night and today the ranger came to the parking lot where I left the car for the train ride to work. Really amazing with the iPhone I could see when they started (the door and frunk showed open), they disconnected the charging cable during the work and started charging again when they left. Btw the City of Oceanside is really very generios, there are 7 Blink charging stations on the parking lot of the Amtrak/Coaster/Sprinter/Metrolink station and the charge is for paid by the City so free for the commuter who take the trains. I work in Irvine and take the Metrolink every day and charge usually twice during a week.
    Peter

18. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I got my replacement battery about an hour ago. The service guy arrived a few minute ahead of schedule and took about 40 minutes to do the job. I asked him about the battery and he said that they were replacing the Exides which proved to have issues. According to him, the car uploads info to the SC including any issues with the battery. If they see an issue or potential issue, the SC contacts the owner and gives them the replacement battery which is a different brand (he told me but I forgot - it has been an hour after all). No more power, but more reliable. So the battery replacement may occur because the car is telling the SC that there is something happening or going to happen. Also, if you have the car in for service, they will just go ahead and do the change.

To me this is quite amazing - the car tells the company of a potential problem and then the owner gets contacted to do a preventive fix. It seems it wasn't too long ago (it really has been 30 years or so ago) when the US cars I bought had quality control staff - they were called the car owners. And you had to argue and sometimes escalate to get them to do the repair or replacement under warranty.

19. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I appreciate your viewpoint, but respectfully disagree. Maybe it's because I was in the automotive service business (for Honda/Acura, and then BMW as a tech, service writer and service manager) but to me the word recall is misused very often and is very different than a service campaign or bulletin. If NHSTA decides the fires are due to a defect or design there will be a RECALL. Recalls never have an expiration date or mileage (meaning you could take a car in 10 years from now and get the required work done free of charge since it's a federally mandated repair or replacement). Service campaigns often have no warranty extension beyond the original manufacturer's warranty (although they can should the manufacturer choose) but are done automatically when a car comes in for service or sometimes owners are contacted for a repair/replacement. This thread would fall into that category to me. A service bulletin is normally just an assistance in guiding a tech to the proper diagnosis/repair of a possibly common issue. Those almost never are performed gratis beyond the original warranty period.
    Interchanging the terms Recall and Campaign would be like interchanging warranty and goodwill repairs. There is an important (and legally defined) difference.

In any case, I appreciate the title change by the OP. I am willing to take the lumps the car may get if there is in fact a defect (which I honesty doubt there is), but we don't need misinformation scaring away potential customers and giving the media more ammo. We know the haters troll here.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

^^^
    Well, said. It is somewhat annoying that people often mislabel (seen it on plenty of other car forums) what really are TSBs or service campaigns as recalls, when they are NOT recalls.