Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Embarrassing trunk close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or does closing the trunk sounds well.... like an 80’s Nissan Micra. Has anyone tried to put in soundproofing or similar to make it sound better?
I didn't have a Micra in the 80's I had a Peugeot and I have literally described it to friends as sounding like a 1980's Peugeot so I think we are on the same page.
The plastic trim on the boot lid is quite chunky yet in theory there is nothing in there at all. if removed I bet there is room in there for some additional sound insulation both of the stick on deadening type and some high density foam.
I probably won't bother though. I find it nostalgic. :)

Reactions: Sixer
Is it just me or does closing the trunk sounds well.... like an 80’s Nissan Micra. Has anyone tried to put in soundproofing or similar to make it sound better?

Yes, unfortunately I don't think Tesla bothered with trying to engineer the "quality car soundscape" that some other manufacturers build in ... same with the doors.

I don’t think the UK number plate holder is helping much either. Rattley plastic thing with flappy ends. Give it a flick and you probs realise how much of the crap sound comes from there.

overall, I don’t think anyone at Tesla has done that German thing of standing around slamming openings in a sound tuning group steering session or whatever but I can’t say I’m that bothered. Came from a Merc to the Model 3 and I was frankly a little tired of the discussions about fit and trim and thuds and clunks and stuff people parp on about. The 2 best ICE cars I ever owned were both mk1 Imprezas which were made out of recycled washing machines and shutting the doors was like hitting a bin lid with a crow bar. It was other stuff that made me remember those cars.

I'd noticed that the number plate rattles a bit when closing the trunk but other than that I generally don't pay attention to the sounds when closing things. As long as it sounds like it's actually shut I don't particularly care! It'd be more annoying to me if there were squeaks or rattles or whistles while driving.

I don’t think the UK number plate holder is helping much either. Rattley plastic thing with flappy ends. Give it a flick and you probs realise how much of the crap sound comes from there.

overall, I don’t think anyone at Tesla has done that German thing of standing around slamming openings in a sound tuning group steering session or whatever but I can’t say I’m that bothered. Came from a Merc to the Model 3 and I was frankly a little tired of the discussions about fit and trim and thuds and clunks and stuff people parp on about. The 2 best ICE cars I ever owned were both mk1 Imprezas which were made out of recycled washing machines and shutting the doors was like hitting a bin lid with a crow bar. It was other stuff that made me remember those cars.
I've taken all that off in favour of a single plate stuck straight on. Can't say its made much improvement to the quality of the boot lid closing experience TBH.

I found the sound of the boot closing was improved considerably by adding foam pads to the rear plate holder. Some people remove it completely and attach the plate directly to the boot lid with double-sided tape.

You could probably buy a rubber seal kit if you just want that more weighty "clunk" sound.

I found the sound of the boot closing was improved considerably by adding foam pads to the rear plate holder. Some people remove it completely and attach the plate directly to the boot lid with double-sided tape.

You could probably buy a rubber seal kit if you just want that more weighty "clunk" sound.

I really need to get round to doing this, totally agree with the OP. It was worse before mobile service adjusted the boot as it needed a right slam to close prior

Just thought I’d resurrect this. Has anyone else got marks on the paint and the edge of the boot lid, where they’re making contact (either on closing or as the vehicle is in motion)

I’ve added it to my service request, to see what they say...

F144BEE1-2F36-4541-BEDE-D059A3814373.jpeg
B180AA0B-F8DD-4533-B564-90062E09E490.jpeg
15FA6462-AD94-4048-B7B3-CE001C6B05C2.jpeg