Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Embarrassed By Falcon Wings Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my wife's big beef with the car. She doesn't want to have everyone staring at her and the kids every time they get out of the car. People will adjust and it will be no big deal eventually. That'll probably take time though as these are going to be rare everywhere besides California for years to come.

This is the main source of hesitation in our house. My wife thinks it's ostentatious and my kids are saying they're going to climb up to the front and exit through the front doors at school. I kind of get it. But I'm getting the car anyway because I'm in love and I would crawl over hot coals to get my keys.

Both kids absolutely love the car, but the one in public school Jr high doesn't want to be labeled as the rich kid...Jr high sucks.
I kind of agree with him. In line with all the regular cars it does feel ostentatious, and I've never seen another one at any of the schools in our district.

At my daughter's public school, last year I was in 1 of 3 Chevy Volts that were regularly in the carpool line. Now I am in the only Tesla.

To make matters more interesting my carpool tag number that I must hang from my rearview mirror: "007"

At my daughter's public school, last year I was in 1 of 3 Chevy Volts that were regularly in the carpool line. Now I am in the only Tesla.

To make matters more interesting my carpool tag number that I must hang from my rearview mirror: "007"

Just keep the Tesla Peacemaker Package (hardware sold separately) up on the screen and you're all set.

Curious if anyone else thinks they might feel embarrassed using the falcon wing doors (looks too ostentatious). I'm a new mom so am excited about the prospect of getting my baby in and out more easily with these doors but am a bit concerned they might draw too much attention.

Think about your child.

Now..., what's more important?

Driving something that emits less Green House Gases than almost any other car.

AND

Supporting the only car manufacturer on the planet that only manufactures and develops electric cars.

OR

Conforming to what might be other people’s opinions.

?

Seems like a very easy choice to me.

I know what I would choose if I had the money: The Model S because I prefer a better handling, smaller car :wink:

Full disclosure:

I currently drive one of these (might be other rims though – kind of hard to tell...):

Station_wagon.jpg

A Tornado Red, bought used 2012 methane-propelled Euro VW Passat Station wagon. ~60% of all methane for vehicles in Sweden is sourced from recycled organic waste (Could easily be a 100%...). And 0 fracking in Scandinavia AFAIK. Need ~80% more range than Leaf to keep day job and not have to move…)

I’d buy a Model S today if I could, but as a state employed social worker in Sweden I get about $2660 each month when taxes are paid. And as I’m thinking about changing careers (as in going back to University) it’s just not realistic. The Model S 90D I’d like to get costs $128 250 with some options in Sweden (includes ~20% VAT). (If I change careers I won’t have a car at all.)

Given how much attention I get from the door HANDLES of the Model S, I can confidently predict that the falcon wing doors will draw at least as much attention. If not a couple orders of magnitude more. :)

I'm generally not an attention seeker and initially thought I might be embarrassed by so many people looking at and commenting on my car. But the experience has been pretty much 100% positive in the 2 years I've had a Model S.

That's my wife's big beef with the car. She doesn't want to have everyone staring at her and the kids every time they get out of the car. People will adjust and it will be no big deal eventually. That'll probably take time though as these are going to be rare everywhere besides California for years to come.

I am a big time introvert and certainly understand that feeling.
The redeeming factor is that they won't be looking at her or the kids. They will be looking at the car;)

For the safest vehicle of its class, and likely second only to the Model S, what else would you rather they be driving/riding?

So your door opened up instead of out? Embarrassed? I must admit I'm having trouble even understanding the question. It is my intent to bring attention to the car and the company that made it. You'll be driving the latest version of "best car ever made". Seriously. So embarrassed just doesn't fit anywhere in that equation.

If attention bothers you do not drive a Tesla.

So your door opened up instead of out? Embarrassed? I must admit I'm having trouble even understanding the question. It is my intent to bring attention to the car and the company that made it. You'll be driving the latest version of "best car ever made". Seriously. So embarrassed just doesn't fit anywhere in that equation.

You can love the car (and everything that comes with it) and still dislike the attention. Some folks are introverted. Some don't like to be salesmen. Some just want a nice car.

For me, it was a concern for my wife since she isn't all gung-ho Tesla and would be driving around the kids in it, so the attention wouldn't really be a good thing for her. I can just imagine her frazzled trying to rush them somewhere, or quiet them down or any number of other scenarios people with 2 kids under 4 would know about and having to field questions from lookie-loos at the same time.

Me? Assuming I were in the mood, I'd have no problem showing them off. They are much more flashy than the handles though, which you can explain away as helping aero -- these? Yeah, they give you easier access, but really are just flashy.

I am a big time introvert and certainly understand that feeling.
The redeeming factor is that they won't be looking at her or the kids. They will be looking at the car;)

For the safest vehicle of its class, and likely second only to the Model S, what else would you rather they be driving/riding?

That's one of the big reasons I'm pushing the thing as hard as I am. If they we're ever injured in an accident and I hadn't insisted on the safest car possible I would be quite upset with myself.

or any number of other scenarios people with 2 kids under 4 would know about and having to field questions from lookie-loos at the same time.

Me? Assuming I were in the mood, I'd have no problem showing them off. They are much more flashy than the handles though, which you can explain away as helping aero -- these? Yeah, they give you easier access, but really are just flashy.

I think with 2 kids under 4, you will find the falcon wing doors to be a huge improvement in utility and ease of access, not just some afterthought driven by flashiness.

There are too many livingroom quaterbacks here. And they are trying to tell you the play is wrong even before the touch down, or interception, pass is thrown. Believe me, just like you, Elon and the team KNEW everything about why the FWD should not be there.

First is the sliding door option. If it's so good why there is not a single SUV that has that. Most of the SUV makers make minivan too they sure know how to do it. Because they know it's the suicide for an SUV. People who buy an SUC because they don't want a dorky minivan. Who in their right mind would want to have the signature feature of a minivan in their sporty SUV?

Then there is this regular door would be just fine or better argument. This is THE feature of the Model X. Don't discount anything simply because it's something new that you don't know. Wait until you see how it actually worked, or the pass is completed, before making the judgement. The moment you see a Model X and another SUV side by side in the parking lot with one mom, or dad, trying to squeeze through the little opening to sit the kid and the other simply walk in it to do the same you'll figure out it's not just form over function.

Last edited:
My concern is the embarrassment will come when the doors misbehave and don't close properly and don't open who you want it to, and you are forced to get down and do it manually, while others are waiting behind you patiently on the school carpool lane with a bemused smirk on their face.

Hopefully not, but we will see.