Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Roadside Kit / Jack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finished putting together my emergency / roadside kit for the Tesla...

First aid kit, basic hand tools, roadside safety items, jack, 12v compressor with sealant, tire plug kit and E100 Fire Extinguisher... REALLY happy with how it turned out.

Especially the jack... Its the one from the Ram Promaster and the alignment nipple works perfectly. I appreciate it has a high weight rating and high lift. Also has a pretty nifty feature of including a thumbwheel to allow you to move it up to the chassis without tools AND it even has the same size nut (21mm) as the wheel lugs so I can interchange the socket as needed.

The safety vest and reflective triangle actually came in the Tesla first aid / emergency kit but I thought they worked better in with the cloth Jack / lug wrench set. Also gave me a bit more room to add in some more minor first aid items such as regular band aids, burn gel and antibiotic ointment. Things I may need more often taking the kids to soccer or other activities.

Also loving the small fire extinguisher. Watched a lot of vids and reviews... It seems awesome and I'll likely get some for my other vehicles. Maybe even the home garage and kitchen.

Not sure if we will take the Tesla for long family trips but if we do, I may add a spare wheel / tire for those trips as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0852S.JPG
    IMG_0852S.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0853S.JPG
    IMG_0853S.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0855S.JPG
    IMG_0855S.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0856S.JPG
    IMG_0856S.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0858S.JPG
    IMG_0858S.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 292
I got this jack. All the Amazon steel ones are really weak. All made in China. I tried several.

Pretty much any OEM jack is much better.

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

I got this beast for a compressor, pumps real fast.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6

I got a similar No name plug kit from Amazon. Used it once. It got the job done, but it was a chore. Not that happy with it. Really cheaply made, tools bend easy.

Almost anything that isn’t name brand on Amazon is junk. Some stuff you can get away with. That doesn’t mean all name brand stuff is good either. Your jack will probably get the job done but beware. Someone that bought the Modern Spare package came with a similar jack. It buckled on him. There are no standards on the weight rating.

Reactions: Daniel454
The jack I picked up was made for the Ram promaster, a 4600lb commercial van.

It weighs more than the one from that Model 3 link but I was more interested in making sure it could handle the vehicle weight than saving a couple pounds.

Now the plug kit feedback, very disappointing to hear that but guess I shouldn’t be too surprised. 😢

It weighs more than the one from that Model 3 link but I was more interested in making sure it could handle the vehicle weight than saving a couple pounds.

Now the plug kit feedback, very disappointing to hear that but guess I shouldn’t be too surprised. 😢
I stand corrected on your jack. Sounds beefy enough. :)

• Love

I have been using this kit for years. I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

Have you seen these? They work great.

Quick Release Nozzle.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been using this kit for years. I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

Have you seen these? They work great.

View attachment 810237
Oh that’s awesome, no had not seen those, I’ll give them a try! Thanks!

Did you read the 206 1-star reviews claiming how the tools fall apart?

At least you didn’t spend as much as I did for cheap crap.

I don't need to read it. I have been using this kit for years. I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

I plugged at least 10 tires with it and the tools have not shown any signs of falling apart.

The price may be cheap, but the tools are not crap.

I don't need to read it. I have been using this kit for years. I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

I plugged at least 10 tires with it and the tools have not shown any signs of falling apart.

The price may be cheap, but the tools are not crap.
Companies that sell stuff like that change manufacturers ALL the time. Maybe what you have is different than what they sell today. My handles are not plastic but still the needle is weak, soft metal.

I appreciate the warnings above and as with other cheap stuff / tools I think the moral of the story is to test them before you NEED them.

Which I shall do soon. Not going to intentionally put a hole in a good tire on the Tesla so I will have to use another spare which is not ideal but better than no test.

Have you had an opportunity to try the promaster jack? Can you share some pictures of it in use. The Porsche jack is way too overpriced now and I need to find a reliable alternative to the modern spare scissor jack. Did you consider any other jacks before you decided on the promaster?

Have you had an opportunity to try the promaster jack? Can you share some pictures of it in use. The Porsche jack is way too overpriced now and I need to find a reliable alternative to the modern spare scissor jack. Did you consider any other jacks before you decided on the promaster?
I have.

Right after getting it I raised the front to test (and tofamiliarize myself with "Jack Mode" so I am not learning that during an emergency) and raised the back last weekend to get a better view of the rear tires to check for the premature inner 21" tire wear.

Worked great both times. Now I have only used it on concrete / asphalt so the above post is accurate, subpar base will not be as smooth but not having to run this one very far up to get the tires off should help with that.

Here are a few pictures.

Being a bit larger than needed also pushes the end out away form the car panel a lot, which I love.

Also note in the first picture, the large knurled knob on the end, this is great for spinning it to get it up to the car body by hand (and could even use it the last bit of the lowering too).

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

I have.

Right after getting it I raised the front to test (and tofamiliarize myself with "Jack Mode" so I am not learning that during an emergency) and raised the back last weekend to get a better view of the rear tires to check for the premature inner 21" tire wear.

Worked great both times. Now I have only used it on concrete / asphalt so the above post is accurate, subpar base will not be as smooth but not having to run this one very far up to get the tires off should help with that.

Here are a few pictures.

Being a bit larger than needed also pushes the end out away form the car panel a lot, which I love.

Also note in the first picture, the large knurled knob on the end, this is great for spinning it to get it up to the car body by hand (and could even use it the last bit of the lowering too).

Thanks for the feedback and the pictures. Looks like a sturdy jack. Will most likely pick one up before the price skyrockets!

Would you mind sending a list of the items you purchased? I'm putting together a similar kit for my car now and yours like well thought out.
Sure, but looks like many of them arent available anymore.... Still though, can probably find similar or newer versions., likely linked straight form the old pages linked below..

You can find the Jack I bought on eBay, just search for" Ram Promaster Jack" (also try "Ram Pro Master Jack"). Should be able to find one with the cloth roll up cover for ~$60 or so shipped. Be careful, they have two versions, one with a plastic holder, one with the cloth.

The tire plug kit was from Amazon for about $19: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JFNDF3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not showing in stock anymore and as said above, its probably not the bet quality. I did test it once on an old tire and it worked ok but I'd definitely look into finding one with more consistent reviews or the other suggestion above: Tire Tools, Supplies and Changers from Myers Tire Supply | Myers Tire Supply

The roadside / emergency kit was from Tesla: Roadside Safety Kit

Its pricey at $65 (You may can save a few $$s on eBay there too). It included things such as the warning triangle and the high vis safety vest. I moved those over to the jack set which made room in the red Tesla bag for additional minor cut / incident first aid items from Walmart (Smaller band aids, burn jell, tape, cold compress, antibiotic ointment, etc.). You could build that set a lot cheaper but I liked the bright red bag and also noteworthy, it comes with the Velcro style bottom so if you don't have a liner in your trunk, it keeps it from sliding around.

Element E100 fire extinguisher I picked up from Element E100 Fire Extinguisher for EV Owners
That manufacturer appears to control the pricing of the product, I couldn't find it advertised cheaper anywhere else but evannex did have a $10 off coupon available at the time so total for that was $110. You can find a smaller version out there (E50) for about $75.

The 12v compressor / sealant set ($60), extending lug wrench ($25) and the extra 21mm non-marring socket ($8) were all from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ2TBL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KG2EOP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8A57PS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That compressor appears to be VERY SIMILAR to the one Tesla used to sell (but has been sold out for months) and I have a very similar one that came with my previous vehicles so fairly confident they are all made by the same company and the few times I used the other ones, they worked well, albeit a little slow.

I should mention, you don't HAVE to get that extending lug wrench set and extra 21mm socket as the jack uses a 21mm socket on the end so technically the jack set comes with a 21mm attachment that COULD be used.... Its very basic though and really made more for the jack than lug nuts so while technically it would work, I thought it would KILL my hands. So I went the other direction, tossed the arms that came with the jack and since it uses 21mm, I will be using the extending lug wrench on the jack it self to raise the vehicle. One less thing to carry and much better quality.

The rest of the hand tools / headlamp / zip ties / Black & White storage bag were all extras I had laying around.

Hate its not a simple click through and add to cart but still hope this helps.