Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency brake assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you set off the warning? Like when a car is turning right and you are approaching too fast the car start flashing red on the screen and a beep to warn you? A little after that it will brake for you. I think it has happened to me when a car emerg braked in front of me. Not sure I would recommend testing because it is not designed to stop you to prevent an accident, but to slow you down and minimize damage/injury.

Reactions: kimvellore
I've seen magazines use giant inflatable dummies for their testing purposes. Maybe something along those lines so nothing bad happens other than the dummy if things go wrong? Not really any solid ideas to suggest since it looks like you have an AP1 car we don't tend to have the phantom braking issue that the AP2 cars have which I assume was clever coding to remind you that the safety system works while unsafely panic braking for no apparent other reason at highway speeds in traffic. lol

I just realized after three months of owning my model S I’ve never had the emergency brake assistance engage. Is there a safe way to test it?
If you are referring to what Tesla calls "Automatic Emergency Braking," I've had my Model S for nearly 5 years and it has never actuated AEB -- and I thank my lucky stars for that.
What has happened a few times is a "Forward Collision Warning" that something is my path, which is possibly a precursor to AEB actuation. Sometimes it is a false alarm, typically when there is a car or other object next to the road on a curve, and the car's sensors misinterpret my path. Other times, it is when I am too close to a car in front, or a car abruptly cuts in front.
I have also wondered about testing AEB, but would hesitate to do so. I have seen one or two tests on YouTube videos. You might search for those....

I also wondered about testing it. I’m thinking of a large, but light cardboard box with padding on it, tied to a string. I’d drive slowly through an empty parking lot and have my wife pull the string to suddenly place the box in my path. And maybe a second test where the box is stationary and I drive toward it to see if emergency braking engages.

I also wondered about testing it. I’m thinking of a large, but light cardboard box with padding on it, tied to a string. I’d drive slowly through an empty parking lot and have my wife pull the string to suddenly place the box in my path. And maybe a second test where the box is stationary and I drive toward it to see if emergency braking engages.

Doubt it will see it. It will most likely drive straight through.

Here's a good look at the efficacy of Teslas AEB from a few days ago: Watch a Model 3 drive straight into a flipped semi on a Taiwan highway

That's a good point. Might have to try a few different ways and report back.

wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil. Ought to be good enough and still lightweight. Definitely needs to be moving In relation to the road to be seen.

there is a YouTube video of a guy who got his buddy to step in front of the car to test these features. I don’t recommend dining that! But it is worth watching to see what the car reacted to (spoiler: no Darwin Award was issued).

Reactions: .FP.