Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Embarrassed By Falcon Wings Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone else thinks they might feel embarrassed using the falcon wing doors (looks too ostentatious). I'm a new mom so am excited about the prospect of getting my baby in and out more easily with these doors but am a bit concerned they might draw too much attention.

Imagine how embarrassed you will be when the doors open and flight mode is enabled via a software patch ;).

Just kidding, I wouldn't care for two seconds about what other people think. The falcon wing doors should vastly improve ingress/egress with a child, so just enjoy it :)

Better wear clothes that you are willing to be seen by others whenever you open the doors in parking lot or school or shopping area, guarantee that you will draw curious people. Good opportunity to make sales pitch and make new acquaintances, look at it as networking opportunity.

Curious if anyone else thinks they might feel embarrassed using the falcon wing doors (looks too ostentatious). I'm a new mom so am excited about the prospect of getting my baby in and out more easily with these doors but am a bit concerned they might draw too much attention.

My wife felt odd driving the Roadster, and then the MS (less so) to work. It is a bit odd having cars like that at a non profit organization with a goal of helping the poor:scared:

She has had nothing but great responses.
That said, being in Southern CA, I don't expect the X to be as unusual as it is out here in MN, or many other places.
If you have a sig, it may be more of a splash than you want.

If anyone asks, just have your wife tell them about how much easier the doors make getting the kids into the car (assuming that is true).

When innovations appeared on the Big Three, by my recollection, they covered one another: quad headlights and swept back windshields, for instance. Fins too.
That is, your car was not the only one with the new feature.
Tesla has no fellow manufacturers and will be very conspicuous, even embarrassing.
How likely is it that other companies come out with falcon-type doors? I think they will delay for maximum embarrassment.
~Larry

My only concern is if the beeping remains as heard during the prototype demonstrations. Click the photo to access the video and hear the sound.

21020385358_770749853d_z.jpg

One reason we won't need a roof vent could be those who are standing near the vehicle or are parked nearby with their engines running waiting for our return. "Can we see the Falcon Wings rise?" might be heard worldwide.

Last edited:
Yes, they draw attention wether you want it or not. In Palo Alto I wouldn't worry... in Cincinnati I already have one kid who doesn't want to be picked up from school in my red MS.

My kids are the opposite. They love it when I pick them up. It was a novelty for the teachers etc in the pick up lane for a bit but now it's no big deal.

That's what happens when you design, engineer and build a car in California ;). If the falcons weren't as functional as they are beautiful then I might agree. Once you see how easy they make getting in and out I think you won't care. Just my 2 cents

No I wouldn't. One reason is it does serve useful functions without looking dorky like a minivan door. If I'm not mistaken it opens even wider than the minivan sliding door.

My only concern is if the beeping remains as heard during the prototype demonstrations. Click the photo to access the video and hear the sound.

That could be a safety feature, mandated or not, like the beep when you close the hatch. For that matter you can't defeat the hatch alarm.

My kids are the opposite. They love it when I pick them up. It was a novelty for the teachers etc in the pick up lane for a bit but now it's no big deal.
Both kids absolutely love the car, but the one in public school Jr high doesn't want to be labeled as the rich kid...Jr high sucks.
I kind of agree with him. In line with all the regular cars it does feel ostentatious, and I've never seen another one at any of the schools in our district.
I think the falcon doors would feel even more like I'm flying too close to the sun.

I personally wouldn't worry about such things. I think generally you see more curiosity and wonderment from unique cars than you do disdain. You'll still get disdain from a few but that's like any vehicle. (Personally, being able to fit in miniscule parking spots in my smart car always got plenty of attention in my city).