TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Emergency Braking in Progress

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Max*, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

So AEB saved my ass today. I am 100% certain it activated today (I thought I had it activate once a long time ago, but now I'm not so sure). This isn't a thread to bash me for what I did, moreso to explain how it activated and what was seen for those interested.

I was driving along in traffic, going about 20-25mph. My kids started arguing, and then my daughter started crying. I turn back, for a split second to see what happened, and all of a sudden I hear the beep-beep-beep (forward collision warning). I turn around, see the car in front of me that was going 20-25mph is now breaking, I think "no big deal" and I start to apply the brakes too.

Except, as it turns out, it was a bigger deal than expected. He was stopping, for who know what reason. The car activated AEB, I got a message on the IC (under the animated car) that stated "Emergency Braking in Progress", and the brake pedal pressed much further into the floor than I had it (I was pressing the brakes anyways, so I felt it go much deeper).

After a few seconds the message went away (I was trying to grab my phone to snap a photo, after it was safe to do so, but it was in my pocket and it took me too long to get it out), and everything resumed back to normal.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
  2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Good feedback. I've had it activate about 5 times but each time it was a false positive. I was beginning to think it didn't work so I'm glad to know it does.

3. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I don't think I've ever had the car automatically apply brakes for me, but that beep beep beep has saved my ass so many times! And every single time it's because of passenger distraction. So frustrating.

I wish Tesla came with this safety device -

upload_2016-8-4_9-30-4.png

• Funny x 3
  4. Boourns

Boourns Member

I thought AEB disengaged once the driver started applying the brakes? Did they change that? (I don't have it so I am genuinely curious).

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I was already applying the brakes (just not hard enough) and THEN it engaged. So I can't answer your question.

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

It's in the Owners Manual. There are a few scenarios where it will disengage. One of them is tapping and releasing the brake pedal if I recall correctly but if you're already braking it should brake harder.

7. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Oh I didn't know AEB will show a message saying it's in progress. Then the few times where I thought AEB was engaged, it didnt really engage I guess

8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

My understanding of most car collisions is that drivers do not apply enough brake. Many brake, but not hard enough...

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Max, thanks for your post, very interesting. That is the first time I can recall reading on TMC that a Tesla driver started to apply the brakes and then felt the AEB kick in and apply the brakes even more strongly. Very cool.

• Like x 1
  10. Boourns

Boourns Member

That must be what I was thinking of. It's good to know it will step in under the circumstances described.

Thanks @Max* for the post, but sorry you had to be the guinea pig! Glad everyone came away safe.

• Like x 2
  11. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

You won't get any judgement from me, I have kids.

Glad AEB worked as intended.

• Like x 1
  12. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Good to know :cool: