Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email update from Tesla March 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The logical side of me says:
  • You don't need as much power for accelerating a lighter car,
  • I don't need all the customization choices, at least the basics on cars in that price range should be offered one would hope.
  • I don't need as much interior space, Model 3 is supposed to have more than any other car that size.
  • As far as acceleration, if the eventual performance model is a few tenths of a second slower than the P100D then I guess I don't really care. I'd still like it faster than a hellcat...

I think you nailed it.
1. The S75 I purchased while waiting for the M3 accelerates plenty enough for me. I suspect the M3 will be faster and have more range.
2. I have only a couple options, so anyone with an M3 should happy with a few as well.
3. As for space, I'm mostly the only person in the car, so it's far more spacious than I probably need.
4. I really don't care about a Hellcat pulling up along side of me. I'll rev up my batteries, let him take off like a bat out of hell and get the radar ticket a half mile down the road....

I canceled my M3 reservation, so a lot of people move up 1 space from around 155,000.

Last edited:
Most of the options that posters are suggesting the Model 3 won't have (other than AWD and P, which will come eventually) are things I don't want. Tesla has said it will have all the safety features. Living in Spokane, I don't need "bioweapon defense." (If there's an actual biological attack and it reaches Spokane, my car won't save me, and our air here is pretty clean.) I don't even want hidden door handles, leather seats, air suspension, fancy interior lighting, or any of the other "look at me" features. I want safe, quick, simple, and AP. Tesla has promised that the 3 will get top safety ratings, and I do not believe they will intentionally cripple its performance just to push the S. Its performance will be limited by the smaller battery and probably smaller motors. That is, they won't intentionally cripple it, but they also are not going to try to make the 3 the quickest car on the road.

Obviously, the 3 will draw some sales away from the S because there are folks who really want a Tesla and like me want a smaller car, or would rather save some money for other things. But the difference in both size and price is so great that I really don't think they will lose many S sales.

Reactions: SageBrush
Cheaper interior materials? I HOPE NOT! I thought current owners already had complaints about the quality, design and fit/finish of the interior.

Tesla can't offer a junk interior. They'll sell less 3's than they otherwise would have and they'll set EV adoption back years.

The interior design and materials better be comparable to entry level German luxury vehicles.

Cheaper interior materials? I HOPE NOT! I thought current owners already had complaints about the quality, design and fit/finish of the interior.

Tesla can't offer a junk interior. They'll sell less 3's than they otherwise would have and they'll set EV adoption back years.

The interior design and materials better be comparable to entry level German luxury vehicles.
I can make do with lack of alcantara. But there better not be a HUGE load of plastic everywhere like a prius.

I test drove a $40K Bolt the other day. It has to be better than that - which is frankly a pretty low bar for Tesla. I can't imagine the interior design team will put up with anything approaching the abomination that is the 1986 boom-box interior of the Bolt.
tiki-download_file.jpeg