Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance - do you have it on?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

First post other than replies, I picked up my 2017 Model X P100D last Wednesday.

Sorry if it's been discussed before, have read a LOT on forums inc this one, haven't seen discussed.

I'm driving on the 5 in the carpool lane a few times over the last few days, and I'm not sure why, maybe it's detecting a vein in the road...I'm not on autopilot or even cruise control. A few times now, it lurches - steering to try to get me 'back into the lane' i'm guessing. I guessed it was the Emergency Lane Departure thing because it was one of the first things I tried out - purposefully driving over double yellow lines on an empty road a few days ago. I noticed how it guided me back in - seemed like a good idea and I was impressed with how nicely it put me back where I was supposed to be.

But on the 5, the carpool lane is SUPER close to the concrete barriers. It freaked me the F out. Because it's trying to put me to the LEFT of the vein in the road, I think, or I don't even know. It just thinks I should be further left in the lane which is just uncomfortably close to the concrete barrier, especially in a larger car that I'm used to. After it did it 4 or 5 times, I turned off the 'feature'. It didn't seem to do it again, although one time it did a minor lurch.

So that's why I decided to post. What's other people's experience with this feature? Do you have it on? What about the one that 'accelerates' to avoid a collision? Could that have caused the lurch after I turned the lane departure off? Do I need to turn most of these off to get back a controllable vehicle? It was pretty disconcerting and freaked me out. This is my first Tesla, I've come from sports cars, Toyota Supras, BMW 2 and 4 series - you know, fast cars that you get used to driving fast and being super in control. I've always been someone that likes to focus completely on driving and enjoy it, etc.

But, in buying Tesla, I'm also looking forward to enjoying the technology and especially the safety features. I don't want to necessarily turn features off that seem like safety - especially after reading the big warning when I went to turn it off. But if everyone else turns it off and agrees it's an issue, then I'll probably feel ok. Do other people mostly have it on or off? Any issues with it? Am I just freaking out because I'm not used to it yet? Did I just imagine it??!

Thank you!

Yes, it takes a while to get used to the features and trust them. Since you are so new to Tesla I would turn most of the features off and try them a few at a time. By the way I drive the I 5 all the time and love letting the car steer as close to the wall as possible on autopilot. I am not comfortable doing it manually. The emergency lane departure avoidance feature last week would not allow me to change one lane to the right when merging from Highway 1 in Monterey to take the 68 exit because the car behind me accelerated past me on the right when I signaled. I saw that the car was also going for the exit and I thought I had plenty of room to follow it, but the Tesla would not allow a lane change for a second try. Finally I just made it to the exit. (Note, not on autopilot, 2020 X). After almost 4 years of driving an X, I trust most of the features, but I always hold on to the wheel just in case.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Yes, it takes a while to get used to the features and trust them. Since you are so new to Tesla I would turn most of the features off and try them a few at a time. By the way I drive the I 5 all the time and love letting the car steer as close to the wall as possible on autopilot. I am not comfortable doing it manually. The emergency lane departure avoidance feature last week would not allow me to change one lane to the right when merging from Highway 1 in Monterey to take the 68 exit because the car behind me accelerated past me on the right when I signaled. I saw that the car was also going for the exit and I thought I had plenty of room to follow it, but the Tesla would not allow a lane change for a second try. Finally I just made it to the exit. (Note, not on autopilot, 2020 X). After almost 4 years of driving an X, I trust most of the features, but I always hold on to the wheel just in case.

Great advice. Wow, I tried once to let it autosteer on autopilot in the carpool lane. That was even worse for my freaking out. But you're right, I'm new to this. I also haven't upgraded to AP HW 3.0, it's still stuck on 2.0. It's booked in for October 1. Maybe that will give me more confidence as well.

So keeping it on full navigate on autopilot or at least autosteer, in carpool, you've never had any scary issues, ever? That's amazing.