Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Embarrassed By Falcon Wings Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone else thinks they might feel embarrassed using the falcon wing doors (looks too ostentatious). I'm a new mom so am excited about the prospect of getting my baby in and out more easily with these doors but am a bit concerned they might draw too much attention.

you'll already garner a lot of jealous/hater attention because you are driving a TESLA. as a Model S driver for almost 3 years, you are already announcing you have a lot of money by driving a Tesla at all. the falcon wing doors is the least of your problems...

i'm like you. i love the car but hate the attention. probably because in these hard economic times, the vast majority of people can't even fathom driving a $100k car. this gets lost on the northern California / Silicon Valley crowd, but it's very much the reality in the rest of the country.

I think with 2 kids under 4, you will find the falcon wing doors to be a huge improvement in utility and ease of access, not just some afterthought driven by flashiness.

Oh that hasn't been lost on me. I fantasize over how easy it might be to get these guys in and out. When there was a rumor the seats might swivel out, we were damn near in heaven. But, that doesn't change that the WAY to get to the opening will be seeing clear across the parking lot :tongue:

My concern is the embarrassment will come when the doors misbehave and don't close properly and don't open who you want it to, and you are forced to get down and do it manually, while others are waiting behind you patiently on the school carpool lane with a bemused smirk on their face.

Hopefully not, but we will see.

Haha, experienced that with my trunk recently. Hit the button (outside or on screen) and it just kept beeping. Had to get out and manually open the trunk (my wife was bringing groceries back into the car and I tried to pop the trunk for her so I wouldn't need to get out)

Well, I'm a recovering introvert and my wife doesn't like attracting attention, so I suspect we'll be taking the Model-X around town only when there is 1 or 2 people in the vehicle (so we won't have to use the FWD). I think it will be okay on ski (or climbing/camping) trips as we won't probably see those people again and resorts are a bit more upscale than where we live.

I am preparing myself to becoming more of an extravert for when people ask me questions about the Model-X, but I may have to limit opening the rear doors, depending on what part of town I'm in.

We Canadians tend to be a bit more reserved.

Last edited:
Soccer Moms took very willingly to the automatic opening and closing sliding doors on their beloved mini-vans. Don't believe they will have any problems with pressing a button to let the little ones out at the curb.

Might be kind of a status symbol when picking up and dropping off the kids.

you'll already garner a lot of jealous/hater attention because you are driving a TESLA. as a Model S driver for almost 3 years, you are already announcing you have a lot of money by driving a Tesla at all. the falcon wing doors is the least of your problems...

i'm like you. i love the car but hate the attention. probably because in these hard economic times, the vast majority of people can't even fathom driving a $100k car. this gets lost on the northern California / Silicon Valley crowd, but it's very much the reality in the rest of the country.

In Cali perhaps. Lots of people here in TX don't really know what a Tesla is yet. And since the S isn't so glaringly showy, it glides under the radar. I'm gonna assume the same for the X, until the doors open that is!

Unfortunately, the falcon doors are the biggest impediment to Model X in our household. Our MS is ostentatious enough -- but also very nondescript to most people. The thought of those falcon doors opening at school pickup has my wife fairly mortified. Current compromise is to wait and see (we've had our reservation for more than 2 years so another couple months isn't going to kill us).

I'm guessing at this point we'll end up with a second MS instead. (I personally have no desire to drive anything bigger than MS, no matter how sporty).

Well, they are the doors of a billionaire...

doors.gif

1. Who cares what people think about the doors. Not a question. Drive what you want to drive. Drive a vehicle that can potentially have zero emissions and care about that. If Tesla cared what others thought, we'd never have these cars to drive.

2. Teach your kids not to worry about appearances and focus on content. Drop them off in the X if you want to.

3. Teach other people about our safe, practical (compared to similar price point vehicles), and gasoline free vehicles.