Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency door latch handle excessive use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, does anyone have an issue with front seat passengers who are new to a tesla who mistake the emergency latch for the way to open the door? I had 2 friends in the car and forgot to tell them how to open the door (it just doesn't seem natural or obvious to bring it up). I've had the latch used 3 times already and am worried about it getting damaged further. Thinking of just taping the latch so no one sees it?

All of them. Every time. It's a dumb design. At least in newer ones there's a better icon on the button, but on my 2018 3, it's just a dash line that's like 1 millimeter longer than the window button.

One of many design choices they make that I wish they wouldn't. I have a great car, but a truly great design wouldn't require me to explain to people how to open/close the doors. Or adjust the air conditioner vents.

Reactions: Doublea88
Happened to me three times already. First two times I didn’t notice any damage. But this last time it did rip a little bit of the rubber trim off. I’m just glad it didn’t damage the whole section of trim above the window! Now I am very aware of the new passengers in the car and I will Always lecture them on how to open the door properly…

I just don't get it. Frameless windows have been around since the 1950s without the complications we have with the Tesla windows. Has anybody had to "recalibrate" their windows on any previous car? Come on Elon, the technology is great but my last Honda had more luxury features than my Tesla MY.

I just don't get it. Frameless windows have been around since the 1950s without the complications we have with the Tesla windows. Has anybody had to "recalibrate" their windows on any previous car? Come on Elon, the technology is great but my last Honda had more luxury features than my Tesla MY.
Yes, I have had to recalibrate the windows on all of my previous cars that included frameless windows. 2 were Mustangs and one a Mercedes E coupe. The doors from the 50s didn't have the feature where the window sensed the door was being opened and dropped a quarter of an inch so that the window would clear the seal.

I've not have any problem with people using the emergency release though. I've only had people befuddled, looking over at me asking "how do I open the door." I'm surprised so many of you have friends that found the unmarked door release lever.

Only one passenger of mine figured out the door (inside or outside) on the first try. Luckily I don’t think anyone has pulled the emergency lever. They just press the button with their index finger and expect it to swing open or something.
If you pull the emergency lever ------ You'll get a loud "bleep" on the center screen, and a warning to use the lever only in case of emergency. (or something to that effect)

My spouse opened the passenger door with the emergency release.. *before we left the Tesla lot on pickup day* !!!! 🙄😣😨🤦‍♂️ a warning popped up on screen "could cause damage" - then last week I had one other person pull it but no error message.. both times the window did drop down as it opened, as if w the button, is it possible they pushed out an update to drop the window and removed the warning? (7/22 for reference)

My spouse opened the passenger door with the emergency release.. *before we left the Tesla lot on pickup day* !!!! 🙄😣😨🤦‍♂️ a warning popped up on screen "could cause damage" - then last week I had one other person pull it but no error message.. both times the window did drop down as it opened, as if w the button, is it possible they pushed out an update to drop the window and removed the warning? (7/22 for reference)
They may have done an update to fix the problem. We need a couple of volunteers to test it out. Any takers?

Reactions: HellsKitchen
We know that but new passengers don’t know that. They generally grab the emergency lever before I notice. Found the stickers to be easier.
It is a very natural place to do it...I did the same thing when I first got in one...I've had a number of people do that so now I warn them if I remember.....It is placed in a stupid place..if it is emergency it should NOT be a place that is natural for people to want to pull it....

Hey all, does anyone have an issue with front seat passengers who are new to a tesla who mistake the emergency latch for the way to open the door? I had 2 friends in the car and forgot to tell them how to open the door (it just doesn't seem natural or obvious to bring it up). I've had the latch used 3 times already and am worried about it getting damaged further. Thinking of just taping the latch so no one sees it?

if you roll down the windows before everyone gets out, the emergency latch cant damage the trim.