TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Embedded USB Album Art - How Do I Do It?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Brunton, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Brunton

Brunton Pontificating the obvious

I have no album art with my USB music. Is there some trick to embedding it so it will show when a song is playing?

I ripped my entire collection of CDs (some 600 of them) into FLAC files while waiting for my MS delivery in March. I don't recall any sort of option to embed cover art.

I simply don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

2. RichardL

RichardL Member

Most CD rippers will do this for you automatically (or semi automatically if you prefer)

I use a tool suite called dbpoweramp, which includes a cd ripper. When I place the CD into the drive, dbpoweramp reads it, gets the track info (typically via an internet connection), or rarely, you have to type it in. It also fetches one or more cover art files, or you can scan your CD and use that. Then it will embed the image into the file, as well as write it into your output folder as a .jpg.

I also use mp3tag, which allows you to open,examine and fix all the tags in a file (including FLAC files as well). You can also fix or update the cover art in this.

Obviously this is easier to do 'as you go' - going back to get art for 600 CDs is no small task

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

At this point, does it matter? Years ago I spent a lot of time embedding album art in every track in my library, and have kept it up for new files since. Pre-8.0 Model S just ignore them and grabbed art from Gracenote. Post-8.0 it just displays the generic music note.

Not a whole lot of benefit just yet.

4. Brunton

Brunton Pontificating the obvious

Not a big deal but I just like to see the album art when the music is playing. Those dumb eighth notes are pretty boring.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Well, like I said, it doesn't work...

Is this working for others as of 8.0 or something? It certainly isn't working on mine, and never has.

6. JeffVanEpps

JeffVanEpps Member

Yes, embedded album art is working for me. I run Ubuntu Linux at home and used the eyeD3 program to embed the folder.jpgs I had around (for Sonos) into the individual mp3 files.

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Interesting. I have album art embedded and it's not working at all on mine. Will have to look into it, I guess.

8. David29

David29 Member

I have never tried to embed album art, but I did make a lot of effort to be sure the tags were correct so that the album art would be fetched by the Tesla from their online database (which is apparently Gracenote according to someone who posted above). So I agree, it is not working.
    If they changed the functionality to require embedded art, I wish the release notes had said so. not that i intend to do the work to fetch and embed art for thousands of songs...!
    Tesla's mistreatment of the USB user in the Audio app is really getting under my skin!

9. jcoverton

jcoverton Member

I keep all my music in Apple Lossless format with embedded album art. I used XLD on a Mac to convert about 6000 songs to FLAC for use in the Tesla. Prior to 8.0 some of my songs did not display art because they were not in Gracenote. I noticed recently that my album art is being displayed. I know my art is taking precedence as some of my covers are unique to my copy of a song. For example I may have the first Japanese pressing of an album and I included the Japanese cover art. Now that is being displayed instead of the generic version.

Now if they can fix being able to select USB songs like you could prior to the update. I especially don't like the missing alpha selector, or the inability to play an album in order for a specific artist. What would be really super would be to make the PLAY voice command search my usb files first before going to the internet.

10. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

A previous post in the Firmware 8.0 thread has some links to programs for Mac and Windows that can add cover art to existing FLAC files (as opposed to adding it at the time the file was encoded.)

11. BertL

BertL Active Member

#11 BertL, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Folks, SOME imbedded Album Art is now appearing for 8.0 USB tracks. The problem is it's inconsistent.

I have 100% of my tracks in iTunes tagged with my own unique art (not iTunes consolidated album version that only works with iTunes and related Apple devices), and all display correctly in iTunes, all of my iOS devices (iPad, iPhone 7, iPod Nano, Apple Watch), as well as in macOS Finder -- but not all tracks will display art with 8.0.

As I've suggested in a couple other threads, I believe the issue is likely related to too-large of an image, be that dimensions or physical size wise, that are not appearing. One would hope Tesla would simply scale any valid art down to what it needs, rather than ignore it. Similarly, 8.0 seems to have broken some 8.0 Phone Media (aka "Bluetooth") art for things like Podcasts that display correctly on the iPhone, but some of which now don't appear on the Media Player Phone screen -- perhaps due to the same limitation as we're seeing with USB, IDK.​

I have personally elected to not spend the detailed time it will take to build copies of the same tracks with many variations of dimensions and then compression to see where Media Player 8.0 Art breaks.

My MS went in for annual service on Tuesday morning. I reported this bug, it's on my Service Invoice, and I asked if there are specific documented restrictions Tesla can provide for Album Art format, dimensions and size, or if the firmware is broken. I will report results (even if it's "to be resolved in a future firmware update") back in both the main Firmware 8.0 and the Comprehensive USB Bug List threads when my MS returns.

12. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

As I mentioned in a very early post, I noticed that my FLAC's, when first played on 8.0 did not display album art at all. Then, over the course of a half hour, I replayed a FLAC and the album art seemed to have been "discovered" somehow. I wonder if the album art is discovered by a background process?

For MAC users, I have been converting high quality songs to FLAC using a program call SWITCH by NCH software.

I have chosen to have the FLACs encoded in the highest quality with sound leveling... and the results are very good.
    I am sure there are other fine tools out there as well...

• Informative x 1
  13. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

I've been using MediaMonkey for years. I have a large collection of files (>50K tracks) and MediaMonkey provides a great toolset for tagging and converting formats on the fly. For album art specifically, you can specify whether the image is front cover, back cover, media label, leaflet page, etc. Artwork display was hit or miss before 8.0, but it seems to be displaying fairly consistently for a small subset of my library.

• Informative x 1
  14. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

After a few days of shuffling through tracks on my USB I can confirm with a high degree of confidence that 8.0 is properly reading the embedded album art from my file tags. As noted in my previous post, I use MediaMonkey for Windows to organize and tag my collection with the option to save artwork to tags. The artwork which I collected for some fairly obscure international and limited edition albums displayed correctly under 8.0 where the media player would have previously shown a random-ish photo of the artist/band.

The media player in 8.0 still has some massive usability issues, but this is a pleasant surprise. Fingers crossed that there's another update to follow that will restore the 7.x hierarchical navigation.

15. bob_p

bob_p Member

I spent about an hour over the weekend and used MediaMonkey to add embedded art into all of my USB music.

At least it works on an album-by-album basis, so it didn't require that much effort to get by "favorites" USB stick updated with album art - that will be correct (instead of the random art we've seen in previous software releases).

But, is this really what Tesla expects their owners to do???