Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency door latch handle excessive use

Doublea88

May 18, 2021
NYC
Hey all, does anyone have an issue with front seat passengers who are new to a tesla who mistake the emergency latch for the way to open the door? I had 2 friends in the car and forgot to tell them how to open the door (it just doesn't seem natural or obvious to bring it up). I've had the latch used 3 times already and am worried about it getting damaged further. Thinking of just taping the latch so no one sees it?

All of them. Every time. It's a dumb design. At least in newer ones there's a better icon on the button, but on my 2018 3, it's just a dash line that's like 1 millimeter longer than the window button.

One of many design choices they make that I wish they wouldn't. I have a great car, but a truly great design wouldn't require me to explain to people how to open/close the doors. Or adjust the air conditioner vents.

Reactions: Doublea88

andaconda

Apr 3, 2021
S.W. Montana
Happened to me three times already. First two times I didn’t notice any damage. But this last time it did rip a little bit of the rubber trim off. I’m just glad it didn’t damage the whole section of trim above the window! Now I am very aware of the new passengers in the car and I will Always lecture them on how to open the door properly…

iamnid

Dec 4, 2019
Riverside, CA
I just don't get it. Frameless windows have been around since the 1950s without the complications we have with the Tesla windows. Has anybody had to "recalibrate" their windows on any previous car? Come on Elon, the technology is great but my last Honda had more luxury features than my Tesla MY.
Yes, I have had to recalibrate the windows on all of my previous cars that included frameless windows. 2 were Mustangs and one a Mercedes E coupe. The doors from the 50s didn't have the feature where the window sensed the door was being opened and dropped a quarter of an inch so that the window would clear the seal.

I've not have any problem with people using the emergency release though. I've only had people befuddled, looking over at me asking "how do I open the door." I'm surprised so many of you have friends that found the unmarked door release lever.

TwelveVoltMan

He'll make sparks fly round your head
May 14, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I've not have any problem with people using the emergency release though. I've only had people befuddled, looking over at me asking "how do I open the door." I'm surprised so many of you have friends that found the unmarked door release lever.
Same for me. I wonder what this says about our friends. . . .

Only one passenger of mine figured out the door (inside or outside) on the first try. Luckily I don’t think anyone has pulled the emergency lever. They just press the button with their index finger and expect it to swing open or something.
If you pull the emergency lever ------ You'll get a loud "bleep" on the center screen, and a warning to use the lever only in case of emergency. (or something to that effect)

Schulz1983

Model Y LR AWD: Matte PPF, Vossen HF-1
May 14, 2021
High Ridge MO
If you pull the emergency lever ------ You'll get a loud "bleep" on the center screen, and a warning to use the lever only in case of emergency. (or something to that effect)
We know that but new passengers don’t know that. They generally grab the emergency lever before I notice. Found the stickers to be easier.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC