Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

emergency escape

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I just had a thought after hearing about the battery fires in some tesla's. How would you emergency escape from a Tesla if there was no power? tried to look it up on Tesla.com/firstresponders but tells you how to get out of the rear seats but not the fromt seats. did not find anything in the service manual. This would also apply to standard cars controlled by a fob etc.

Thank you

81qQ6q903rL._SL1500_.jpg

The handles on the front seat are physically linked to the latch. It's just the rear seats that aren't for some reason, they use the tabs under the seat.

The model 3 has NO mechanical way of opening the rear latches for some reason, but at least the S does.

Ask yourself this.....how do you get out of your car when it's not on fire? Since the inside handle is mechanical like it is on ALL cars just pull. o_O
Not all cars so it's not a dumb question. Many cars have electronic opening mechanisms and some hidden manual release to meet safety standard requirements. I think many assume the Tesla is electronic.

Blame the media that has sensationalized people getting trapped in their Tesla and burning to death. If for some reason that fails and you need out immediately, break the glass... just like any other car that is burning and you can't open the door.

Reactions: maximizese
I think the problem is people are saying if/when in an accident, on goers that attempt to help are unable to access the car, because the exterior door handles didn't (hypothetically) extract. I thought they automatically extract when an accident is detected, but apparently that's the issue, when they don't.

I think the problem is people are saying if/when in an accident, on goers that attempt to help are unable to access the car, because the exterior door handles didn't (hypothetically) extract. I thought they automatically extract when an accident is detected, but apparently that's the issue, when they don't.
Most first responders just break the windows. Fast and easy entrance and access to the interior door handle.

There are usually rocks around... everywhere. They work great for breaking windows.

Yes, "Rescuing People that were in an accident in their Tesla's and are not conscious for Idiots" - the book by mspohr! You can also use your head, if you so choose.

I was merely making an observation. I believe that has been an issue with some of the Tesla accidents. People are saying they were unable to assist as the door handles were inaccessible. Whereas the OP, asked how to exit from inside.

It can sometimes not be easy to break glass on cars. Even big rocks sometimes glance off, if you can find one. Glass is stronger then you think. Remember the car is burning, seconds are going by and your the only one that is willing to get involved.

If occupant is unconscious, the fire is raging hot, you have a problem on your hands and have to think fast. Then your successful breaking the glass, you still have to know where the handle is inside. That may not be clear to many. In a model S thats burning, its not clear at all if you look at your own handle if your an S owner from the outside with glass intact you can't see the handle at all. Take a look. You know where it is and can't see it.

Your right they don't always extend out in an accident, even if they did, the power source has to be intact for them to actuate. That leaves only one way in if occupant(s) are unconscious. Break the glass.

Most first responders just break the windows. Fast and easy entrance and access to the interior door handle.
There are usually rocks around... everywhere. They work great for breaking windows.

Reactions: Zishan
It can sometimes not be easy to break glass on cars. Even big rocks sometimes glance off, if you can find one. Glass is stronger then you think. Remember the car is burning, seconds are going by and your the only one that is willing to get involved.

If occupant is unconscious, the fire is raging hot, you have a problem on your hands and have to think fast. Then your successful breaking the glass, you still have to know where the handle is inside. That may not be clear to many. In a model S thats burning, its not clear at all if you look at your own handle if your an S owner from the outside with glass intact you can't see the handle at all. Take a look. You know where it is and can't see it.

Your right they don't always extend out in an accident, even if they did, the power source has to be intact for them to actuate. That leaves only one way in if occupant(s) are unconscious. Break the glass.

Glass is strong, but not for the reasons you might think. A blunt object might have a difficult time breaking through tempered glass, but something with a pointed-tip like Seattlite2004 has shown would work...so would the tip of a dinky spark plug. Remember what thieves were using those to break into cars?

Tesla is no different than any other car with the doors locked. Can't open the door handles. Break the window.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Seattlite2004 has shown would work...so would the tip of a dinky spark plug

Sometimes, those items are not available. Just not around. Spark plug(certainly not) is the best or a piece of porcelain is what is really doing it with the spark plug. N/A.

Now what.

Then we go to the back seats, that was the first thing I showed my daughter who rides back there mostly. Now I had her pull as hard as her 18 year old little hand could on that emergency release. She could not quite do it. I think if it came to it she could get it done. At least she knows where it is from day one. How about others that happen into the back seat? You really gotta be thinking. This is a thinking persons car after all.

Not all cars so it's not a dumb question. Many cars have electronic opening mechanisms and some hidden manual release to meet safety standard requirements. I think many assume the Tesla is electronic.

Blame the media that has sensationalized people getting trapped in their Tesla and burning to death. If for some reason that fails and you need out immediately, break the glass... just like any other car that is burning and you can't open the door.
Isnt there a specific set of guidelines a manufacturer has to follow for inside door handles for emergency purposes ie make all inside handles function with power loss?

In the old days, back when i was a lad etc etc
If you needed a new windscreen then it was a trip to the breakers yard, find the model you needed and the owner would climb into the wreck and kick the windscreen out from inside while you played catch from the outside. Of course that was when they were held in with rubber as opposed to stuck on but does illustrate how tough they are. Possibly worth having an automatic centre punch in the emergency kit (not the electric glove box)