Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency auto braking with autopilot off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 equipped cars do have AEB even if you did not pay for Autopilot, unless you turned it off in the settings. AP2 cars only have a warning at this point, but will get AEB once the software is validated. Even if you do not purchase the Autopilot features, the hardware will allow AEB and will be standard in all cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Haxster
Good to know. I guess I'll need to be less sloppy in my driving techniques for now.

I would hope you would drive the same regardless. I am more concerned for the situation that I cannot see that the AP2 hardware does. Have you seen the video of the Tesla that starts to break hard before the car directly in front of it starts to break? The hardware, in this case the radar in the AP1 setup, was able to bounce the radar underneath the car directly in front to see the hard breaking of the next car. You can see this on the screen when it shows 2 cars in front if you and you can see it knows the speed and distances of that car that is front of the car in front of you. Pretty life saving stuff.

I would hope you would drive the same regardless. I am more concerned for the situation that I cannot see that the AP2 hardware does. Have you seen the video of the Tesla that starts to break hard before the car directly in front of it starts to break? The hardware, in this case the radar in the AP1 setup, was able to bounce the radar underneath the car directly in front to see the hard breaking of the next car. You can see this on the screen when it shows 2 cars in front if you and you can see it knows the speed and distances of that car that is front of the car in front of you. Pretty life saving stuff.

Of course, I was not serious about my driving attentiveness (lost sarcasm).

With the current version of AP2, I'm frequently annoyed that TACC doesn't respond to slowing traffic in front of the vehicle in front of me. This wastes energy, produces stronger braking forces than an attentive driver would, and increases the risk of being rear-ended. It's good to know that hope "may" be on the way.