Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Embedding Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While on the regular article page with the video playing (in Firefox browser) do view->page_source
Use the search function to find the title of the article, and look in the JavaScript for the term "embed", then look around for the player function in the JavaScript.
It varies from site to site but typically you find something like http://player_url?id=video_id...

TEG... In this case, I think there would have been an easier way:

vfx... I didn't know what level of detail was necessary so I'll be very detailed (EDIT: I just realized you obviously know how to add a link here, but I've left the info for anyone else who's curious)

On the ...abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6328652 page, there is a "Get URL" button under the viewer. Click it, then come here and you can click on the button that looks like a chain, and paste it like this: ABC News
or you can use the URL /URL commands directly like this.

to do this, you would insert the following line, replacing the parentheses with square brackets:

(URL="http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6328652")this.(/URL)

By the way, in many cases, it may be tougher, and you would have to search the source. Searching the page for the location of the clip (i.e. metacafe.com or youtube.com ) is often the only way to find the link (you can usually tell the location by of the video "bug" in the corner of the frame)

Last edited:
The original GMA page that he linked didn't have a Get URL button from what I could see. It did have a "share" button on the video, that you could use to email a link... Perhaps that would have also worked to get the underlying URL.
In any case "view->source" is the general purpose way to track down the embedded videos even if there isn't an easy way.

As far as I know, the only kind of videos you can embed are youtube vids. Those are the only ones that have worked for me anyhow.

Do this by selecting the url for the youtube video in your post and clicking on the movie reel button. This button doesn't show up in the quick reply feild.

Also you can just type (media)youtube_URL(/media) replacing the parentheses with brackets.

I got some of this. The question is, why or what makes the video un-imbedable?

Thanks to you you both!

The player is what makes it embeddable. I know youtube & google videos supports embedding and in most forums they provide tags for you to use specifically to embed youtube or google videos (for example this forum provides support for only these two, here's the relevant page: Tesla Motors Club Forum - BB Code List).

Most videos from other sites don't support embedding (or it's just they aren't popular enough for forums to support even if they do have embedding code to use).