Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency lights and Semi truck not detected by 2021 Model 3 tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the way to work in Havre de Grace Maryland on 29 Dec 2021 at 7:49pm I exited off I-95 at Aberdeen exit. As merged onto Aberdeen throughway, I saw a semi tractor trailer facing oncoming traffic parked on the shoulder flanked by two emergency police vehicles. It was dark enough that everyone's low beams and driving lights were on. I looked down at the M3 screen.
  • As I approached the incident, I expected the cars vision only sensors to detect three objects. Nothing was displayed, so I presumed that no algorithm estimations were assembled or that some classification rule precluded their projection onto the M3's display.
  • As I was at closes point of approach, I expected the vision only sensor to detect, estimate, and classify three objects. I was two car lanes from the Maryland State Police cars. Nothing was on the display.
I presume that the Semi-truck that was not moving presented a challenge to the M3 algorithm, but I've seen other stationary trucks on the road displayed on M3.​
I presume that the flashing emergence lights presented a challenge to the M3 display algorithm, but not even the cars were displayed. I only have views of the cars moving in the lanes ahead of me.​

On the way to work in Havre de Grace Maryland on 29 Dec 2021 at 7:49pm I exited off I-95 at Aberdeen exit. As merged onto Aberdeen throughway, I saw a semi tractor trailer facing oncoming traffic parked on the shoulder flanked by two emergency police vehicles. It was dark enough that everyone's low beams and driving lights were on. I looked down at the M3 screen.
  • As I approached the incident, I expected the cars vision only sensors to detect three objects. Nothing was displayed, so I presumed that no algorithm estimations were assembled or that some classification rule precluded their projection onto the M3's display.
  • As I was at closes point of approach, I expected the vision only sensor to detect, estimate, and classify three objects. I was two car lanes from the Maryland State Police cars. Nothing was on the display.
I presume that the Semi-truck that was not moving presented a challenge to the M3 algorithm, but I've seen other stationary trucks on the road displayed on M3.​
I presume that the flashing emergence lights presented a challenge to the M3 display algorithm, but not even the cars were displayed. I only have views of the cars moving in the lanes ahead of me.​
Owners can expect a lot but what counts is what your car can actually do.

The manual says:

"...Model 3 detects lights from an emergency vehicle when using Autosteer at night on a high speed road, the driving speed is automatically reduced and the touchscreen displays a message informing you of the slowdown. You will also hear a chime and see a reminder to keep your hands on the steering wheel..."

Thus, let's review:

1) Lights from an emergency vehicle: Checked
2) At night: Checked
3) High Speed Road: How fast was the traffic?
4) touchscreen displays a message: Note that it does not promise you a display of an emergency vehicle.

Additionally, the manual says:

"WARNING: Never depend on Autopilot features to determine the presence of emergency vehicles. Model 3 may not detect lights from emergency vehicles in all situations. Keep your eyes on your driving path and always be prepared to take immediate action."

It's the nature of Tesla technology: That means it may or may not work. Don't count on it.

Reactions: Gasaraki
First, were you using Autosteer? If not, then I wouldn't expect it to do anything. The current detection is only about slowing AP down when it detects emergency vehicles.

I was two car lanes from the Maryland State Police cars.
If you were using Autosteer this may be the reason that it didn't do anything, as it may consider something two lanes over as not needing to report it and slow down.

Reactions: Gasaraki
I was on a high speed road. I exited I-95 slowed down to 45mph and was doing about 50mph when I observed the incident on my left side about half a mile ahead. I was not in Autosteer having touched the brakes coming off I-95. No message on display. More importantly none of the vehicles to my left associated with the incident were displayed: the 18 wheel semi or the two police cruisers.

Like to help Tesla corporate allowing them to access the parametric data in my car as a data point for further review.

This website is not "Tesla" nor is it affiliated with tesla, so posting here is not going to do that. Also, the view that what you are looking at on the screen does not always represent everything the car is seeing. If you are trying to get ahold of "Tesla" you likely should try emailing a public facing tesla email address that deals with autopilot.

perhaps the autopilot / FSD subforum here has such an address, you can search it to see (I dont know, as I also am not affiliated with tesla, and do not follow FSD stuff that closely).

Reactions: rpiotro
I was on a high speed road. I exited I-95 slowed down to 45mph and was doing about 50mph when I observed the incident on my left side about half a mile ahead. I was not in Autosteer having touched the brakes coming off I-95. No message on display. More importantly none of the vehicles to my left associated with the incident were displayed: the 18 wheel semi or the two police cruisers.
If you are not on Autopilot, it doesn't do anything. Problem solved.