Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a calendar event entitled “Turn Off ELDA”, starting at 12AM and ending at 11:59 PM, (makes it the first item at the top) repeating daily. I then set my calendar to pop up every time I get in the car. I’ve forgotten to turn ELDA off a few times since getting 20.2.1 and it hasn’t spazzed out on me in the usual spots, or anywhere else for that matter. Did they dial it back a few notches or is it getting smarter?

Reactions: HBDesiato
Updated to 20.4.1 over the weekend. Still no way to disable ELDA permanently.

The same false positives still pop up on my commute. Like with the previous update, I can't even perceive that it's moving the car, so all it's doing is chirping at me uselessly.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I have mine set to "Warn only" - so it doesn't take any evasive maneuvers. It also only rumbles the steering wheel - there is no audio alert.

This setting is not particularly intrusive.

Have those of you frustrated with this system set yours up this way as a test?

It is a different setting/feature that is being discussed. Emergency Lane departure is either on or off, no other options. It turns itself back on each trip just like AEB. And it can take control of the steering if it is on no matter what your settings are for regular Lane Depature.

I have mine set to "Warn only" - so it doesn't take any evasive maneuvers. It also only rumbles the steering wheel - there is no audio alert.

This setting is not particularly intrusive.

Have those of you frustrated with this system set yours up this way as a test?
That’s Lane Departure Avoidance (LDA) that has the multiple settings, not Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance (ELDA) which does not have those settings and which turns itself back on at the start of every drive and which is the subject of this discussion thread.

That said, my girlfriend and I have allowed our cars to upgrade (now 2019.20.1) and have not been experiencing any engagements at all of ELDA, despite driving daily on some narrow roads with intrusions from fixed objects on the side of the road. I’m glad to see no false positives but I would still love to see videos from folks who are experiencing these to better understand what can freak it out.

That one pair of videos I discount as both maneuvers appeared appropriate for it to kick in: in the first the driver was in danger of a collision by aggressively changing lanes while another driver was coming up fast around them and in the second, they chose to unnecessarily leave the onramp lane while close to a wall. I can understand that the driver might not want their car to interfere no matter what they might choose to do, but at least ELDA wasn’t doing something unfounded or unreasonable.

So again, I would love to see videos of what sound like clearly unreasonable and potentially dangerous interventions that have been described here, even if it only results in the audible warning with the newer versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richt
Just been updated to 2019.16.2 yesterday. I have had 3 false positives of the Emergency Lane Departure feature panicking.

Twice yesterday panicking at vehicles clearly in another lane. One of which sent me outside of my lane, and very close to a Semi.

Today, it panicked at an incomplete Arrow in my lane. Got this one on camera, I;m definitely in my lane and it flinches at this arrow.

View attachment 411400

Anyone else had any false positives?

Yes we have had false positives. There can be some very good reasons why someone may want to hug the side of the road and yet when I do I get the "screech", "screech", "screech". For example, when an emergency vehicle is approaching we are required by law to pull over to the side of the road. Also, when a wide load is approaching it is advisable to move over a little to the right. If there is an object or pothole in the road, you want to pull over to avoid it. When there is some rough road and you want your wheels on a track that isn't so rough. Every time we get the jarring "screech", "screech", "screech". It is a real nuisance to go through a dozen actions to turn off the Emergency Lane Departure warning. I wish that Tesla would realize that this safety feature ought to be able to be turned off completely instead of reinstating it every time the car starts up.

I also have a bone to pick regarding the self driving feature. I've tried it on a trial basis twice and have deleted it both times. The last time I nearly got run off the road by a semi truck 18 wheeler. The car insisted on staying in the middle of the passing lane on the interstate and it just kept the same speed when passing so I was creeping past the truck. Fortunately when I got up to the cab I noticed he just had turned on his left turn signal to change lanes and there was a light on his door that started blinking. Then I had to forcefully wrestle the steering wheel to get control of the car, move a bit to the left and stomp on the accelerator. If my wife had been driving I'm not sure that she could have regained control of the car.

Here's how I pass a semi on the Interstate. First I gauge the closing speeds between me and the semi. Then I check to see what is behind me and the speed that they are going. If there is room so I don't have to wait for them to pass, I speed up or beyond to what the traffic is traveling. I then put on my left turn signal and pass the semi. Even if there is no traffic behind me, I speed up to get past the semi more quickly. Then when I'm passing I'm moving out of the center of the lane to the left to give more cushion on my right and a little less room on the left. I also am looking at the tires on the semi and listening as well. Many semis use retread tires and you can see big chunks of them often on the road. I have a better idea of what can happen if I look and listen for a pending tread separation.

The Tesla software insists on keeping in the center of the passing lane and does not speed up when passing a semi. It also has no way of knowing if the truck is about to lose a tread. It also doesn't match the speed of the traffic behind.

I've driven a motorcycle for over 300,000 miles and am here to tell about it. The advanced motorcycle courses teach a 2 second rule and a 12 second rule. The 2 second rule is widely known and that is that you keep 2 seconds of distance between you and the car ahead of you. Just pick a point that the car passes (lane markings or fence post, etc.) count one thousand one, one thousand two and you should be passing that same point. That way no matter what speed you are going you will have adequate distance to react if the car ahead does an emergency stop.

The 12 second rule very few people know about. That is to keep an eye out about 12 seconds ahead of you. Then survey for what could happen. Perhaps there is a vehicle approaching from a side street and they could pull out in front of you. Or, maybe there is a car approaching you that is moving to the left turn lane that could cross your path. Even if there is no left turn lane if you can see a slight dip in the front bumper signaling that may be slowing to make a left turn in front of you. Then it is up to you to make a plan of action if any of these possibilities and many more come true. It may be to slow down, or even speed up, or pick a spot that you can go through maybe on the side of the road. Also, use your lights and horn if that will suffice. As far as I know the Tesla software does not use the 12 second rule.

It has a very limited ability to forecast the future. For example, just something as easy as gauging a car in your lane slowing to turn right. The Tesla software just sees the closing speeds without knowledge the car will be out of your way before they collide. Thus, "screech", "screech", "screech" so I have to turn off that feature as well.

Perhaps in several years the Tesla software may be as good as a good driver, until then please let us turn off the "screech", "screech", "screech".

By the way, another safety trick to use in town is to look at the pedestrian lights that will count down so the pedestrian knows whether to start across the street. As a driver that will tell you whether you will make the light or whether the yellow is imminent (there are campaigns out there to teach drivers that "yellow" does not mean speed up) and you should slow down to avoid a panic stop and the possibility of someone rear-ending you.

This weekend I was merging onto a highway (No EAP), crossing a dotted line w/ blinker on, and the car behind me on the ramp (Maserati Levante) must have been merging at a high rate bc the system chimed, red lined, and the wheel motioned to move me back into the on ramp lane (which is very long), as if he was in my blind spot. I was able to merely keep my hand in place and the car stayed straight as I merged onto the highway at an appropriate rate of speed to avoid any issues.

So far, the system works great. Only ever had one false ELDA alert. LDA is nice and not intrusive.

• Helpful
Reactions: hcdavis3
Covered this in another thread, but ELDA almost had me kill someone this weekend.

Coming around a corner on a secondary, residential suburban road. After the corner is about a 1/3 mile of a straightaway, and there was another car approaching in the opposite lane, on the other end of the straight... there was a landscaping truck in my lane, with cones out and lights on, no big deal, he's doing what he's supposed to be.

I had the time and space to swerve into the oncoming lane and pass the obstacle before it affected the car coming towards me, so I did...as soon as I did, ELDA freaked out and attempted to put me back into the lane, where I would have struck the guy getting out of the truck. As it was, the car jerked me a little closer before I pulled hard enough to override it, so the guy probably thought I was an a-hole, but it could have been much worse.

I reported the bug.

I do not like ELDA, and if I am driving, I do not want it on.

Covered this in another thread, but ELDA almost had me kill someone this weekend.

Coming around a corner on a secondary, residential suburban road. After the corner is about a 1/3 mile of a straightaway, and there was another car approaching in the opposite lane, on the other end of the straight... there was a landscaping truck in my lane, with cones out and lights on, no big deal, he's doing what he's supposed to be.

I had the time and space to swerve into the oncoming lane and pass the obstacle before it affected the car coming towards me, so I did...as soon as I did, ELDA freaked out and attempted to put me back into the lane, where I would have struck the guy getting out of the truck. As it was, the car jerked me a little closer before I pulled hard enough to override it, so the guy probably thought I was an a-hole, but it could have been much worse.

I reported the bug.

I do not like ELDA, and if I am driving, I do not want it on.
Send a report to Tesla.

That one pair of videos I discount as both maneuvers appeared appropriate for it to kick in: in the first the driver was in danger of a collision by aggressively changing lanes while another driver was coming up fast around them and in the second, they chose to unnecessarily leave the onramp lane while close to a wall. I can understand that the driver might not want their car to interfere no matter what they might choose to do, but at least ELDA wasn’t doing something unfounded or unreasonable.
Yeah my videos are not intended to show true false positives. I've had it freak out at a parked car as well, but the pair of videos were intended to show the system intervening during intentional maneuvers - sort of "soft" false positives. The car assumed that my lane change and my outside setup through the on ramp were unintentional, even though they were intentional. It's working 'as intended', but is the intent reasonable? Sounds like you'd say yes.

What if EDLA intervenes in a situation like this, and changes a "close call" into an accident? Is that OK?

I could easily argue that on balance, these new driver's aids will save far more lives than they take (if any). That feels reasonable.

But if the drivers were never warned about the behavior of the systems, or trained on where and when they work, does that make a difference? That changes the calculus for me.

The point is that as these driver's aids get more and more intrusive, we start entering a grey area where in some situations they may actually get less helpful or even be more dangerous. The interesting thing is that I can't yet figure out if that's good or bad.

Reactions: jkeyser14
It is a different setting/feature that is being discussed. Emergency Lane departure is either on or off, no other options. It turns itself back on each trip just like AEB. And it can take control of the steering if it is on no matter what your settings are for regular Lane Depature.

Weird - then I haven't triggered it since I bought the car.

How does one trigger lane departure warning (which I have done) and not ELDA (which I have never experienced)? It seems like they should go hand in hand . . .

How does one trigger lane departure warning (which I have done) and not ELDA (which I have never experienced)? It seems like they should go hand in hand . . .

Supposedly ELDA triggers when the car think you are going to collide with something (vs just leaving your lane). I had it trigger once in the first release, it makes very loud beeps, red lines and steering wheel intervention. Makes your heart race. My trigger was cutting a corner short when getting on the freeway ramp. Car thought I was going to hit something apparently.

Since then I have not had it trigger. I think they toned it down in the subsequent releases, although it is still problematic for some folks.

For ELDA, the car has to think you are going to hit something. The basic LDA steering or vibrate function is related to lines on the road.

What @Az_Rael said.

Supposedly ELDA triggers when the car think you are going to collide with something (vs just leaving your lane). I had it trigger once in the first release, it makes very loud beeps, red lines and steering wheel intervention. Makes your heart race. My trigger was cutting a corner short when getting on the freeway ramp. Car thought I was going to hit something apparently.

Since then I have not had it trigger. I think they toned it down in the subsequent releases, although it is still problematic for some folks.

I just got the dune buggy update yesterday, so maybe it's different now

I just love it when I'm driving past construction workers who are working in an adjacent lane and I try to give them a wide berth by driving towards the edge of my lane (given that there's a generous shoulder next to my lane), and then my car blares an alarm at me and tries to force my car to steer towards the aforementioned construction workers.

It's really one of those underrated Tesla features. Keeps me on my toes. (And my heart in my throat). :rolleyes: :mad:

I was hugging the left side of my lane to steer clear of a suspicious looking Civic doing about 45mph on the freeway. A car approached from my left, triggering ELDA and nearly sending my into a spin. Luckily my years of autocross training kicked in and I was able to counter-steer and maintain control of the vehicle.
Just kidding :D. The alarm went off and I held the steering wheel while the car tried to send me to the right. Really, now that I've associated the alarm sound with the need to firmly grab the steering wheel I don't find it all that obtrusive. I do agree that Tesla should have warned people about this new feature and should provide some data about how much it improves safety.